Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 12:19 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
71 N pushed 20n would end up being 89N and in Western hemisphere.
I was laughing about the comment itself. Of course it will be south of the north pole. EVERYTHING is south of the north pole, and north of the south pole. Can't get any farther north than the north pole or any farther south than the south pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
That would be very interesting.

From north to south:

Svalbard (78 N) would translate over the north pole and become around 82 N. It would crash into Greenland/Ellesmere Island and have a climate similar to Alert, Nunavut.

Norway and Sweden would be from about 76 to 90 N. The northern regions would be very, very cold indeed, especially inland. Winter temps would probably be in the -30 to -20 C range and summer temps maybe -5 to 7 C. Little vegetation and probably only clear of snow in August. The southern regions of these countries would have a cold tundra climate much like Svalbard (winter temps approx. -15/-25 C and summer temps approx. 8/4 C), though a bit more continental in Sweden than in Norway. They'd be clear of snow from mid June to early September. Denmark would have a similar climate.

Finland would be a very cold continental tundra. At about 85 N, winter temps would be around -40 to -30 C, summer temps -7 to 7 C, and clear of snow - intermittently - in August. Next to no vegetation. The Baltic countries would have a similar climate. Inland Russia, near 85 N, would have winter temps from -50 to -35 C and similar summer conditions.

The United Kingdom would have a climate like a cross between Svalbard and Iceland. In Scotland and northern Ireland (~75-80 N), winters may be about -14/-18 C, and summers 7/3 C. In England, Wales, and Ireland (~70-74 N) winters may average -12/-18 C, and summers 10/5 C. There would be a snow free period from early June to late September, and plentiful tundra vegetation.

France and Germany (65-75 N) would have a tundra climate, with winter temps of perhaps -20/-30 C and summer temps of 12/2 C in Germany and northern France. In southern France, near the Mediterranean Ocean, winters would be milder (-2/-7 C) and summers maybe 13/7 C. The tree line would be in southern France, south of the Alps, and possibly far southern Germany. Switzerland would be largely glaciated due to its mountains.

Spain and Portugal would become largely like southern Norway is now, as would Italy. Oceanic and inland Dfb and Dfc climates would predominate. Greece would become a Dfb.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
omg that would be so fun. -18c highs. mmm

Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
I drew up a map of what I think this scenario would bring. Note: Switzerland and the Alps are inaccurate, these are sea level (or non-mountainous) climate regimes.
Attached Thumbnails
What if Europe was shifted 20N?-europe-climate.png  

Old 03-23-2015, 01:13 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Europe is already too northernmost for my taste. I would prefer if this thread was about making Europe 20S instead.

Malta and Sicily might be the only livable parts (or at least pleasant to me). But they will be extremely oceanic, maybe like the northeastern parts of France (Brittany).

Old 03-23-2015, 03:47 PM

824 posts, read 688,329 times
London would like like northern Norway:
Tromsø - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lisbon would look something like Alaska:
Juneau, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I was laughing about the comment itself. Of course it will be south of the north pole. EVERYTHING is south of the north pole, and north of the south pole. Can't get any farther north than the north pole or any farther south than the south pole.
Lol I think what he meant was since Norway stretches to 71 N, it would stretch to 91 N in this scenario. So it would overlap the North Pole and end up at 89 N on the other side of the Pole.

Assuming that Asia would shift along with Europe in this scenario, I would imagine the climate would be 15-20 C colder than present day. Spain would likely have a climate similar to Southern Norway, and I can see Western Europe being very snowy under this scenario. The British Isles would likely have a climate similar to Svalbard, and would maybe be locked in sea ice from October to May. I imagine Eastern Europe to be frigid under this scenario, maybe with winter average temps of about -30 C? Greece would likely be similar to Estonia now. The Scandinavian countries would be extremely cold with probably an ice cap climate. Maybe winters averaging -40 to -50 C?

I wonder how Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk would be like in this scenario, with latitudes of 84 N and 87 N respectively. Maybe average winter temps of -70C or -75C?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 PM

824 posts, read 688,329 times
Has anyone considered that the Med and Caspian will be 20 degrees wider?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I drew up a map of what I think this scenario would bring. Note: Switzerland and the Alps are inaccurate, these are sea level (or non-mountainous) climate regimes.
i like your map but i would have to disagree with you, especially regarding the tree line. as Mr.Sir said (he beat me to it) London/Southern England/Coast of Northern France would be more like the northern coast of Norway. though i suspect Lisbon would have warmer winters than Juneau, Alaska. (I'm thinking Thurso, Scotland for Lisbon, Portugal)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurso#Climate

Akureyri, Iceland (*northern Iceland mind you), at 65°N Latitude is definitely not a tundra (at sea level anyway)
Akureyri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

an even better example would be Hammerfest, Norway at 70°N Latitude.
Hammerfest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i'm surprised 70°N can actually look this nice! honestly you could fool me into thinking this picture was half the Latitude 35°N. with summer highs pushing 60°F/15°C i guess its not that surprising. Some species of trees will do fine in these climates, as long as there is at least 2 months of frost-free mild weather.

so i would say around 51°N would be the cut off point for the tree line. (assuming you are in the crosshairs of the life giving Gulf Stream). this would mean London, England (51°N) and maybe Cork, Ireland (51°N) would still be able to grow some trees. (I'm not sure about Ireland, it may be too far west to effectively tap into the Gulf Stream at 71°N)

maybe you could get trees growing at 72°N or even 73°N. the line gets blurry especially when considering microclimates (inlets, bays). trees will also grow better near rivers, valleys, and cities when less exposed to the wind.

nonetheless, trees or no trees i'm sure there would be mass emigration if this scenario came to fruition! no way i'm putting up with polar night and midnight sun...

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 03-23-2015 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
Has anyone considered that the Med and Caspian will be 20 degrees wider?
I imagine if Europe shifted 20 degrees north, Asia and Africa would too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather