Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

A: Climates that have high percentage of sun in the summer and climates warm enough in the summer to heat smaller bodies of water like pools up to at least 80F. They need to have moderately low precipitation levels in the summer to permit boating, swimming, and other water activities unimpeded. Most interior Mediterranean climates with highs above 90F (32C) from June to August suffice, or humid subtropical climates with rainfall totals of less than 38 inches. Summer precipitation must be less than 6 inches. Winter precipitation must be 2 or more inches per month from November to February because cities with very dry winters give me skin irritations. Average lows in winter must be above freezing and I like average winter highs in the 60's if possible. Spring should be cooler than fall and most of the year it should be possible to wear shorts (April to October). Rainfall totals must be greater than 15 inches so no arid or semiarid climates would rank high.

A: I think the winner is Perth, Australia. I think a Mediterranean climate like Sacramento with its nice hot dry summers and relatively mild winters gets real close. Southern Spain, Southern Italy, Southern non mountainous Greece, and northern Morocco seem to fit the mold. Subtropical climates that work are San Antonio, Austin, and Corpus Christi, Buenos Aires. Tropical climates with wetter winters such as most of Hawaii work well in this category.

B: Climates similar to A but too cool in summer (San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose CA, Santiago, Chile, The French Riviera) or too low precipitation in winter (Rio Cuarto, Argentina) or too high precipitation in summer or higher than 38 inches (Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Asuncion Paraguay, Sao Paulo, Brisbane).

C. Monsoonal climates such as most of India and Southern China, Southeast Asia, or coolish Mediterranean climates such as San Francisco or Portland. Most of Northern Spain, all of France, northern Italy, mountainous Mediterranean climates such as those in Greece or California where summer is mostly dry and winter is mostly wet. Most of Mediterranean Turkey, northern Egypt, Israel, Cyprus or any climate with higher winter precipitation maximum along the Mediterranean. All monsoonal tropical climates such as most of northern Brazil or equatorial Africa would fit this category as well.

D. Hot desert climates such as Phoenix, Cairo, Baghdad, Dubai and continental climates where the summer maximum is hot enough to swim and winters cold such as Kansas City, Washington DC, New York City, Boston, northern China, and Bulgaria, Romania. Favor is toward drier summers like Kansas City over wet summers like Beijing.

F. Cold arid climates such as Colorado (too harsh on the skin), high mountainous areas the world over (can't breathe there), any polar, subpolar or continental climate with harsh winters and short summers or too much snow (makes living difficult when you have to keep digging out snow every day in the winter). Places like Anchorage and Fairbanks are F- and places like Quebec City are F+. Also, places where summer never gets warm, such as maritime coastal climates like London, Edinburgh, and Vancouver. These are more like E but they suck so I couldn't live there so I'll rate as F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 AM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
A
Miami, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore, Darwin, San Juan, Bahamas, Santo Domingo, Entebbe, etc... (tropical climates)

B
Aruba, Honolulu, Dubai, etc.... (hot dry on semi-arid climates)

OR

B
Hong Kong, Bermuda, Taipei, etc... (humid subtropical climates with coolish, but not cold winters)

F
Everything else

Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Sacramento's weather is overrated.

Gets way too hot in the summer and way too cold in the winter. I give it a B-

Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento's weather is overrated.

Gets way too hot in the summer and way too cold in the winter. I give it a B-
I actually prefer it over cities like San Jose. I remember July 4th evenings when I had to wear a coat. Also, unless pools were solar heated with coils or gas heated, the pools were too cold in San Jose even in summer. I like a summer when you can swim all day and barbeque and drink outside at night in shorts and a t-shirt. Being able to swim at midnight is a plus too.

I like Sacramento because summer is guaranteed to be hot and have no rain and the nights are not muggy but still relatively mild. Winter is a tad too cold for me but it allows vegetation that otherwise wouldn't grow there. I need a climate that has enough rain to not be a desert but where the summer is relatively dry and hot.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
A
Miami, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore, Darwin, San Juan, Bahamas, Santo Domingo, Entebbe, etc... (tropical climates)

B
Aruba, Honolulu, Dubai, etc.... (hot dry on semi-arid climates)

OR

B
Hong Kong, Bermuda, Taipei, etc... (humid subtropical climates with coolish, but not cold winters)

F
Everything else
ColdCanadian, eat your heart out.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 PM

15 posts, read 30,826 times
A: Subtropical climates with warm winters and warm/hot summers. (Miami, San Diego, Brisbane, Cape Town, Bermuda etc.)
B: Tropical climates that don't have too much rain or a dry season to make it up. (Honolulu, Rio, Bangkok, etc.)
C: Places with warm/hot summers and cooler winters (though has to be comfortable like around 45-55 degrees with not much snow). (Virginia Beach, Atlanta, San Francisco, Tokyo, etc.)
D: Kinda like C except much cooler summers and rainy all the time. (Oceanic climates like London or Seattle)
E: Places with cold, snowy winters (humid continental climates like NYC, Boston, Toronto). Tropical climates with way too much rain (Singapore, Taipei, etc.). Deserts that have cold winters which make my skin get so dry (Las Vegas).
F: Very cold and miserable winters or cold all year (subarctic/polar climates...)

My city (which is in Eastern Massachusetts) would be an E+, the + only because there's always warm spells in the winter, like last year in March the temps were in the 80s for 5 days straight.

Last edited by itsjustinbieber; 01-02-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
^why is your name 'itsjustinbieber'?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
^why is your name 'itsjustinbieber'?
it's a joke geez

Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustinbieber View Post
A: Subtropical climates with warm winters and warm/hot summers. (Miami, San Diego, Brisbane, Cape Town, Bermuda etc.)
B: Tropical climates that don't have too much rain or a dry season to make it up. (Honolulu, Rio, Bangkok, etc.)
C: Places with warm/hot summers and cooler winters (though has to be comfortable like around 45-55 degrees with not much snow). (Virginia Beach, Atlanta, San Francisco, Tokyo, etc.)
D: Kinda like C except much cooler summers and rainy all the time. (Oceanic climates like London or Seattle)
E: Places with cold, snowy winters (humid continental climates like NYC, Boston, Toronto). Tropical climates with way too much rain (Singapore, Taipei, etc.). Deserts that have cool winters which make my skin get so dry (Las Vegas).
F: Very cold and miserable winters or cold all year (subarctic/polar climates...)
Their winters are more mild than warm

Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Their winters are more mild than warm
Idk because I kinda use both words interchangeably, but I guess people have their own definitions. Warm to me starts at around 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather