Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustinbieber View Post
it's a joke geez
I was just asking geezs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustinbieber View Post
A: Subtropical climates with warm winters and warm/hot summers. (Miami, San Diego, Brisbane, Cape Town, Bermuda etc.)
B: Tropical climates that don't have too much rain or a dry season to make it up. (Honolulu, Rio, Bangkok, etc.)
C: Places with warm/hot summers and cooler winters (though has to be comfortable like around 45-55 degrees with not much snow). (Virginia Beach, Atlanta, San Francisco, Tokyo, etc.)
D: Kinda like C except much cooler summers and rainy all the time. (Oceanic climates like London or Seattle)
E: Places with cold, snowy winters (humid continental climates like NYC, Boston, Toronto). Tropical climates with way too much rain (Singapore, Taipei, etc.). Deserts that have cold winters which make my skin get so dry (Las Vegas).
F: Very cold and miserable winters or cold all year (subarctic/polar climates...)

My city (which is in Eastern Massachusetts) would be an E+, the + only because there's always warm spells in the winter, like last year in March the temps were in the 80s for 5 days straight.
What about year round warm to hot deserts (Phoenix, Cairo, Dubai)?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
A: Very warm summers with somewhat cold winters with snow. (Indianapolis, St. Louis, Beijing).
B: Cold, snowy winters and warm summers. (Minneapolis, Denver, Detroit, Moscow).
C: Mild winters and hot summers. (Memphis, Atlanta, Dallas).
D: Tropical/moderated climates. Nice to visit, boring to stay. (San Diego, Miami, Honolulu, San Francisco, Sydney).
F: Extreme climates, too cold or too hot. (Phoenix, Death Valley, Fairbanks, Vostok).

Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
White House, TN, where I live gets a C. Cookeville, where I go to college, gets a C+.

A: Continental climates with:
> 40" of precipitation per year
Average winter high temperatures between 18-32 F
Average summer high temperatures between 80-90 F

OR any place with 70" - 150" precipitation/year that's not a year round glacier or tundra and has maximum temperatures under 90 F in the hottest month.

B: Climates must have:
> 25" of precipitation per year
Average winter high temperatures of 5-40 F
Average summer high temperatures of 75-93 F

C:
Moderate climates with > 40" of precipitation per year (e.g. Kerguelen, Bergen)
or continental/subtropical that must not be arid or semi arid
Summer high temperatures must be under 97 F
Subarctic taiga climates

D:
Moderate climates with 20-40" of precipitation per year (e.g. London)
Subtropical with very hot, muggy summers (e.g. some parts of Texas)
Arctic tundra climates

F:
Semi arid / arid climates

Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM

504 posts, read 852,584 times
A: Subtropical Highland climates near the equator. Average highs from, say, 65-80. Lows average in the 50's to 60's Less than 40" or so rain annually. Nairobi, Kenya and Cuenca, Ecuador are two examples. Mediterranean climates such as San Francisco, Napa, Santa Barbara, San Diego etc would also get A's. Mild year round, no snow, not a ton of rain is what I look for.

B: Similar to A, except with a negative - too much rain, or too warm daytime highs in the summer, or cooler than I'd prefer average highs. I'd probably put... Sacramento in here. Summer highs are too hot, but it doesn't get a lot of rain, doesn't snow, not humid, and still cools off nicely at night even in the middle of summer. I'd throw somewhere like Eureka, CA in here too. Cooler than ideal, but doesn't get hot and doesn't snow.

C: I'd probably put somewhere like... Albuquerque in here. Too warm in the summer, too cold in the winter and gets snow, but spring/fall are nice and it's not humid. Eugene, OR would probably rate a C from me too. Too much rain, winters too cool, and I don't like the chance of snow but the rest is ok. Most of the Caribbean would wind up here too. Just too warm in general (plus hurricanes), though not as bad as the Bangkok-types of tropical, and not as bad as long 100+ degree summers that don't cool off at night (Lookin' at you Phoenix). La Paz, Bolivia would go here too I think. While it's in the subtropical highland category, it's just too chilly at night and not warm enough during the day. I'd still take it over the Phoenixes/Dubais and Buffalo NY's of the world though.

D: This is what I'd rate my current location - Phoenix, AZ. November through April is generally pleasant. May and October are sometimes decent but mostly too warm. June, July, August and September are completely miserable. It's really the overnight 'lows' that are the killer here. November - April keeps it from being an F. I would put anywhere that gets cold, snowy winters here too. Minneapolis, Chicago, etc. Most of the humid continental-4 distinct season types fall in here too.

F: Anywhere with hot, humid weather year round or extremely cold/snowy. Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Yakutsk, Vostok. Miserable hellholes, every one of them!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
A climates

Somehow the most difficult for me to find, im very picky with climate. I only found one place i could rate with an A and thats Nelson, New Zeland: Nelson, New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its cool summers are ideal for my hate towards heat, and winters are cool/cold as i like, and im guessing there are a lot of 9/13c sunny afternoons (wich are my favourite) through the year. The cool/cold average lows of the year make it virtually impossible to experience a hot afternoon/night (like the one im experiencing now at 36c), wich is a plus.
I guess the definition of this climate would be "sunny oceanic", and if someone knows another climate like this, please let me know. So far is the best one i ve found.
I havent chose other oceanic climates with similar temps cause i dont like the sunshine distribution. Nelson more subtropical/mediterranean distribution (meaning sun more evenly distributed through the year) is more than what i like. I absolutely hate gloomy autumn/winters and overly sunny summers.
Anyways, Nelson rocks

B climates:

Some subtropical highland climates (like Johannesburg, a very moderated and sunny climate), some cool mediterranean like San Francisco (very cool summers, win win), and since i learned the real sunshine hours of Bariloche, Argentina, i realize that is a FANTASTIC climate: San Carlos de Bariloche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, its not an A for the slight tendency to overly sunny winters/kinda glommy winters, but still the sunshine hours are well over 100 in the darkest month so that is good enough. The temps are fantastic!

C climates

In the high end, there are mediterranean climates like Nice, France Nice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and a subtropical by the sea climate like Montevideo, Uruguay: Montevideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Love the sun distribution in both and winters seem amazing in both places! While summers can be on the hot side, i dont think it would feel that bad in those coastal places with all the breeze. Also, in the high end, an oceanic climate like Mar del Plata, with cool summers, and cool to cold winter, but unfonrtunately not very sunny (if not, it would be a B).
In the medium end, the climates with cold winters and warm to hot summers, like New York and Boston. Dont like the summer temperatures, but the sunny snowy winters make up for them.
Other middle end of the C, would be Mendoza, Argentina. Nice, comfortable, sunny winters and autumns, and dry type of climate. If it werent for the hot summers it would be a clear B. Also, the low in spring are killers. : Mendoza, Argentina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the low end, a climate like Buenos Aires, in where warmness last too long in the year, and the summers are awful. But, the sun distribution is great and winter and autumn have wonderful weather, and that saves it from a D.
Other subtropical places like Sao Paolo dont make it into the C cathegory even when their summers are cooler, only cause it doesnt have any cool whatsoever in the entire year and i like a cool season.
So for being able to make it to the C spot, a place has to have winters cool enough, and summers with highs and lows not above (22/33).

D climates:
Some subtropical climates:
Places like Sao Paulo, not super hot, but spring/late spring like temperatures all through the year with no cool off whatsoever.
Places like Bogota, Colombia, with no hot or warm month, and temps ranging from 6 to 20 all year. A perpetual cool climate, a perpetual late autumn. Comfortable, but boring.

Oceanic climates:
London, Paris, Vancouver in the high end, cooler darkest oceanic climates in the low end. I dont like gloomy. Usuhaia, Argentina, will fit this too, being worse than all the mentioned cities.

Tropical places with moderate temperature through the year but no cool off at all.
Artic places with cold temperatures all year, like places in Alaska or Russia.
Some places in southern USA with insanely hot and long summers but cool/cold winters.

F climates:
very hot places like Dallol, ethiopia.
Tropical places in general.
Everything hot, or places VERY cold.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
My definitions:

A climates - basically anything that is classified as an "A" climate according to Köppen.
Eg. Singapore, Miami, Jakarta, Lagos, Fortaleza etc.

For a climate to get an A+, it has to be both tropical, dry year round and have plenty of sunshine. Eg: Aruba, Mogadishu

B climates - the majority of subtropical climates (i.e. places with winters too cool to qualify as tropical) or places with very mild winters that get almost zero snow, frost, ice etc. eg. San Francisco, Hong Kong, Quito, Addis Ababa etc.

C climates - warm temperate climates but get some snow and frost in the winter time
eg: Dallas, Canberra, Christchurch etc.

D climates - cool oceanic climates or climates that have the coldest month average a little above freezing. eg: Washington, DC, Vancouver, London etc.

F climates - any climates that feature any kind of a snowpack in winter or have at least one month that averages below freezing.

I rate my climate Vancouver a "D". It's an oceanic climate with dry summers and cool/cold winters. It's nowhere near warm enough year round to meet my tastes

Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
My "A" climates are either mild Mediterranean ones or sunny coastal desert ones such as:

San Diego, USA; Agadir, Morocco; Antofagasta, Chile; Cape Town, South Africa

My "B" Climates are a variation of my "A" ones...generally mild Mediterranean ones...but with typically chillier winters or too hot summers or both:

Barcelona, San Francisco (more like a B- due to the lack of days it ever hits 70F/21C), Nice, Sacramento, Rome, Athens.

I live in an A- climate of San Jose, California. Warm, dry, but usually not hot summers, mild but chilly (and sometimes wet) winters. It my city was 5 degrees warmer in winter and 2 degrees cooler in summer it would be a solid "A". San Jose also gets 72% of the possible amount of sun (over 3000 hours per year). It's a bit too cloudy for me in winter, but it's tolerable.

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

The rest of them are not worth talking about. Either too hot, cold, wet or windy. I'm a weather wimp!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
For me:

A: Somewhere tropical, warm all year-round, like Honolulu, San Juan, Punta Cana, Cabo San Lucas, Cancun. I'll also be fine with the semitropical climate of South Florida, for although I hate cold weather, I'm fine with the occasional cool day that South FL gets in wintertime, and the cool evenings there. Pretty much anywhere I can swim in the ocean year-round and see tropical palm trees. I also love thunderstorms, so yeah.

B: Somewhere with "nice", comfortable weather. I guess my current location, San Diego, fits that. Also, places like Daytona Beach or maybe even Houston. They can get a bit chilly in the wintertime for me, but it isn't too bad. They still have beaches, palm trees, nice weather the rest of the year. With San Diego, for me it's too foggy during the springtime, and also never gets enough rain. Houston and Daytona Beach have the risk of getting a few days of extreme cold.

C: Somewhere like Palm Springs, Las Vegas or Phoenix. Summers are WAY too hot, not enough rainfall, nights in the wintertime are FREEZING! No ocean nearby, so no coastal breeze. Nice to vacation in for the beauty, but horrible to live there.

D: Somewhere like New York, where it's fine for most of the year, but I hate snowy cold weather. Also, San Francisco has miserable weather! I like that the winters aren't as cold as New York, but the ocean is very cold and warm, sunny days are rare.

F: Somewhere like Alaska where it's just too cold.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Miami get's D.. Too hot and not enough cold relief.

My A climate would be very DEFINED seasons. Like Minneapolis or Chicago's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather