Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
First Tornado warning of season I believe for NY/MA/CT. Nasty looking cell! Thank God for those spotters reporting it.

TORNADO WARNING FOR... NORTHEASTERN LITCHFIELD COUNTY IN NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...
SOUTHERN BERKSHIRE COUNTY IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS...
EXTREME NORTHEASTERN DUTCHESS COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...
SOUTH CENTRAL COLUMBIA COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 530 PM EDT

* AT 452 PM EDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR
COPAKE...OR 12 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HUDSON...MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...GREAT BARRINGTON BY 515 PM EDT... SHEFFIELD...ASHLEY FALLS...EDDY FIELD AND CANAAN BY 520 PM EDT...SANDISFIELD AND OTIS BY 530 PM EDT...

How do u get those cool 3d radar pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Thanks for the map. Interesting temperature contrast in New England / Northern NY State. Northern New England is covered with low lying clouds, keeping temperatures cool (as your map showed). Easterly air flow. The immediate coast of Long Island / southern New England is relatively cool, humid and fog bound.
I think you mean the immediate coast of New England is cool, humid, and fog bound today (from RI northward). I don't know about the coast of Long island or NJ at the moment, but here along the CT coast, it is anything but cool and fog bound: Our temp hit 87 F (I was in Milford, CT today) and Central Park must have hit upper 80's (maybe 90 F), and there was not a cloud in the sky after 11:00 AM.

I just checked todays obs....Central Park had was at 86 F at the 2:00 PM obs....Bridgeport, CT 83 F....and New Haven at 80 F. Meanwhile Boston was at 62 F and Portland, Me 59 F.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,665 times
How's the storm so far Nei? Looks great.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:58 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
National Weather Service confirms tornado touches down in Columbia County, New York

Current temps and radar with the warnings and hail reports.

Over 60mph being reported in these cells.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM

2" Hail that fell in Columbia County NY. Imagine these things falling from the sky. Ouch.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...if_t=notify_me

Old 05-21-2013, 04:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I think you mean the immediate coast of New England is cool, humid, and fog bound today (from RI northward). I don't know about the coast of Long island or NJ at the moment, but here along the CT coast, it is anything but cool and fog bound: Our temp hit 87 F (I was in Milford, CT today) and Central Park must have hit upper 80's (maybe 90 F), and there was not a cloud in the sky after 11:00 AM.

I just checked todays obs....Central Park had was at 86 F at the 2:00 PM obs....Bridgeport, CT 83 F....and New Haven at 80 F. Meanwhile Boston was at 62 F and Portland, Me 59 F.
I meant the immediate coast, as anywhere along the Atlantic. Montauk had a high of 71°F with fog. We hit 90°F here.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM

5-10" of snow to fall above 6000' in Montana and up to 15" at the ridge tops

Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM

For those interested I posted the update on the Moore, OK Tornado. Its been rated an EF5. The strongest possible Tornado on the scale.

Same town had an EF5 in 1999 as well. EF 3 in 2003.

I can't imagine what 200mph winds is like.

//www.city-data.com/forum/torna...l#post29670737

RATING: EF5
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 200-210 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 17 MILES
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 1.3 MILES

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Those out there using these Tornadoes as Global Warming or Climate Change proof need to stop ASAP. Its disgusting to hear without looking at facts. Its happened before!!

A list of all EF5 Tornadoes since 1950. Area around Moore and Oklahoma City had 50-60 of them!
F5 and EF5 Tornadoes of the United States - 1950-present (SPC)

Just look at the rest of the states. Many of them have happened. Social media making it easy to see and hear about now and much easier to spread the news.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I think the real reason that recent death tolls have been high (including 2011) has nothing to do with any real change in the tornadoes themselves…but with the expanding population and changing demographics and human geography in the USA. There are more towns/people/buildings/cars…etc these days in harms way than there EVER was before.
That would affect deaths in the 2010's vs. the 1920's - given the same track, intensity, and public behavior death tolls would be higher now than 100 years ago. Still, that doesn't really explain the higher death tolls now versus the 1970's and certainly not versus the 1990's - there are more people and areas developed but there's not a huge difference. Death tolls are higher now than 10 years ago despite pretty similar demographics. There's also much more warning time and preparedness now than there was 100 years ago, which counteracts, to some degree, the effect of increasing population over that same time. So I think population is a factor, but there's something else going on here besides population trends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes but just remember, in the 60s we didnt have internet, twitter, facebook, storm chasers, even TVs were starting to become the normal household item. We only had Polaroid cameras I believe. No digital cameras then. Point is, its MUCH more easier to "see" the destruction now and within minutes mind you. Add all that and the population/structure factor and it will seem more destructive recently.
Sure, but that affects the time it takes to know about the destruction, not the destruction itself. Also, total tornado counts are higher due to better reporting but if a violent tornado caused death and destruction that would have been recorded 100 years ago. So the "better reporting" factor exerts a much weaker effect on violent tornadoes than it does on weak tornadoes.

Meanwhile, check out the big temperature drop today in the Pacific Northwest - 30F colder than it was 24 hours ago:

Temperature departures are also well below normal. Also note the warmth over the Great Lakes and the pool of cold air over the Northern Plains. They're experiencing a chilly rain today:

Below is a temperature map for the Northwest quadrant as of this evening. 49F in Portland is kind of chilly for this time of year; other than that rather typical temperatures prevail across the region tonight:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather