Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times

Advertisements

This might be shocking to hear but... Im ready for spring. But please nothing above 60F. My batteries have been recharged so I'm good to go to tolerate heat better this year.

Last yr I was extra miserable because there was no winter.

However... This March is opposite last year.

Troughs are more common than ridges which means cool/cooler/seasonable weather in the East. Not warm.

Plus another winter storm coming in 8 days to the NorthEast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 PM

No complaints from me. Loving the pattern this year for March. Normal Highs are now in the Upper 40s.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
@cambium

what's the setup causing this pattern? Any clue when it'll end?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
Chilly morning again today. Daffodils look rather shabby, but then again it's their fault if they come out too early.

Quite cold up in the Alps, with a -46.2C/-51.2F windchill at the Jungfraujoch (-28.6°C, 46 km/h).

Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
@cambium

what's the setup causing this pattern? Any clue when it'll end?
Great question.. Sometimes I post and run so if I dont reply to a question PM me. Goes for anyone.

I made this and hopefully easy to read. It's the 500mb heights pattern.. There's one thing I am eyeing... Notice that High with a really amplified ridge to our east... That is blocking any cold air from moving east and it has nowhere to go but dump downwards. Like a brick wall. Naturally weather flows west to east but because of this blocking (negative NAO) its spilling into eastern U.S

I seen this coming 3 weeks ago... I dont see an end yet. Some models saying it might continue for beginning of April.

I'm still impressed with this setup. Lots of snow chances with it for the U.S in general especially the Mid West and East.

And look where the NAO is forecasted to go.. tanks again.
NAO - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product.../nao.sprd2.gif

Steering Flow: Layer Mean Wind - West Atlantic - Steering Layer 300-850mb - Latest Available=

The colors on the map are the temps at 5000 foot level above our heads.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 AM

Where do I start?

How about Euro Minimum temps for Thursday morning March 21st.

Or .... Snow events just in next 7 days.. Here's what the Euro shows for snow totals.. This weekend is VERY light stuff.. Monday-Wednesday is a significant storm for New England. End of week could be significant for Mid Atlantic.

Love this pattern

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM

Euro is the only model we need these past 5 months. What shame for the other models. Anyway, NWS Boston says this..

National Weather Service Text Product Display

MORE MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE COMING INTO CONSENSUS WITH THE CONSISTENT ECMWF. ONE WORD OF CAUTION...EVEN BETWEEN THE 15.12Z ECMWF AND THE\ 16.0Z ECMWF...THE SOLUTIONS HAVE VARIED WITH THE LOW-LEVEL THERMAL PROFILE...WITH THE LATTER BEING COLDER THAN THE PRIOR. WEIGHED HEAVILY ON THE ECMWF FIELDS...INCLUDING MODEL 2M TEMPERATURES. INCORPORATED THE 16.0Z NAM...BUT STILL THREW OUT THE 16.0Z GFS.
CANADIAN/UKMET/GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN AND MEMBERS ARE ALL IN-LINE OR VERY CLOSE TO THE ECMWF SOLUTION. A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY NIGHT...BUT THE SPECIFICS REMAIN FUZZY.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 AM

Looks like Spring snow isnt just in the U.S..

Southern Italy too. And I'm sure you all heard about the deep freeze in Europe past few weeks.

Hungary: http://iceagenow.info/2013/03/hungar...und-motorists/

Moscow: http://iceagenow.info/2013/03/moscow...0-years-video/

Normandy: http://iceagenow.info/2013/03/norman...oric%e2%80%9d/

France: http://iceagenow.info/2013/03/france...r-rises-68000/

Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 AM

477 posts, read 803,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Euro is the only model we need these past 5 months. What shame for the other models. Anyway, NWS Boston says this..

National Weather Service Text Product Display

MORE MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE COMING INTO CONSENSUS WITH THE CONSISTENT ECMWF. ONE WORD OF CAUTION...EVEN BETWEEN THE 15.12Z ECMWF AND THE\ 16.0Z ECMWF...THE SOLUTIONS HAVE VARIED WITH THE LOW-LEVEL THERMAL PROFILE...WITH THE LATTER BEING COLDER THAN THE PRIOR. WEIGHED HEAVILY ON THE ECMWF FIELDS...INCLUDING MODEL 2M TEMPERATURES. INCORPORATED THE 16.0Z NAM...BUT STILL THREW OUT THE 16.0Z GFS.
CANADIAN/UKMET/GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN AND MEMBERS ARE ALL IN-LINE OR VERY CLOSE TO THE ECMWF SOLUTION. A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY NIGHT...BUT THE SPECIFICS REMAIN FUZZY.
Funny that you mention Euro is only model we need for past 5 months.

Here in Canada, just a couple of days ago, CBC TV news reported that Euro weather model has been much more accurate than US models in forecasting north american weather, due to much more powerful computers,
US is now trying to catch up, the NOAA is currently upgrading their computer system, due to be completed by september 2013.

Last edited by eastyork; 03-16-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
Funny that you mention Euro is only model we need for past 5 months.

Here in Canada, just a couple of days ago, CBC TV news reported that Euro weather model has been much more accurate than US models in forecasting north american weather, due to much more powerful computers,
US is now trying to catch up, the NOAA is currently upgrading their computer system, due to be completed by september 2013.
Its true... American models are pure garbage recently. Whats sad is some of weather Satellites are going to expire 2015( i think) unless they get upgraded but either Obama or some other political agenda doesnt want to fund the upgrade. So its ba bye to protecting us from historic storms which we have been getting hit with for the past 3 yrs alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather