Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times

Advertisements

25 celsius, sunny
its been on this trend of warm/hotness sunnyland for a loong time. Too long if you ask me.
I was uncomfortable out today morning, even more than the other day when temp was almost 30c. It must be humid.
Nights also warm, and mornings. Yesterday i slept with the fan and when i woke up early today temp was already 18c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Sunday was sunny but bitterly cold with icy westerlies blowing.
Can any current / former Sydney residents confirm or deny these "icy westerlies"? Looking at daily weather observations it doesn't look that bad. Are strong, cold westerlies a common feature of Sydney's climate?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Can any current / former Sydney residents confirm or deny these "icy westerlies"? Looking at daily weather observations it doesn't look that bad. Are strong, cold westerlies a common feature of Sydney's climate?
I think it's a case of what I'd call a "unique" perspective. I've experienced a few of those westerlies and "icy" is not the term I would use. Nobody I know who has lived in Sydney (several people) had even heard of the notion!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Quote:
They usually are in winter and spring with the odd outbreak in autumn. The maximum during Friday was just 18C and, adding in the wind chill factor, made it feel like 5C colder. The minimum on Sunday morning dropped to 10C and naturally under the SW flow made it feel like 5C. It was also snowing in the mountains hence the icy feel. The maximum gust on Friday was 76km/hr. I absolutely loathe that awful wind. S/SE flows are far more superior!

On the positive side, rainfall is well above average with more than 150% of the average falling :-)

MTD rain for some eastern suburb sites:

City (Ob. Hill): 199.8mm
Dover Heights: (to 9am 10th) 133.6mm
Rose Bay: 203.8mm
Randwick: 192.7
Sydney Airport: 155.4

I also note that Christchurch, ending yesterday, had seven consecutive days of no sun and the MTD total stands at just 69.7 hours!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
also note that Christchurch, ending yesterday, had seven consecutive days of no sun and the MTD total stands at just 69.7 hours!
With fairly fine conditions for the remainder of the month the monthly total will be nowhere near any local record lows. The worst ever April effort from a NZ centre was Invercargill's 53.5 in 1949, just 17% of the possible - centrally verified, of course, unlike the readings these days.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Some scattered showers around tonight, 6mm so far. Coolish max of 22C, though managed a short period of bright sunshine earlier today as well. After the very hot start to the month the weather has settled now into a typical autumn pattern.

I see from the DWO page that it's been fairly cloudy but with little falls of rain. 148.5hrs of sun and 20.6mm of rain. The daily total has not reached 10 hours since the 9th!. What's the lowest April sun total on record? Also Albany has recorded 116.5 hours ending Monday.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Quote:
I see from the DWO page that it's been fairly cloudy but with little falls of rain. 148.5hrs of sun and 20.6mm of rain. The daily total has not reached 10 hours since the 9th!. What's the lowest April sun total on record? Also Albany has recorded 116.5 hours ending Monday.
Yep it's been quite cloudy and humid since the first 10 days of the month by Perth standards but without much rain to show for it. Average daily sunshine is down about 1.3 hours for the month to date. Cloudiest April here was in 1926 with 132 hours, and 150mm of rain. Despite the lower than average rain vegetation is starting to green up a little anyway which is nice, I'm guessing it's probably looking very green and lush in Sydney atm.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 04-23-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,503 times
Quote:
Herion withdrawal tends to warp people's perception of reality. If this joker thinks that Sydney's "icy" sunny westerlies are bad, then I wonder what he would think of Melbourne's July southwesterlies (which are invariably laden with stratocrapulus filth btw)....

Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Yep it's been quite cloudy and humid since the first 10 days of the month by Perth standards but without much rain to show for it. Average daily sunshine is down about 1.3 hours for the month to date. Cloudiest April here was in 1926 with 132 hours, and 150mm of rain. Despite the lower than average rain vegetation is starting to green up a little anyway which is nice, I'm guessing it's probably looking very green and lush in Sydney atm.
Nice to hear about the greening up Yes they are . The park opposite my house is still spilling bits of water here and there. At work, the footpaths are covered with dark green moss and lots of little green fern bushes growing out of the brick walls which adds colour to the drab red walls. The building is 110 years old. What's the most 'recent' cloudy April btw?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Herion withdrawal tends to warp people's perception of reality. If this joker thinks that Sydney's "icy" sunny westerlies are bad, then I wonder what he would think of Melbourne's July southwesterlies (which are invariably laden with stratocrapulus filth btw)....
Let alone some of NZ's trademark colder winds, the worst being the nasty Invercargill SW/WSW (forever burned into my memory), which beats both the sneaky easterlies of the eastern SI or even a good W'gton southerly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather