Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Wow!, I wish electricity bills here were the same price as a pizza - a $4.90 power bill would be good, even more so if I could get two power bills for $8.00. Pizza Hut should get into the electricity business.

Day 5 of no sun. Had nearly 3 inches since yesterday afternoon, with heavier rain forecast after lunch and some thunder.
Are NZ thunderstorms like British ones? One or two rumbles of thunder and they fizzle out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,705,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Are NZ thunderstorms like British ones? One or two rumbles of thunder and they fizzle out?
Quite varied. They can be the odd flash and rumble variety, or ones that last several hours with a large number of strikes. i've had my dial up modem fried twice in the last 6 months from storms. One in January would have lasted 6 hours. Two winters ago, there was a series of them that was so close together, it seemed like there was thunder for 1-2 days, it came with lot's of snow as well.

The best ones tend to come, when there are clear skies shortly before. So, I'm guess this will likely be the short variety, as it's steady rain and low visibility.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Quite varied. They can be the odd flash and rumble variety, or ones that last several hours with a large number of strikes. i've had my dial up modem fried twice in the last 6 months from storms. One in January would have lasted 6 hours. Two winters ago, there was a series of them that was so close together, it seemed like there was thunder for 1-2 days, it came with lot's of snow as well.

The best ones tend to come, when there are clear skies shortly before. So, I'm guess this will likely be the short variety, as it's steady rain and low visibility.
Interesting. For some reason I always thought New Zealand was like the southern hemisphere equivalent of Britain until I looked at its latitudes and it runs from central France to the Strait of Gibraltar. I guess because the guy from Christchurch (or Cloudchurch as he likes to call it) always goes on about the rain and cloudiness, that I assumed NZ was basically Britain in the southern hemisphere

Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,606,566 times
Quote:
Interesting. For some reason I always thought New Zealand was like the southern hemisphere equivalent of Britain until I looked at its latitudes and it runs from central France to the Strait of Gibraltar. I guess because the guy from Christchurch (or Cloudchurch as he likes to call it) always goes on about the rain and cloudiness, that I assumed NZ was basically Britain in the southern hemisphere
Christchurch averages 2140 hours of sun per annum (at least) - 220 more than anywhere in the UK and a hell of a long way above the UK average. Average rainfall is fairly modest at 620mm (30-year mean), 86 days per year with 1mm or more of rainfall.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Christchurch averages 2140 hours of sun per annum (at least) - 220 more than anywhere in the UK and a hell of a long way above the UK average. Average rainfall is fairly modest at 620mm (30-year mean), 86 days per year with 1mm or more of rainfall.
How's it compared to Melbourne? The precip and sun totals are not far off from where I live. Yet, people here still complain that ~2300 sun hours is too little lol. The rainfall doesn't seem bad at all either, but lots of drizzle though?

Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,606,566 times
Quote:
How's it compared to Melbourne? The precip and sun totals are not far off from where I live. Yet, people here still complain that ~2300 sun hours is too little lol. The rainfall doesn't seem bad at all either, but lots of drizzle though?
Is your 2300 hours adjusted downwards from the US measurement?

The Melbourne airport site gets over 2300 hours, though there may be less further east - not sure about the latter part.

I wouldn't describe Ch'ch as particularly "drizzly" though there are certainly some episodes that go on a bit.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Is your 2300 hours adjusted downwards from the US measurement?

The Melbourne airport site gets over 2300 hours, though there may be less further east - not sure about the latter part.

I wouldn't describe Ch'ch as particularly "drizzly" though there are certainly some episodes that go on a bit.
It is. The official measurement is 2600 hours, but I revised it down to 2300. My sun hours, I think, should be within a few hundred hours of places like Melbourne and Wellington, since I live 40°N and both places are very close to it.

See it's a good thing there's other Kiwis on here. You go by one person's account of something, and you think it's always like that when it's not. I don't know how Melbourne compares though. But, seeing the weather states Galaxyman posted up from BOM about the range of temps, Melbourne is pretty **** for an Australian city.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,237,063 times
Wow, Christchurch may be within range of my area's sunshine hours (mine may be slightly more, but can't say for sure). Of course everyone's preferences are subjective, but then Christchurch is probably not nearly as cloudy as Chester makes it out to be.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Wow, Christchurch may be within range of my area's sunshine hours (mine may be slightly more, but can't say for sure). Of course everyone's preferences are subjective, but then Christchurch is probably not nearly as cloudy as Chester makes it out to be.
I agree. We live in one of more the more cloudy areas of the country, yet we still get 2000+ hours and you hear endless whining from PA and NJ residents. Hell Harrisburg has more clear days in a year than Puerto Rico does in a decade and people here say Harrisburg is cloudy

Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,663,635 times
If I lived there, going from my personal perspective, assuming the Wiki table is right then I'd classify Christchurch as "really sunny", where it hardly ever rains (though the 85 days is for 1mm+, I'd want to know 0.25mm+ before making a true judgement), and the winters scrape into 'non-winter' territory with their 100+ sun hours in every month, average high above 10C and earliest sunset a mere 16:59. It's only the sudden cold changes when it's meant to be warm that would put me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather