Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times

Advertisements

We talked about on a previous thread about a Tropical Canada here //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ould-more.html but what about the lower 48 states??

Lets speculate how the United States's climate would change if it borded a large ocean (lets call it the Canadian ocean) to its north.

For example Michigan would be a Peninsula jutting out into the new Ocean.

I'm sure some ''warm lovers'' would love this scenerio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
I think this was discussed in another thread somewhere, can't remember where. I'd expect a lot of cool and gloomy weather for much of the year in the Northeast, but much less severe cold. Upper 850 mb temperatures would be much warmer, weakening the chance for true cold. It would be a chilly ocean and a source of cloudy weather. Usually, weather from the northwest brings us clear (usually, sometimes clouds, upstate NY gets clouds from this source due to the great lakes), dry and cold (in summer, just a bit cooler) weather. I suspect with Canada turned into an ocean this would bring drizzly weather. The coastal Northeast may be less cloud and drizzle prone, and the Appalachians may block it much of the time, similar to how the Appalachians block winter cloudiness from the Great Lakes now.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Also, due to new ocean currents, I don't think the Arctic Ocean would have a year around thick sea ice coverage, currents would carry sea ice to lower latitudes, preventing any old sea ice from building up and thickening.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM

I'm thinking that the North coast may have 'bipolar' summers similar to Melbourne.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm thinking that the North coast may have 'bipolar' summers similar to Melbourne.
I think so, definitely more prone to cool temperatures than now. The hot part won't be as hot as Melbourne can get, probably just about the same as typical summer weather now.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
If it is just Canada, how would the massive new island of Alaska be changed?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei;28719951[B
]I think this was discussed in another thread somewhere, can't remember where.[/b] I'd expect a lot of cool and gloomy weather for much of the year in the Northeast, but much less severe cold. Upper 850 mb temperatures would be much warmer, weakening the chance for true cold. It would be a chilly ocean and a source of cloudy weather. Usually, weather from the northwest brings us clear (usually, sometimes clouds, upstate NY gets clouds from this source due to the great lakes), dry and cold (in summer, just a bit cooler) weather. I suspect with Canada turned into an ocean this would bring drizzly weather. The coastal Northeast may be less cloud and drizzle prone, and the Appalachians may block it much of the time, similar to how the Appalachians block winter cloudiness from the Great Lakes now.
I think it was me that asked that question, either I started a topic or I made a train of thought in a similar one.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,559,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
If it is just Canada, how would the massive new island of Alaska be changed?
Alaska would be much milder in winter and summers would probably be slightly cooler and probably wetter in places...but it's a big state so it's not practical to give big generalizations like that.

Anyway, I think it would be similar to a cooler Iceland overall. Probably the biggest change would be less sunshine and more clouds during the winter.

Fairbanks would be pretty different I think. It would still be a Dfc climate but winters wouldn't be nearly as extreme temperature-wise (that goes for extreme lows and extreme highs). I'm thinking upper teens to low 20s for the coldest average highs in winter and upper 50s to low 60s for the warmest average highs in summer. Winter lows would probably be around 5F to 10F and summer lows around 45F to 50F.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,503 times
The north coast would have an extreme crap version of Melbourne's climate, probably be like Dunedin or Invercargill while the lower latitude parts like around Ohio etc would likely be similar to Melbourne. The New York-Boston area would have weather similar to Tasmania.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
The north coast would have an extreme crap version of Melbourne's climate, probably be like Dunedin or Invercargill while the lower latitude parts like around Ohio etc would likely be similar to Melbourne. The New York-Boston area would have weather similar to Tasmania.
I agree about the Melbourne bit but the areas would be more continental than Tasmania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather