Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think you would find it cool or with a no summer feeling though. I've worked with plenty of your fellow Americans and they don't talk about how cold it is, or dress as though it was cold. Someone at work from Nevada had severe sunburn. He was most uncomplimentary about our summer, when I saw him next.

There can be short, unexpected cold changes at times, and cold nights, but they quickly fade from memory.
Hmmm....I don't know.

The person you knew from Nevada must have been from Elko (far northern Nevada) or something - lol. About 70% of the people who live in Nevada live in the Las Vegas metero area...where average summer highs are 98 to 104 F (36 - 40 C) ....I can't imagine they would think a summer anywhere in NZ is anything but cool.

However, sunburn is possible in many areas, including oceanic climates. At the time of high sun (summer) one could be burned in NZ, NW Europe, the PNW...etc as well. I think folks in lower latitude and hotter climates are just on guard for it more. A traveler from Alice Springs going to Auckland would might be more aware of the suns power than the reverse situation.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Hmmm....I don't know.

The person you knew from Nevada must have been from Elko (far northern Nevada) or something - lol. About 70% of the people who live in Nevada live in the Las Vegas metero area...where average summer highs are 98 to 104 F (36 - 40 C) ....I can't imagine they would think a summer anywhere in NZ is anything but cool.

However, sunburn is possible in many areas, including oceanic climates. At the time of high sun (summer) one could be burned in NZ, NW Europe, the PNW...etc as well. I think folks in lower latitude and hotter climates are just on guard for it more. A traveler from Alice Springs going to Auckland would might be more aware of the suns power than the reverse situation.
I don't ever remember getting sunburnt in Australia because I was used to harsh sun. I've had friends from warm parts of Australia who got sunburnt here, so I have to disagree with that idea.

The idea that people feel cool as they are used to hotter temps is a false one in my opinion. There would be a few days of re - adjustment, for sure. But too be cool, people have to display all the signs of being cool. Stopping work, jumping in irrigation ponds 2 or 3 times a day, going home early as it's too hot, Going to the beach, aren't signs of cool weather.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
I go to a beach sometimes just to enjoy being on the beach and by the sea. Even if it's not warm. So you're wrong. Hell I've walked along Margate Beach in 16°C + 30mph winds, never again felt crap. But when I lived in southern England I would go to the beach on sunny days in summer, which were almost always warm. But then there was a big hailstorm which developed in the sea breeze one time after a hot sunny morning, rained like ***** it did.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I go to a beach sometimes just to enjoy being on the beach and by the sea. Even if it's not warm. So you're wrong. Hell I've walked along Margate Beach in 16°C + 30mph winds, never again felt crap.
I've been surfing with frost on the beach, but that's not my point. People here go to the beach to swim -to cool off. The sea breeze is a big plus here for much of the summer, that's why people go to the beach.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM

They do that here too in summer. Even though the sea is a cold 16°C in the English Channel. Afterall the max temps of the south coast summer here are the same as where you live. Your sea may be warmer though. IDK.

When the temperature is a typical 20-25°C along the south coast in summer in England the sea is always full of people.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think you would find it cool or with a no summer feeling though. I've worked with plenty of your fellow Americans and they don't talk about how cold it is, or dress as though it was cold. Someone at work from Nevada had severe sunburn. He was most uncomplimentary about our summer, when I saw him next.

There can be short, unexpected cold changes at times, and cold nights, but they quickly fade from memory.
And people think us Americans get all defensive about our climate. Seems like you NZ'ers are a sensitive lot when it comes to other folks opinions on your climate.

If I landed in your area in summer, coming from winter here, I would think it nice and warm. However, going to NZ in winter from our summer I would find it freezing.

I mentioned in a previous post that I work with a woman that is from Mission Viejo. It just happens that when I went to Afghanistan in the middle of January a couple of years ago, she went to Australia with her family. In fact a bunch of us crossed paths as we were en route to Dulles, and she was flying to LAX.

When I returned to work, I asked about her trip. Even considering she left Philly in the middle of winter, she said the summer in Melbourne was blah weather, and Sydney was never really hot (in her opinion) compared to here. I also am good friends with a former Sydney resident that lives here now. We have discussed the weather there many times, and he describes our summer as hotter and more humid than Sydney. I doubt he would find anywhere in NZ as warm as Sydney. Australia and NZ have similar UV numbers. Anecdotal evidence only goes so far.

As far as your friend with the issues with your summer, sunburn and temperature are two different things. The sun is closer to the earth during your summer, combined with the thinner ozone in the S. Hemisphere causes the higher UV. I'd rather have the stronger sun in the winter truthfully. Some Australians I've met I'm usually shocked how old they look with wrinkles and brown spots all over their skin.

I find it hard to believe that the people of Las Vegas would find your summer anywhere near as hot as they experience on a yearly basis.
72F compared to 104 is a massive difference I don't care how much higher the UV.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM

I got bad sunburn in Portugal once when I went there. But I loved sitting out in the evenings enjoying the 28°C temperature at 10PM. Couldn't do that everynight in bleedin NZ.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Official open sea temp here is 18.7C for the summer. Actual water temps in beaches, lagoons etc, would vary between about 18 -27C though, with 30C at the extreme. The river had about 4 months of average water temp at 20C or higher.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM

That's about the same as off the coast of France on the English channel which is amazingly warm for its latitude.

Actually I just went to the eastbourne.org website (eastbourne is a resort on the south coast of England) and the measured August average sea temperature is 19.36C. Wow.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Well, if you prefer climates without real summers, you should prefer NZ to France. The areas of NZ with warmest summers (Aukland) are about among the coolest summers areas of France (Paris has summers with 3°C more then Aukland). But the NZ climate seem to have very mild winters, so if you like warm winter it might be OK.
3C warmer than Auckland? Arrant nonsense!! Auckland city averages 20.6C daily mean in the warmest month - Paris about 19.6C according to this reference:

clima

Auckland summer nights are much milder than those in Paris.

If you knew my posts you would see that my most important weather parameter is sunshine. A typical Paris summer doesn't have enough of that. That is what my 85% reference is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather