Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
3C warmer than Auckland? Arrant nonsense!! Auckland city averages 20.6C daily mean in the warmest month - Paris about 19.6C according to this reference:

clima

Auckland summer nights are much milder than those in Paris.

If you knew my posts you would see that my most important weather parameter is sunshine. A typical Paris summer doesn't have enough of that. That is what my 85% reference is about.

Paris summer high: 25.2
Aukland summer high: 23.7

Paris summer low: 15.5
Aukland summer low: 15.3

Paris mean sunshine hours / month for summer : 238
Aukland mean sunshine hours / month for summer : 229

source: wikipedia, from the national meteorological services.

Conclusion: Paris (one of the coolest / less sunny climate in France) has still higher temperatures and sunshine than Aukland in summer, which is among the warmest climate of NZ.

Then feel free to compare with the other big french cities with much warmer summers than Paris: Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulouse, and those on the mediterranean area; Marseille, Nice, Toulon, Montpellier, etc.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
From a french point of view, the Manche (English Channel) coasts are considered by far to be our coldest areas in summer. Even in comparision with areas in the northern half of the country such as the Loire Valley Normandy seems very cold in summer.
Yes I know but I was demonstrating an area of sea near the UK that is surprisingly warm for its latitude. Ye every time I've been to Brittany or Normandy in summer the weather was windy, cool, and sometimes wet and drizzly. Much like NW England.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
20.6 F = 69 F.

So then there are no official NZ stations that report a summer mean of 70 F or higher I guess.

Considering the distance from Auckland to the very tip of North Island, I would have bet that there was a station that was warmer than Auckland (and maybe had a 21 C/70 C peak summer mean). According to this (Wiki again), Kaitaia is the warmest community in New Zealand.

Kaitaia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not quite: the coastal area at Leigh would be the warmest "community", but there are warmer sites. None howerve averages more than 20.6C in the warmest month. Auckland is a large city so there is some UHI effect.

Annual means:

Mokohinau (island) 16.36
Leigh 16.07
Little Barrier (island) 16.03
Marsden Power 16.03
Auckland, Albert Park 15.86
Cape Reinga 15.80
Whangarei Aero 15.77
Auckland, North Shore 15.76
Kaitia Aero 15.70

The highest average monhtly max. at any station is 25.9C at Te Teko (Bay of Plenty) for February, but some locations much further south average 24-25C in the warmest month, notably Alexandra with 25.2C in January.

Mo

Last edited by RWood; 04-18-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This is too funny. A previous poster said how NZ looked like Scotland. Well here is a travel blog excerpt from a former Scot now living in Canada. He visited NZ, and wrote the following blog:

Day 17 - It time to leave the windy South! - Wellington, New Zealand Travel Blog

I loaded up and took off at about 6:30am.... the rain had gone for now, but the wind was still there. OH, well... I am sure I am not the only smelly person traveling these last few days! I fell sorry for the people who are tenting and for those on Bicycles! ... I cant imagine being on a Moptor bike and tenting it. YUCK!
Nothing would ever get dry! They tell me (who ever they are?) that this is not normal for New Zealand at this time of year
its not looking good?

! haha! ya right! its not normal to have -30 degree weather in Calgary either, but it happens every year. I have to say this is starting to feel a lot like Scotland! wet, windy and everything deep fried! ... No worries, about me staying Guys! ... I left Scotland for a reason and right about now... yes! im going to say it! I would take -30c and nice sunny skies!
Basically the country is catching up on dull drab conditions after a protracted spell of dry weather. If he/she had been in the country from mid-Jan to late March the exact opposite would have been experienced. Nothing looked as if it would ever get wet again at that stage ... one-offs like this prove very little.

Coming from an ex-Scot it takes the cake - the unbelievably dismal "summer" conditions in June last year in the east there, documented in this weather forum, would take a lot of beating.

Average sunshine for Scotland - about 1175 hours. When any location there can manage a spell of weather for much more than a week with over 75-80% of possible sun, let alone the 5-7 weeks that a number of places over here did in recent times, I might take such remarks more seriously. Presumably this dipstick would conclude that Nelson was no sunnier than Scotland if he got caught in one of its wet events.

Last edited by RWood; 04-18-2013 at 04:42 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Paris summer high: 25.2
Aukland summer high: 23.7

Paris summer low: 15.5
Aukland summer low: 15.3

Paris mean sunshine hours / month for summer : 238
Aukland mean sunshine hours / month for summer : 229

source: wikipedia, from the national meteorological services.

Conclusion: Paris (one of the coolest / less sunny climate in France) has still higher temperatures and sunshine than Aukland in summer, which is among the warmest climate of NZ.

Then feel free to compare with the other big french cities with much warmer summers than Paris: Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulouse, and those on the mediterranean area; Marseille, Nice, Toulon, Montpellier, etc.
I wasn't quoting summer sunshine for Auckland - which incidentally has only about or just above average sunshine for NZ - there are much sunnier places in summer (though a new station in the northern parts of Auckland shows a significantly higher mean than the longer term South Auckland one).

Paris of course has longer summer days than Auckland and its % of the possible would be lower than even Auckland and considerably lower than places like Nelson, Blenheim and Tekapo with January average sunshine above 260 hours (% possible values up to about 65 in midsummer).

I would remind you that my original post was talking about sunshine, NOT temperatures!

But anyway - you are repeating the same inaccurate Auckland temperature values as explained to waveHunter007. Read the rest of the thread!!

Auckland - mean Tmax Feb 24.2C
mean Tmin Feb 16.9C

Wikipedia has a lot to answer for!!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Basically the country is catching up on dull drab conditions after a protracted spell of dry weather. If he/she had been in the country from mid-Jan to late March the exact opposite would have been experienced. Nothing looked as if it would ever get wet again at that stage ... one-offs like this prove very little.

Coming from an ex-Scot it takes the cake - the unbelievably dismal "summer" conditions in June last year in the east there, documented in this weather forum, would take a lot of beating.

Average sunshine for Scotland - about 1175 hours. When any location there can manage a spell of weather for much more than a week with over 75-80% of possible sun, let alone the 5-7 weeks that a number of places over here did in recent times, I might take such remarks more seriously. Presumably this dipstick would conclude that Nelson was no sunnier than Scotland if he got caught in one of its wet events.

Jeez, kinda harsh to a tourist to your country. That post was from January 2010, not anytime recently, but certainly the height of your summer.

I enjoy travel blogs, and I have to be honest in saying you invariably come across the traveller that leaves nothing but sunshine in Australia only to find British weather in NZ.

Here is another that I found in like a two minute search:

Rain Rain go away - Nelson, New Zealand Travel Blog

We arrived in Motueka, west of Nelson, on Tuesday to what I can only describe as "british" weather! The sky was a mass of dark grey and it continued to rain non stop for 24 hours! Needless to say it was a pretty bleak day! We stopped off at the I site (information) who told us it was set in for the next few days!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM

If I wanted Motueka's weather I could just go to NW France by the sounds of it.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
If I wanted Motueka's weather I could just go to NW France by the sounds of it.
Where you would get 2475 hours of annual sunshine? Yeah right!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Jeez, kinda harsh to a tourist to your country. That post was from January 2010, not anytime recently, but certainly the height of your summer.

I enjoy travel blogs, and I have to be honest in saying you invariably come across the traveller that leaves nothing but sunshine in Australia only to find British weather in NZ.

Here is another that I found in like a two minute search:

Rain Rain go away - Nelson, New Zealand Travel Blog

We arrived in Motueka, west of Nelson, on Tuesday to what I can only describe as "british" weather! The sky was a mass of dark grey and it continued to rain non stop for 24 hours! Needless to say it was a pretty bleak day! We stopped off at the I site (information) who told us it was set in for the next few days!
By introducing Australia, you're wandering even further off-topic, which is saying something! Of course Australia as a whole is far sunnier than NZ. That doesn't prevent the possibility of getting a run of wet cloudy weather in summer in the south-east and east of there on the odd occasion.

Perhaps a visit to some parts of your world during a hurricane would produce a similarly "objective" assessment?

Just for the record: the official summary for Jan 2010 in NZ cited a much worse than average summer month: wetter, cooler, and much cloudier than average.

Back to what I originally said: Sunshine maps of France show about 85% of it with fewer than 2250 hours of sun per annum, and a large portion with fewer than 2000. The "better" NZ climates I am alluding to get 2250-2500. Other details - temperature, Australian climates etc were irrelevant to that.

Last edited by RWood; 04-18-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Where you would get 2475 hours of annuala sunshine? Yeah right!
I could just drive down the coast to south west or east France and also get the much warmer summers. mmmmm. The warmth in the summer there is better which comes top priority for me before sun anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.