Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Wild temperature fluctuations annoy me [snip] My preferences are for boring, predictable weather - the type where you do not have to think or plan too much what you need to wear that day (it should correspond to the time of the year). Having said that, occasionally I don't mind the odd interesting weather event e.g. a good lightning display.
Exactly, exactly, EXACTLY!!

LRH
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Temperature variation is OK, as long as temperatures are mainly pleasant to be outside in for myself in indoor clothing including in winter. Subtropical climates usually match this requirement. Sadly I don't live in one.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM

191 posts, read 163,648 times
No. Here, spring is the least stable of all the seasons. And I like it. I like the thunderstorms and the cool, clear days of the passage of the following cold front, followed by the slow and steady warm-up (doesn't always happen that way, but just often enough for me to enjoy it). Early to mid-autumn is the most stable time of year (excluding the possibility of hurricanes).

Old 04-30-2013, 03:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
I find the temperature fluctuations interesting. We do get them up here as well, but not as wild as the central Plains. I was in Missouri in winter one time and one day it was in the 30s, then a day or 2 later it warmed up to almost 70°F, then the same week it dropped back to the 30s again. In PA the most we ever get are temps going up to 60°F after a big freeze, but that mainly happens in a 2-3 week window in December

Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
I don't like the fluctuations in spring, which is why I prefer autumn.
Have been away in early October up the coast (after an above average September) and not one beach day - this is annoying.
Likewise, November in Sydney can have spectacular form reversals from October.
In 1988 in Sydney, after an above average October and a 39 degree day in early November, was then soon followed by the coldest November maximum on record of 12C and a week of rut weather, in the middle of the month.
Early season warm temperatures have virtually no correlation with the upcoming summer.
The further north you go, the less likely this is to happen.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
OP - have you thought about moving to an oceanic climate? Like the coast of California, for example, where there's little variation within a season, or even the seasons themselves. Or if you simply like warm to hot weather, then tropical South Florida is for you. While there would be the occasional cold snap in winter, most of the time, the temperature rarely deviated more than a few degrees from the norm, especially between the months of April and November. It was certainly weather you could count on...lol.

As for me, I like variation more so in winter than the other seasons - in spring, summer and fall, I'm pretty much always rooting for below average temps. In winter, since the average is rather far below the level that I would consider hot, I don't mind a spike up to 70, followed by a sharp cold front - the 70 feels nice, and the colder 30's/40's does too. But in spring and fall, I do like somewhat of a smooth progression from cold to warm in the spring and back down again in the fall, so long as the word "hot" isn't involved...lol. I especially like long stretches of weather (like what we're having currently) in which the temps stay within a limited range such that climate control isn't needed - like highs in the low 70s and lows in the 50's or even a bit lower. Last October was like that too, I made it to 28 days in a row of zero climate control, a new record for me.

But I do like variation in my weather, like storms and wind and rain, alternating with sun and partly-cloudy, etc. I just don't care much for hot weather...lol. Hence, I'll be taking a much anticipated vacation to the Keweenaw (Lake Superior) in July to escape the infernal heat of summer in Dixie.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,134 times
Melbourne's stupid summers give me the ****s. Cold fronts from the world's coldest ocean are a regular feature, occuring at the very minimum once a week (often more) and turn lovely summer weather into cold, windy overcast manky dross. It can be 30C, then all of a sudden it is 15-20C and gloomy. You can have a period of summer heat (always short, rarely lasting more than 2-3 days) then a good week of low 20's shit.

Seabreezes are another clockwork ****up, ruining many a balmy summer evening with a cold wind, sometimes bringing stratus junk with it.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I don't like the fluctuations in spring, which is why I prefer autumn.
Have been away in early October up the coast (after an above average September) and not one beach day - this is annoying.
Likewise, November in Sydney can have spectacular form reversals from October.
In 1988 in Sydney, after an above average October and a 39 degree day in early November, was then soon followed by the coldest November maximum on record of 12C and a week of rut weather, in the middle of the month.
Early season warm temperatures have virtually no correlation with the upcoming summer.
The further north you go, the less likely this is to happen.
Makes me cold just thinking about that! I have just been looking at this data. What is interesting here is that the average daily max in Oct '88 was 26.2C - this was followed by a month averaging 23.4C - almost a 3C drop in what is supposed to be a warmer month!

That is quite a turnaround....

Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Makes me cold just thinking about that! I have just been looking at this data. What is interesting here is that the average daily max in Oct '88 was 26.2C - this was followed by a month averaging 23.4C - almost a 3C drop in what is supposed to be a warmer month!

That is quite a turnaround....
If interested, have a look at 1998 as well, where an above average September and October was then followed by the coldest November in 50 years - with 27 out of 30 days faliling to reach the average November maximum, as a relentless barrage of southeasterly winds predominated for the entire month.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,061 times
Winters usually have more temperature swings here, but more moderated ones can still happen in Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather