Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern California climate is better for you?
Oceanside, CA 31 96.88%
Death Valley, CA 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Death valley, as its name says it, is a sort of hell. The summers are maybe among the hootest on earth. It is hardly possible to live there because of that.

"Oceanside" seems to be drastically different. Its winters seem very nice. But in my point of view I found the summer temperatures to be really too low, especially when we consider that it is a climate that is considered to be subtropical (a few degrees lower than in my "oceanic" place...

My question to you is where do you live on the coast, and is the temp sensor for that location right on the marina or the water?

The extreme average winter minimum is between 30F and 35F in Oceanside, zone 10a, and would grow many subtropical plants and fruits. Looks subtropical to me.

california - Google Maps

The data from Wiki is not from NOAA, but from Intellicast and uses Oceanside Marina, hardly representative of where the people live. The temp sensor is right on the water.

The data from NOAA for Oceanside inland from the ocean is warmer:

And Vista, CA about 6 miles from the coast is quite a bit warmer still, and warmer than Toulouse in summer.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 05-06-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Which of the two Southern California climates is better for you?

Oceanside: Oceanside, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Death Valley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley#Climate
This is a joke question.

The answer, of course, is Oceanside.

Who would choose Death Valley besides maybe, um, SATAN!!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Oceanside for me. A fine climate apart from the lack of rainfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
My question to you is where do you live on the coast, and is the temp sensor for that location right on the marina or the water?

The extreme average winter minimum is between 30F and 35F in Oceanside, zone 10a, and would grow many subtropical plants and fruits. Looks subtropical to me.

california - Google Maps

The data from Wiki is not from NOAA, but from Intellicast and uses Oceanside Marina, hardly representative of where the people live. The temp sensor is right on the water.

And Vista, CA about 6 miles from the coast is quite a bit warmer still, and warmer than Toulouse in summer.

Obviously another poster who thinks subtropical climates are defined by summer rather than winter, while ignoring the fact that somewhere like Oceanside looks the way it does, due to it's winters. Maybe french user thinks LA should be re-classified as Oceanic because it has cooler summers than their location.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Death valley, as its name says it, is a sort of hell. The summers are maybe among the hootest on earth. It is hardly possible to live there because of that.

"Oceanside" seems to be drastically different. Its winters seem very nice. But in my point of view I found the summer temperatures to be really too low, especially when we consider that it is a climate that is considered to be subtropical (a few degrees lower than in my "oceanic" place...
By this logic, NYC is more tropical than San Diego because it has hotter summers and is more humid/rainy. As others have said, the mild winters enable Oceanside to look the way it does. I've seen sugarcane, bananas, Royal Palms and Foxtail Palms growing here, even Dragonfruit. And I have a Guava Tree in my backyard. While I would also be fine with summers a bit warmer, the summertimes here are really quite nice. There is no doubt that this is a subtropical place.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM

504 posts, read 852,852 times
Hm, an A vs. a D- / E

Tough choice

Oceanside for me.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,044 times
¡Death Valley! I could hardly think of a more extreme climate.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

california - Google Maps

Something about these charts is not quite right. First of all the minimum in winter for Oceanside is not 30-35F, but in the 40sF. Secondly, I check the weather everyday. Nighttime lows and winter temperatures are cooler in Vista than they are in Oceanside.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
This poll seems silly, I have trouble grasping how someone could choose Death Valley over Oceanside, especially considering how comfortable the latter is.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:46 PM

And who did choose Death Valley? And why?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
I think some battles have been far sillier. Temperatures in Death Valley are fine for me for at least 8 months of the year. But I would choose Oceanside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather