Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which temperate climate has more in common with the subtropics to you?
New York City 24 34.29%
Wellington 46 65.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,958,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think you would be surprised at how different NYC would look with a 5C warmer winter. There is an awful lot of plants, that would only exist for you in picture books.

Citrus? Are they ones with their own special little house - complete with it's very own Christmas lights and a nice fleece sleeping bag for for the plant? Errr ... I don't know I would consider that growing citrus

I assume you mean edible citrus. There are bitter or sour orange citrus that do grow in our climate as well as in Milan and other cold winter climates. Of course edible citrus will not grow here.

Am curious Joe90, I've yet to see you ever admit to not being able to grow one single plant besides a coconut palm. There are many plants that thrive and reach their full potential with a lot of summer heat. I don't care how many times you claim it on here that you can grow a plant that requires summer heat, it would never reach the full potential of the same type of plant grown in a hot summer climate.

I just looked up growing crepe myrtles in Seattle. Funny they claim there that they grow them for the bark look cause it almost never, ever flowers unless they are planted in a car parking lot where they can absorb the abnormal heat off of a macadam surface. Seattle has an oceanic climate just like London and parts of New Zealand.

I'd love to see pics of row after row of towering crepe myrtles in full flower from your part of New Zealand. Ever been to DC in summer? Flowering crepe myrtles are everywhere. I'd love to see pics of giant southern magnolia trees covered in their huge white flowers with the amazing fragrance of the flowers. Are there 90 feet tall Magnolia Grandiflora in New Zealand? Where are your Quercus virginiana trees dripping with Spanish Moss? I assume they have then in the UK as well, lol. New Zealand cotton fields everywhere?

Oh, and take a listen to this gardener in the UK discussing the struggle of getting peach trees to survive. Sounds like a monumental task to get a few small lousy peaches.

Growing peaches outdoors in England - YouTube

"I'm advising people who live in temperate climates such as England, not to consider growing peaches, um at least only if you are prepared to protect them........"

Is there any flaw whatsoever in your climate? Are you one of the few posters on here that believes they live in the most perfect climate? Sure sounds like it sometimes the way you go on about what you can grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,738,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I assume you mean edible citrus. There are bitter or sour orange citrus that do grow in our climate as well as in Milan and other cold winter climates. Of course edible citrus will not grow here.

Am curious Joe90, I've yet to see you ever admit to not being able to grow one single plant besides a coconut palm. There are many plants that thrive and reach their full potential with a lot of summer heat. I don't care how many times you claim it on here that you can grow a plant that requires summer heat, it would never reach the full potential of the same type of plant grown in a hot summer climate.

I just looked up growing crepe myrtles in Seattle. Funny they claim there that they grow them for the bark look cause it almost never, ever flowers unless they are planted in a car parking lot where they can absorb the abnormal heat off of a macadam surface. Seattle has an oceanic climate just like London and parts of New Zealand.

I'd love to see pics of row after row of towering crepe myrtles in full flower from your part of New Zealand. Ever been to DC in summer? Flowering crepe myrtles are everywhere. I'd love to see pics of giant southern magnolia trees covered in their huge white flowers with the amazing fragrance of the flowers. Are there 90 feet tall Magnolia Grandiflora in New Zealand? Where are your Quercus virginiana trees dripping with Spanish Moss? I assume they have then in the UK as well, lol. New Zealand cotton fields everywhere?

Oh, and take a listen to this gardener in the UK discussing the struggle of getting peach trees to survive. Sounds like a monumental task to get a few small lousy peaches.

"I'm advising people who live in temperate climates such as England, not to consider growing peaches, um at least only if you are prepared to protect them........"

Is there any flaw whatsoever in your climate? Are you one of the few posters on here that believes they live in the most perfect climate? Sure sounds like it sometimes the way you go on about what you can grow.
I think your exaggerating a little here. I've never said I can grow any palm, apart from when Galaxyman (or whatever he was then) queried the growing of King palms. Magnolias grow here, the biggest seem to be about 70ft. Cotton plants will produce cotton, but it's never going to be viable, so why would anyone bother? Crepe myrtles do grow and flower without fail. I did say they aren't popular though - plenty of options for flowering plants here. You won't see "row after row" of them because you won't see"row after row" of any ornamental plants in NZ - it's not the done thing.

Peaches aren't grown here for export. Are you being serious? I can make $300 a day picking them -probably average about 15-20 trees per tonne per pick (between 2-3 picks a season), apricots, nectarines and cherries as well. You need to let this peach thing go - posting the footage as relating to here was ... odd, real Twilight Zone stuff. I know you think Tomatoes are some "magical hot climate plant", but they're not. I recently had someone on another thread saying that here must be Mediterranean, because olives grow here. I see that as an example of rigid thinking, based on limited experience with plants outside of a person's home climate.

I'm happy with my climate. Summer nights could be warmer. A place can grow what it grows. There's no point pretending otherwise.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-19-2013 at 01:23 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,619,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
PS - come on, B87, you can't seriously think Milan has frigid winters. There has to be a limit somewhere, surely?! You'd be the first person ever to describe them as such.
December 2010 in London was warmer than an average January in Milan, and if that was anything to go by, they are definitely frigid. The winter the UK has just had would be quite mild by Milan standards.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,628,507 times
Surely that would mean London winters are exceptionally warm as opposed to Milan being frigidly cold.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM

13,502 posts, read 9,053,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

Peaches are easy to grow, except in colder parts of England & even here they can still grow them if grown against a south facing wall

As you like to think you know what can/can't grow in the UK simply from an internet search (rather than from people who actually live here) here is another link that I found online after searching for about 30 seconds, that shows Peaches are not as difficult or tender as you seem to imply...

Peach tree cultural advice on growing peaches as fruit in gardens and greenhouse

Quote:
However all peaches, nectarines and apricots are much hardier than is usually admitted. The average Peach has blossom that is as hardy as the Victoria plum and it is a fallacy that these fruit trees will not grow well in the UK.
Most gardening books tell us that these fruits can only be grown on walls facing south However common logic dictates that these trees will be overly protected by a wall and in fact this very protection will cause the fruit buds to open earlier, thus exposing the blossom to even earlier frost. Our stone fruit orchard, containing a full collection of Peaches Nectarines and Apricots, flowers regularly and, even in the exposed site it’s in, we early on noted that the eastern side of the trees would always have more fruit, especially with the Apricots.
Research done by ourselves and many other more esteemed bodies has shown that a protected site for these fruit trees is not such a good thing. Justin Brooke, a pioneering fruit tree grower, had orchards extending to 850 acres in the 1930’s including over 60 acres of Peaches, Nectarines, Apricots and Figs. These were all grown in the open with no walls, and the crops of succulent fruit sent to the London markets by train, even in the severe winters of ’47-48, the crops were not lost.
Most gardening "experts" & gardening books are full of assumptions. I have seen plenty of gardening books state that Trachycarpus fortunei (the Chusan palm) can only be grown in the mildest parts of south west England, when they are grown even in Edinburgh!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM

513 posts, read 915,956 times
I'm going with Wellington. You can probably grow some nice subtropical plants year round, as opposed to NY where come winter every subtropical/tropical plant freezes.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM

21 posts, read 44,507 times
LOL you guys think NYC isn't subtropical when it really is. Plus winters aren't THAT cold. 35-40 average high 25-30 average low during January. Can get up to 55. Not that cold. But then again that's just me.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arman35 View Post
LOL you guys think NYC isn't subtropical when it really is. Plus winters aren't THAT cold. 35-40 average high 25-30 average low during January. Can get up to 55. Not that cold. But then again that's just me.
LOL another "new" member bumping the NYC/London threads

And no New York really isn't sub-tropical Somewhere with an average low BELOW freezing & an average high not much above freezing is as sub-tropical as Alaska is

Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,360,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
LOL another "new" member bumping the NYC/London threads

And no New York really isn't sub-tropical Somewhere with an average low BELOW freezing & an average high not much above freezing is as sub-tropical as Alaska is
New York's average high in the winter is 10 degrees above freezing. And only 2 months have an average low that's below freezing. That certainly places it in the same category as Alaska.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York's average high in the winter is 10 degrees above freezing. That certainly places it in the same category as Alaska.
Durr, re-read again what I wrote lol

And the average high in January is 3.5C/38F that isn't 10 degrees above freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather