Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate subforum.
Yes 94 88.68%
No 12 11.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,124,171 times

Advertisements

Some of us like creating realistic fictional climates by experimenting with what type of climate you would have if a different continent was added. It isn't "crap" to us. I've been creating a few myself for my continent, using data such as sea surface temperatures, macroscale weather systems that would affect the wind direction at different times of year. Good way to explore what kind of things influence the type of climate in an area. And I like doing it.

However, I am not (as you can see) flooding the forum getting everybody to rate them all as you did recently with a number of real ones (and simply inserting a wikipedia link - no effort required at all unlike creating a new one). I will post one from time to time, because it is interesting to share our creations, and you who don't like it don't need to look or offer unqualified opinions.

Last edited by Weatherfan7; 06-23-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,679,764 times
The way I think of it is: Don't enter any thread made by Caleb Yeung.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post

However, I am not (as you can see) flooding the forum getting everybody to rate them all as you did recently with a number of real ones (and simply inserting a wikipedia link - no effort required at all unlike creating a new one). I will post one from time to time, because it is interesting to share our creations, and you who don't like it don't need to look or offer unqualified opinions.
And if you do flood the forum with fake ones, I wouldn't pay attention to them since there are too many of them at once. One occasional fictional climate I'd pay more attention to the details. Other posters are probably similar.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,610,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And if you do flood the forum with fake ones, I wouldn't pay attention to them since there are too many of them at once. One occasional fictional climate I'd pay more attention to the details. Other posters are probably similar.
My "mark read" for threads heads toward 95%+ ...

Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,124,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
My "mark read" for threads heads toward 95%+ ...

As I said I am NOT flooding the forum with them but posting them only twice a month or so. I have only posted four such threads since May 2013.....

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,794,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homevolent View Post
In my opinion, if they were moved to a new section nobody would read them. That being said I think there should be a new section for FICTIONAL climates as those are what is annoying... for example are these super extreme stupid rate threads.

fictional should have their own section because it is all crap and doesn't relate to real world weather.

*dream climates are O.K as long as a poster only posts one of them, but the useless crap of rating them is out of hand and not needed on main forum.
I can't see a rate the climate sub forum being hardly used like the tornado and hurricanes sub forums. Especially where there's certain posters on here in which creating new climates and rating them is like practically a religion.

In my opinion the hurricane and tornado boards should be together which would make them a bit busier.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,244,325 times
I don't even see the point in a tornado and hurricane forum. Anytime there's a major tornado outbreak or hurricane, a sticky could be made on the main forum.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,794,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I don't even see the point in a tornado and hurricane forum. Anytime there's a major tornado outbreak or hurricane, a sticky could be made on the main forum.
I agree thought others may feel differently, which is why I suggested that the tornado and hurricane sections simply be put together. I feel that currently the main objective should be to have a separate rate the climate sub forum.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,679,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
As I said I am NOT flooding the forum with them but posting them only twice a month or so. I have only posted four such threads since May 2013.....
It's not you, its ones like Caleb yueng etc, the ones that post the cold ones

This is just in the last 2 weeks:

Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,731,077 times
I think a subforum would be a good idea. It would help organize the forum better and for those posters who have little interest in it, it would be easier to ignore all the threads. I for one would be in there most of the time since I love climate battle and rate the climate threads both real and fictional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather