Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 AM

513 posts, read 913,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
There are a dozen things I see every day that are way more awful than a palm tree. Graffiti. Litter in gutters. Posters left to rot on telephone poles. Feral cats that have been dumped there by humans. Initials scratched into paint on public benches. Billboards (I hate that visual pollution). Ratty "Going out of business sale" banners on stores for a year. Abandoned vehicles in weedy lots. But a palm tree .... what a nice mental break from the blight.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Gee... the way people are defending palm trees you would think I offended a relative or something LOL like geez lighten up...would you get just as offended if someone made a thread about hating a Norway Spruce? The point is I don't understand why people go out of their way to plant a palm tree in places like NYC or Chicago. I've even heard of people trying to plant palm trees in places like Michigan or Montreal even Minnesota (!!!) just seems like too much of a hassle to make your place look "tropical" what's the point of planting a palm tree in a place like Michigan? Just doesn't fit the natural environment. It's like someone trying to plant a Blue Spruce in Florida, just doesn't make sense. Kind of dumb.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
There are a dozen things I see every day that are way more awful than a palm tree. Graffiti. Litter in gutters. Posters left to rot on telephone poles. Feral cats that have been dumped there by humans. Initials scratched into paint on public benches. Billboards (I hate that visual pollution). Ratty "Going out of business sale" banners on stores for a year. Abandoned vehicles in weedy lots. But a palm tree .... what a nice mental break from the blight.

That's not the point...obviously all those things are way worse than Palm Trees. Duh.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
love palms. tom hanks loved them too, once he got one open...
Spoiler
the coconut, that is.

coconut palm tree

california fan palm

more coconut

walsh river palms

palms do not form annual tree rings.

queen palm

young beccariophoenix madagascariensis palm

roystonea regia palms

cuban royal palm

washington robusta trees

pritchardia affinis, a critically endangered species endemic to the hawaiian islands

Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
I hate palms trees they look so out of place even here in London. I agree with dunno all of them should die or relocate to somewhere more matching like Portugal, or just relocate all of them to somewhere they'll die a horrible wintry death. No, but I'm serious I remember on the way back from college the leaves were falling of the trees typically autumn then I saw a huge palm tree! Why would you plant a palm in London?!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 AM

We should send all palm trees to Verkhoyansk in November and keep them there until March. Lets see what happens

Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I hate palms trees they look so out of place even here in London. I agree with dunno all of them should die or relocate to somewhere more matching like Portugal, or just relocate all of them to somewhere they'll die a horrible wintry death. No, but I'm serious I remember on the way back from college the leaves were falling of the trees typically autumn then I saw a huge palm tree! Why would you plant a palm in London?!
They looked out of place even in Atlanta. Anywhere north of southern Georgia they look out of place, IMO.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
They looked out of place even in Atlanta. Anywhere north of southern Georgia they look out of place, IMO.
It should be against the law to plant- plant species that don't match the surrounding area. Could you imagine planting a birch tree in a arid desert or a cactus in Northern Canada?!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
love palms. tom hanks loved them too, once he got one open...
Spoiler
the coconut, that is.

coconut palm tree

california fan palm

more coconut

walsh river palms

palms do not form annual tree rings.

queen palm

young beccariophoenix madagascariensis palm

roystonea regia palms

cuban royal palm

washington robusta trees

pritchardia affinis, a critically endangered species endemic to the hawaiian islands
Beautiful pictures.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Why should you only plant palms in the tropics when many of them are capable of growing in temperate climates??

If you were to take a look at half the plants many people grow in their gardens you would find they come from all over the world! So are we saying we should only grow native stuff in our gardens?? That would lead to very boring & drab gardens for many of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.