Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Chicago
London 34 39.53%
Chicago 52 60.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
London is not at all windier than Helsinki, but the whole of Central and Northern Europe is terribly overcast and gloomy during winter. I prefer some variation with snow and cold instead of constantly foggy overcast conditions, may it be dry or not.

Almost everything is dead between late November to early April, isn't it? Ok, 4 months of death and gloom.

So are you. Do you honestly believe Moscow has -20C the whole winter?

Of course Helsinki's winters are better than London's, as it gets a real winter feel, snow and have a much greater possibility for a white Christmas. And I'm not alone with this opinion. What if you're into skiing or snowboarding? Where are the best places in London for that?
Not that London really have any advantages in summer either. Spring and Autumn is better in London.

I rather watch this:

than this:

So because I'm from Finland I don't have the right to criticize London's weather? And hell yes, I have a better climate than most parts of the UK. At least we have 4 seasons while you have 3.
But the UK does NOT have constant 'foggy overcast conditions!' fog is the biggest stereotypical misconception of the lot! You say everything is 'dead' between November and April and even this is not true, there are plenty of plants that thrive quite happily through a London winter, more than you will find in Finland. Now lets compare the 'average' weather tables between London and Helsinki - Helsinki is colder summer and winter, the 'mean' sunshine hours are less in Helsinki and the yearly rainfall is higher in Helsinki.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Helsinki is sunnier than London, and a hell of a lot sunnier in the summer. It's not much wetter.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Helsinki has a sh*t climate compared to London. End of discussion. Well said Easthome.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I find maybe a handful of people where I live that actually look forward to cold and snow. Most here just don't want to deal with it, and much more prefer Spring, Summer and Fall. The most common expression I hear is "I dread winter coming", or something similar. I have never come across so many cold lovers as I have on this forum.
I know many. They might be into hockey, skiing, snowboarding, ice fishing or whatever and look forward doing there activities. Or then they are tired of gloomy autumn and look forward to the season to change. Traffic isn't a problem unless in rare blizzards or very icy conditions. The vast majority of days the traffic goes smoothly. You don't even get a drivers licence if you can't handle the wintery conditions.

I understand that in Philadelphia where skiing and hockey conditions are rare and the traffic is a chaos when a couple of snow flakes falls, winter might sound disgusting and pointless. But in cold winter places the season is seldom hated.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Helsinki has a sh*t climate compared to London. End of discussion. Well said Easthome.

Only if you like boring weather, like London has in abundance. The UK has a shit climate. One of the most boring in Europe for sure. Only Iceland and Ireland are more boring.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 AM

We've already discussed that, and I don't think London's weather is boring. You're back to the same stupid "if you don't like cold and snow you like boring weather" crap again.

The UK's climate is only shit in the sense that it's freaking borderline subarctic most of the spring-summer-autumn and cloudy as fek.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM

No, I'm back to 'London has less variety', which it does. It probably even has less thunderstorms than Helsinki. Out of all European capitals, only Dublin and Reykjavik are more boring. Fact. 100% verified.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Doesn't make it boring at least not in my opinion. I lived there and found plenty interesting about it even if it doesn't snow every day in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No, I'm back to 'London has less variety', which it does. It probably even has less thunderstorms than Helsinki. Out of all European capitals, only Dublin and Reykjavik are more boring. Fact. 100% verified.
First, your opinions are not "facts". Everyone's opinion is different kiddo. Second, Helsinki averaged 12.6 thunderstorm days between 1987 - 2012, London Heathrow 14.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM

29,502 posts, read 19,602,720 times
If I was to choose a "boring" climate with few extremes and a shorter range of day to day or seasonal variations, it wouldn't be an oceanic climate such as London or Seattle. I would choose a place like Los Angeles.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Helsinki is sunnier than London, and a hell of a lot sunnier in the summer. It's not much wetter.
London posts more sunshine hours per year than Helsinki though also Helsinki IS wetter which makes a lot of Ariete's comments un-accurate, it is also warmer in both summer and winter and I think the important thing here is its much milder in the winter months, it is the winter months that are uncomfortable in Finland - Snow is all very well for Christmas or if you are on holiday skiiing but like I initially said for living in I believe most people would prefer mild winter temperatures than 'freezing their t*ts' off for half of the year! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather