Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,759,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Yeah true.

Alexandra in the south island has the hotter summers and drier weather overall, although the winters are cool.
Alexandra gets the most days of >30C (14), but doesn't get the hottest summers. Even where I live has hotter summers, and with more settled weather. I remember a January day a few years ago, that dropped to 4C at 11 am - that's the downside of Alexandra summers.

Alexandra does have nice summers, but I think the best summers in that region, are between Cromwell and Wanaka.

Hastings would be a better choice for warm and dry climates. Warmer in every month, sunnier and only about 15 more rain days than Alex (80 vs 65)Hastings, New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,798,814 times
If Quebec ever separated from Canada and the Canadian Atlantic Provinces formed it's own country as well, I think that Moncton would make a perfect capital city.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:16 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,802,782 times
I'm tempted by Victoria ( already a provincial capital city, with nice enough architecture downtown ), as it's very low in weather severity. Not sure how I'd feel about having our capital on an island disconnected from the mainland though, so perhaps Chilliwack ( despite the rain, quite temperate ) or somewhere in interior BC, which while colder, is much less winter storm-prone than Canada east of the Rockies. Osoyoos is great but hot and drought-prone, so in terms of rainfall balanced with weather, I nominate Creston. The valley is wider too, so there is room for a full-sized capital:

Chilliwack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Creston, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I've always felt that Thunder Bay should be our capital based on geography alone: close to the geographical center east/west wise but far enough south to still be on our main transit corridors. Winnipeg is too flood-prone. Miserable climates by my standard, but all the more reason to put our politicians there. Do you really, REALLY love Canada? Enough to live in Thunder Bay?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,617,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Alexandra gets the most days of >30C (14), but doesn't get the hottest summers. Even where I live has hotter summers, and with more settled weather. I remember a January day a few years ago, that dropped to 4C at 11 am - that's the downside of Alexandra summers.

Alexandra does have nice summers, but I think the best summers in that region, are between Cromwell and Wanaka.

Hastings would be a better choice for warm and dry climates. Warmer in every month, sunnier and only about 15 more rain days than Alex (80 vs 65)Hastings, New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I would make it Napier as the weather is at least as good (slightly sunnier) and it is much nicer in appearance.

In the Central region Cromwell is sunnier than Alex, and only a little wetter.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,748,133 times
I would see if Canada can annex a tropical island somewhere and build our new capital there

Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM

607 posts, read 651,322 times
IMO the capital should be a smallish town (to stop inter city rivalries) somewhere centrally located, that's not in a really crowded area but has an international airport nearby. And a colder climate than London so that those in power might realise how unlike most of the country the SE really is.

Actually Buxton is that place....

Old 04-16-2015, 08:44 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,668,341 times
Batu, Malang or Lembang, West Bandung regency.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:54 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,314,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
It is bit snowier than Lyon because it lies a bit more in the moutains, while Lyon is more in the wide plain if the Rhone valley. To me Lyon's climate is better than St Etienne, warmer in summer and milder in winter. Anyway in both case if you are a snow lover you'll be sad since you have to go in altitude (from 1500/2000 high) to be sure to have snowy winters.
I like both, but overall in a 0c winter day you just need to drive up to the Pilat mountains right between both cities where snow can be really abundant sometimes.

For Italy, I don't know, I would probably choose someplace close from here in the southern portion of the Po Valley near the Appenines and not too close from the Po to avoid the endless foggy days.

Well, Bologna is pretty fine.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,192,179 times
I would nuke Berlin and make Cologne the capital of Germany.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 AM

578 posts, read 593,543 times
Not sure about this one, somewhere like Ballarat would cater to my tastes the most but I doubt the rest of the country will like it! Also not quite a coastal location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather