Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

For me... I have always been a night person and thus prefer the darkness over light anytime. I prefer the shorter daylight in the winter and really have issues during the long summer days with sunshine. I usually take some depression medication during the summer to handle the sun and heat. I sometimes dont cope well during 80s and sunny weather. Whereas days and days of clouds and little daylight dont bother me at all. I feel very cheerful this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 04:35 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Strange concept, I'd say the night is the window to more stratus clouds. Or maybe that's a Western Europe thing?
Certainly not a Northern Europe thing. The skies stay clear here at night, clear for the night, or stay cloudy if the day was cloudy. The clear at day, cloudy at night phenomenon is not common here, though it happens as well once in a while.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
My comment wasn't really serious, here too cloudy nights are uncommon in the warm season. Not in October-April though, especially during these long cloudy stretches we often get (what I had in mind). The clear at day, cloudy at night pattern barely occurs at all. For example, I find coastal southern California's June gloom climatically exotic.

To answer the OP, no I don't change schedules. I like the late autumn / winter darkness.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Doesnt bother me half as much as leaving home before sunrise!

Old 11-14-2013, 06:34 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Before Indiana started following daylight savings time, we'd be on central time in the summer and eastern time in the winter. All growing up I was used to the sun rising as early as 5:30AM in summer. Now that we follow daylight savings time and are on eastern time all year, our earliest sunrise is 6:30. So there are just a handful of weeks in the summer when I actually get up for work after sunrise. I've gotten used to it being dark when I'm up for work. Now our latest sunrise is just before the time change in the fall. The end of October, the sunrise wasn't until 8:17am here. I was not only getting up for work in the dark, but driving most of the way to work in the dark.

There are people that want Indiana to switch to central time and I'm completely against that for the pure reason that it would be dark by 4pm in the winter. People already complain about it getting dark at 5 as it is now. The only thing such an early sunset does is make it seem like I should be going to bed at 8 because it's already been dark for two or three hours. So it feels like its later than it is.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Certainly not a Northern Europe thing. The skies stay clear here at night, clear for the night, or stay cloudy if the day was cloudy. The clear at day, cloudy at night phenomenon is not common here, though it happens as well once in a while.
Not common here either. If anything, the skies are more likely to clear at night and then cloud up during the day.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
We live in Florida so we get a bit more sunlight but after daylight savings it gets dark here at five thirty and sunrise is about six thirty. We hate this because the winters here are so nice and the limited daylight when coming home leave us very little time to enjoy the outdoors.

Ugh just when the stifling heat is almost gone, so goes the sunlight!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,145 times
I love the dark time of year, it's an entirely different reality. Working indoors you never really experience daylight outside of weekends for four months of the year. When it is light it's always cloudy (35 hours of sunshine last winter) and streetlights often stay on all day.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinouski View Post
Winter nights are beautiful. Especially with lots of fresh snow.
Good point, a fresh snowfall in the city can be almost as bright as day due to the reflection from the snow.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:23 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Leaving home while it's dark... coming home while it's dark... if you don't have a window to look out of of at work then does the day-time actually happen???? hehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather