Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

Now it's possible for snow to happen when the temps are a bit above freezing, but can it ever snow when the temp is around 13C (55F) - 20C (68F)?

Hell, it hails at 30C degrees (86F), but how come snow is not even possible at 13C (55F)?

Trivially, is there a place that recorded snow at a higher temp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
In reality, no, I don't think it can fall above 40 F but in my fake climate, it snows in the tropics. I made the fake climate before I learned to alter the wikipedia climate boxes but if anyone requests, I can create a wiki box for this climate; //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...mperature.html

Old 12-02-2013, 08:50 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Hail and snow are different in the way its formed. Hail is made by air lifting up in the clouds and the raindrops freeze and attach themselves and grow in size within the clouds until too heavy to support themselves in the updraft and so they fall.

Snow needs to have cold layers to support itself while falling. I've seen 42f and snow and temps drop as it does. There needs to be some serious cold air above and very close to the surface for it to snow at 55F. I'm sure it snows over the lakes and oceans when they are 55 but like I said, there needs to be some serious polar air right above surface..... but over land the question would be why would the surface stay that warm if its that cold above? It shouldn't and therefore this was a theoretical answer I believe.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
Where I live, it sometimes rains when temperatures in the low 40s but it hasn't accumulated snow since 1976. Forecast calls for a low of 37 with a 40 percent chance of rain this Friday night. Is there any off chance, we could see SNOW fall and stick the ground or is there something about the stability of our climate that makes snow nearly impossible?

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 12-02-2013 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Where I live, it sometimes rains when temperatures in the low 40s but it hasn't accumulated snow since 1976. Forecast calls for a low of 37 with a 40 percent chance of rain this Saturday night. Is there any off chance, we could see SNOW fall and stick the ground or is there something about the stability of our climate that makes snow nearly impossible?
Probably not. 37F with rain (often heavy) is very common here, but snow on the ground is about a one in forty year event, less than an inch - and there aren't even short lived flurries between those times, just rain.

Your area is probably similar to here, where the nearby sea always provides a pool of warm air nearby. The common sight of vertical cumulus over the sea during the winter months, indicates that there is no stable layer of cold air overhead.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
37F with rain (often heavy) is very common here
Oh that sucks! If mid 30s and heavy rain is very common you would think the temp could at least dip to 33-34 with Precip once every few years. Cold rains also happen often here. Just a couple weeks ago we had a day with the temp stuck around 35 with a steady rain.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Probably not. 37F with rain (often heavy) is very common here, but snow on the ground is about a one in forty year event, less than an inch - and there aren't even short lived flurries between those times, just rain.

Your area is probably similar to here, where the nearby sea always provides a pool of warm air nearby. The common sight of vertical cumulus over the sea during the winter months, indicates that there is no stable layer of cold air overhead.
Good point. There needs to be cold air above for snow to fall. If it's 37F and the air above is warm, then it'll just rain. If it's 30F, you'll get freezing rain.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Snow accumulates with temps in upper 30s. Rate of fall has to be hard enough and as that happens the temp drops anyway. Happens all the time here. I suggest you start looking at observations, webcams, and reports out there to see this happens a lot. Start right now. See if there's a location where its snowing and temps were in the upper 30s. Not uncommon at all to stick and accumulate.

It happened here at the coast 3 weeks ago. Temps were 39F started snowing and look at what stuck.
//www.city-data.com/forum/32195178-post5651.html

Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Good point. There needs to be cold air above for snow to fall. If it's 37F and the air above is warm, then it'll just rain. If it's 30F, you'll get freezing rain.
Once or twice a year here for freezing rain, usually early in the morning of a night that started off clear and frosty. I don't think there was any freezing rain this winter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
Oh that sucks! If mid 30s and heavy rain is very common you would think the temp could at least dip to 33-34 with Precip once every few years. Cold rains also happen often here. Just a couple weeks ago we had a day with the temp stuck around 35 with a steady rain.
Fine by me as I don't want it to snow here. I did enjoy it when it did snow here 2 years ago, but the local vegetation didn't cope very well with it. The 37F and rain scenario usually only happens around sunrise. By midday it would typically be 50-60F and raining

Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,642 times
@ Cambium, Yeah with the snow storm that ran across Central MS and Alabama in January, snow was accumulating 1-3" with 35-36 degrees

Usually on a rainy day in the US the temperature will be around the same or only a couple degrees higher than the low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather