Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I just love hitting in hot weather, if it is cooler then it starts to give my opponent an advantage.
Is this tennis? Of course not ice hockey.
Hot weather is not good for such sports, but we tend to play at twilight-evening anyway, not in the heat of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 01:47 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
This one had a temperature of 8C/46F at mid afternoon, rising to 18C/64F at sunset, dropping to 1C/34F by 1.00am, still only 4C/40F at 9.00 am (thanks to a downslope breeze, with a nippy windchill) and then climbing to 22/72FC by lunchtime.

A combination of cold change, clear skies and foehn wind.

Here is a photo of the cold change coming through, The temperature was dropping rapidly at this stage.
Well I believe the 1c at 1am bit but what is that all about?

4c at 9am! What time is sunrise there?

Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Why would it be a disgrace? Temperatures close to that aren't unusual for March, and they are barely noticeable anyway.

I guess if you 1C September, you would likely have a few cold days to follow, cloud etc -effectively the end of summer. Here it's quite different, the temperature warms up rapidly, the sun feels like about the worst of the summer, people still go swimming on the same day.Tomatoes have even flowered since then. and the weather will be comfortably warm for some time yet.

It's what an Indian summer actually is by definition - a continuation of summer conditions after the first frost
No we don't. We have warm days.

Like next week we will have like 14c -1c.

And I have had -1c in September before.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:19 PM

242 posts, read 262,403 times
Quote:
It does sound nasty, but 1C in summer is quite different to 1C in winter (I think most people would agree). Plus the temperature was up to 22C by midday, so it warmed quickly.

The lower humidity did result in harsh sun though, with a few workers not turning up the day after, due to sunburn.
Dude, 1C is 1C no matter what the season is. It is disgraceful in summer, no need to justify it to anyone by saying that it is "different" than in winter. I'd expect such a derp statement from Owenc. 1C is a cold winter winter night, it shouldn't be happening in summer at your latitude and especially that you're close to sea level in a maritime climate.

Those workers sound like they need to grow some balls. Not only is that 22C barely warm for summer, it comes after a cold winter night, and at your latitude the UV is really not that strong. I'm betting most of the day was cooler than 22C with a good breeze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Even by Nice standards...in January.
Most of the built up areas of Melbourne don't even get that cold in July!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Yea like the workers next door. Off when its snowing,raining and windy. At every excuse

Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Is this tennis? Of course not ice hockey.
Hot weather is not good for such sports, but we tend to play at twilight-evening anyway, not in the heat of the day.
Yes I play tennis everyday in the summer. I love the hot humid days (32C with 20C+ dewpoint).

Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Kitchen View Post
Dude, 1C is 1C no matter what the season is. It is disgraceful in summer, no need to justify it to anyone by saying that it is "different" than in winter. I'd expect such a derp statement from Owenc. 1C is a cold winter winter night, it shouldn't be happening in summer at your latitude and especially that you're close to sea level in a maritime climate.

Those workers sound like they need to grow some balls. Not only is that 22C barely warm for summer, it comes after a cold winter night, and at your latitude the UV is really not that strong. I'm betting most of the day was cooler than 22C with a good breeze...
You wouldn't understand, as your cold weather comes off the sea, not the land. You don't really get Foehn wind either. Once you understand the difference, then I will take your comments seriously.

So you think there wasn't some nasty sunburn that day? I Will have to let those people (none from NZ, all from hot climates) know that - it was all in their head. You must have noticed sunburn is possible in winter, in this part of the world.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well I believe the 1c at 1am bit but what is that all about?

4c at 9am! What time is sunrise there?
It pays to think of my climate as one that lies at the end of 500 miles of mountain ranges, and gets cold dry air blowing from the south, that can quickly become warm dry air (Foehn). The Foehn wind is also possible from about 270 degress of direction.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No we don't. We have warm days.

Like next week we will have like 14c -1c.

And I have had -1c in September before.
Good. You'll understand what I'm talking about then.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 PM

242 posts, read 262,403 times
Quote:
You wouldn't understand, as your cold weather comes off the sea, not the land. You don't really get Foehn wind either. Once you understand the difference, then I will take your comments seriously.
Your landmass is very insignificant in size. Cold comes off the land in Europe, Asia and North America. Your cold is maritime, generated by southwesterly fronts off the southern ocean. I suspect your coldest summer nights are the result of a high pressure system quickly moving in after the cool southwesterly change. I don't know why you are bringing the Foehn wind into this discussion as it has nothing to do with cold nights in summer.

Quote:
So you think there wasn't some nasty sunburn that day? I Will have to let those people (none from NZ, all from hot climates) know that - it was all in their head. You must have noticed sunburn is possible in winter, in this part of the world.
There are people in much hotter and sunnier climates at lower latitudes with higher UV index that work outside in summer. They don't take days off because of a little sunburn. I mean really.

I don't get it. While you don't say it outright, you seem to try to give off this mentality in your posts that your climate is a subtropical nirvana or something (which it isn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather