Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 10:50 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, maybe just not substantial enough to call interesting to me. Center of France 47N, Center of Spain 40N. That's only 7 between. Maybe the gradient is just tighter in the U.S and that's why you can find a bigger range within the same distance. (not talking about locally or higher elevations either) Widespread stuff.

Look at central Europe. Not a big range from Northern Germany to Bulgaria. 20s only. Would of thought Germany would be in the teens at least if its in the 20s at Latitude 42N. I do see a couple of teens there but locally.

allright, you win, america wins and europe sucks, we are all going to disconnect now and let you talk alone because nothing interesting happens ever in Europe climatically, since you guys said it and this an American-based message board, let us all poor european souls disappear from here and only write something the day it is 36c in Spain while it's -54c in Berlin.

let's all hail the land of the free (airmasses) !

Old 01-18-2016, 10:57 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
allright, you win, america wins and europe sucks, we are all going to disconnect now and let you talk alone because nothing interesting happens ever in Europe climatically, since you guys said it and this an American-based message board, let us all poor european souls disappear from here and only write something the day it is 36c in Spain while it's -54c in Berlin.

Everytime America wins others continents according to some peoples here..

Pure Nationalism.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:

Eh, don't pay too much attention to Cambium, he's not very knowledgeable about weather outside the US or North America. I'm not sure he particularly cares either.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, maybe just not substantial enough to call interesting to me. Center of France 47N, Center of Spain 40N. That's only 7 between. Maybe the gradient is just tighter in the U.S and that's why you can find a bigger range within the same distance. (not talking about locally or higher elevations either) Widespread stuff.

Look at central Europe. Not a big range from Northern Germany to Bulgaria. 20s only. Would of thought Germany would be in the teens at least if its in the 20s at Latitude 42N. I do see a couple of teens there but locally.

Looking at the map most of Europe looks rather constant, about the same to about western Germany all the way out to Bulgaria, northern Greece or central Ukraine. But going west or north to the "edges" or Europe it changes fast.

Finland is down to -25°C going down to -32°C in the subarctic interior. Northwest France is at 11°C. Right now at 42°N or so, the US east of the Rockies varies from 0°C at Cape Cod to -20°C in NW Illinois. Difference of 37°F or 20°C. Your map has a station in southern Germany at 12°F and one in coastal France at 48°F at maybe 46°N in a bit less distance than Cape Cod to Illinois. 36°F difference. Estonia and Finland right now have a huge difference in a short distance, 20-25°C in maybe 100 miles.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:21 AM

I think the oceanic influence clearly shows in the difference between the UK / NW France and Central Europe (in that case Germany and Bulgaria share more similarities, although Germany is a link between NW Europe and Eastern countries).

Central Europe clearly has a continental influence, although obviously the weather does not change there 12 times a day like it does anywhere east of the rockies, but still, the temps in Slovakia are noteworthy for areas where the average temp in January is close to freezing point.

Also, it would be interesting to see the differences in a few days.

Continentality often means more constant weather in Europe.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I think the oceanic influence clearly shows in the difference between the UK / NW France and Central Europe (in that case Germany and Bulgaria share more similarities, although Germany is a link between NW Europe and Eastern countries).

Central Europe clearly has a continental influence, although obviously the weather does not change there 12 times a day like it does anywhere east of the rockies, but still, the temps in Slovakia are noteworthy for areas where the average temp in January is close to freezing point.
I assume there other winter days where most of Germany is similar to France and there's a big difference between most of Germany and further east?

Quote:
Continentality often means more constant weather in Europe.
Reverse of here, the Midwest is more changeable temperature-wise than New England, at least on a day to day basis. And the high Plains the most. Our low temperature standard deviation is almost as much as the Great Plains, but the changes aren't as sudden. The west coast of the US isn't changeable at all temperature-wise, its oceanic changeability is in the form of rainstorms coming quickly in and leaving.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I assume there other winter days where most of Germany is similar to France and there's a big difference between most of Germany and further east?
yeah, definitely. Even within France the continentality is already varied since eastern France shows more similarities with (south) Germany than it does with NW France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
Reverse of here, the Midwest is more changeable temperature-wise than New England, at least on a day to day basis. And the high Plains the most. Our low temperature standard deviation is almost as much as the Great Plains, but the changes aren't as sudden. The west coast of the US isn't changeable at all temperature-wise, its oceanic changeability is in the form of rainstorms coming quickly in and leaving.
The climate here is clearly more continental than places at a similar latitude on the atlantic coast, near Bordeaux or thereabouts. Much more mixed skies over there, and more variability (within a smaller annual temp range). Here the sky is either blue or grey, and partly cloudy skies are much less common.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The climate here is clearly more continental than places at a similar latitude on the atlantic coast, near Bordeaux or thereabouts. Much more mixed skies over there, and more variability (within a smaller annual temp range). Here the sky is either blue or grey, and partly cloudy skies are much less common.
I always thought of continental to equal more variability not less, but perhaps with sky cover changes. The Midwest west of the Great Lakes gets more constant blue skies in the winter than New England.

The Pacific Northwest leans toward blue or gray more so than the more continental Northeast. it might be just geography rather than continental vs oceanic.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:02 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
To make it more interesting to Cambium, here's my take.

These are the current temps now in Scandinavia:

Where I live is highlighted with the red circle. We are not "that" cold, but so far this month the average HIGH has been 17F in my city, when the normal average LOW is 19F for January. Eastern parts of the country are seeing cold spells they haven't experienced in 5 or 10 years! And these locations are SEA LEVEL places or at most 600 ft ASL!

We are experiencing the worst cold wave since 2010!

edit: sorry, 2003 was 13 years ago, so make it 13.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I always thought of continental to equal more variability not less, but perhaps with sky cover changes. The Midwest west of the Great Lakes gets more constant blue skies in the winter than New England.

The Pacific Northwest leans toward blue or gray more so than the more continental Northeast. it might be just geography rather than continental vs oceanic.
I have no idea honestly. But yeah, european oceanic probably differs a great deal from North American oceanic, and same goes for continental. The cloud videos of London (winter and summer) that someone posted elsewhere today or yesterday are very typical of oceanic climate skies of western european locations, or at least of conditions where the dominant influence is the atlantic ocean.

For me these skies do not look like winter or summer, but more like spring and fall because those are the conditions that are met mostly in these seasons in the city where I grew up, which already is a bit far from the ocean, blue skies being a summer thing while completely overcast days would be more a winter thing, even if they are not exclusive obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather