Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

Syracuse NY?! OMG THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED CLIMATES ON THE WEBSITE. YOU CAN GET SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPERATURES WELL INTO MARCH, APRIL AND EVEN MAY! SPRING IS OPTIONAL HERE. Summers are boring, most years you don't even get 90F. For some reason March is just as likely to get snow and freezing temperatures as December Winters seem to last forever and are greyer than a slab of concrete! SYRACUSE NY IS AN AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL CLIMATE AND YOU DO NOT REALLY KNOW HOW ATROCIOUS IT IS UNTIL YOU SPEND A YEAR OR TWO THERE. THIS IS NOT A FOUR SEASON PARADISE, MORE LIKE A WINTER PARADISE WITH A NONEXISTENT SPRING AND A BORING SUMMER DEVOID OF ANY SERIOUS HEAT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 10:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,531 times
I can see why you find Syracuse overrated but you did post some false information.

Most years in Syracuse DO reach 90: Since 1902, just 10 years failed to reach 90. That's 91% of years that do get to 90.

March is NOT just as likely as December to get snow and freezing temps. March averages 18.0" of snow, December averages 32.7". March has a mean of 34.2, December has a mean of 29.4. Yes, there's still cold/snow in March. No, its not the same as December.

13 Mays have had snow, 24 have reached 90. Sure, May can get snow...but rarely...and it gets to 90 more often. May has an average high close to 70 degrees. It's just variable, not cold and is certainly springlike.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 PM

269 posts, read 199,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
I can see why you find Syracuse overrated but you did post some false information.

Most years in Syracuse DO reach 90: Since 1902, just 10 years failed to reach 90. That's 91% of years that do get to 90.

March is NOT just as likely as December to get snow and freezing temps. March averages 18.0" of snow, December averages 32.7". March has a mean of 34.2, December has a mean of 29.4. Yes, there's still cold/snow in March. No, its not the same as December.

13 Mays have had snow, 24 have reached 90. Sure, May can get snow...but rarely...and it gets to 90 more often. May has an average high close to 70 degrees. It's just variable, not cold and is certainly springlike.
Regardless of whether those facts were right or wrong, it's still a terrible climate, although Im not sure how it's overrated

Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
Regardless of whether those facts were right or wrong, it's still a terrible climate, although Im not sure how it's overrated
It has a lot of fans. As I said, climates like San Diego and Perth aren't always people's favourites as the stereotype goes. There are lot of people who are fans of Boston, Toronto, Chicago and other trashes.

Ask the cold or four seasonal lovers their favourite climate, and they'll usually pick something like Syracuse. They all have the same mindset; They're fans of humid continental climates that must be rainy all year round and extremely snowy in the winter. Really irks me (I don't care if it's an "opinion" - we all have the right to critique an opinion, because well, it's OUR opinion too).

Furthermore, it amazes me how continental lovers would choose the above climate and yet they'll generally hate something like this , because it's "too dry/sunny". Just Lol. They want their four seasonal climate to have everything (blizzards, floods), but just not sunshine. Pfft....

Old 08-05-2017, 10:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Syracuse is an awesome climate, one of the best in the Northeast US.

^Yerevan is decent too, but definitely not as good as Syracuse precisely because of the reasons you mentioned (and because of warmer transitions). Though it does have better geography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Anything humid subtropical or tropical.

Garbage climates imo.
Forgot to mention, let's add Mediterranean climates to that list.

Last edited by Shalop; 08-05-2017 at 11:50 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 11:57 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It has a lot of fans. As I said, climates like San Diego and Perth aren't always people's favourites as the stereotype goes. There are lot of people who are fans of Boston, Toronto, Chicago and other trashes.

Ask the cold or four seasonal lovers their favourite climate, and they'll usually pick something like Syracuse. They all have the same mindset; They're fans of humid continental climates that must be rainy all year round and extremely snowy in the winter. Really irks me (I don't care if it's an "opinion" - we all have the right to critique an opinion, because well, it's OUR opinion too).

Furthermore, it amazes me how continental lovers would choose the above climate and yet they'll generally hate something like this , because it's "too dry/sunny". Just Lol. They want their four seasonal climate to have everything (blizzards, floods), but just not sunshine. Pfft....
Because an overt amount of sunshine is boring. I'm OK with about 45-50% possible sunshine, you get above about 60% or below 35-40% sunshine and it'll be too sunny or too cloudy for me. Also usually too much sunshine indicates there's a lack of thunderstorms or not enough rain.

I think critiquing someone's "opinion" is rather meaningless though. What does it accomplish? The person is not going to suddenly change their mind after the critique. Matter of fact, it might induce a hostile reply. Like who the **** are you to question my preferences?

Btw - not a personal attack against you or anything so please don't take it like that. Just giving you the other side of things. It can be quite annoying to constantly have to "explain" your preferences when really there shouldn't be a reason to do so. People like what they like period. Now someone with extreme preference (say someone who likes 120 F summers or -80 F winters) might come across a bit weird and not genuine, but eh who cares? There's bigger worries in life than to wonder why someone likes what they like or "critique" it.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Because Scandinavia, Canada and Russia are generally worshipped for having great climates.
Scandi ones are always talked about, people make like 7 billion climate boxes of them

Old 08-06-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Syracuse is an awesome climate, one of the best in the Northeast US.

^Yerevan is decent too, but definitely not as good as Syracuse precisely because of the reasons you mentioned (and because of warmer transitions). Though it does have better geography.

Forgot to mention, let's add Mediterranean climates to that list.
So you ONLY Like continental climates?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:34 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
So you ONLY Like continental climates?
Yep, continental and subarctic climates are the best, Canada and Siberia specifically.

Desert climates and semi-arid climates can be good too, on the colder end of those regimes.

Polar and ice cap climates... I'd love spending a year at an Antarctic research station.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Yep, continental and subarctic climates are the best, Canada and Siberia specifically.

Desert climates and semi-arid climates can be good too, on the colder end of those regimes.

Polar and ice cap climates... I'd love spending a year at an Antarctic research station.
Wow I guess we just have completely opposite preferences! I honestly don't understand people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather