Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 09:29 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Yeah but when your family is part of it you have to do it.

My aunt said if her daughter married a Protestant she'd disown her. Terrible.
Wow, that is just silly.

Couldn't imagine your aunts face when the daughter brings home a guy of a different race.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
No she said that was fine but she couldn't marry a protestant.
She's not joking either.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
God does exist.
Not sure about his god though, he's not a christian.
No, there is no such thing as God. Do you have any evidence for his existance?

And rather hypocritical of you to say your God does exist, yet someone elses doesn't lol...

Quote:
And I think you are being a bit ignorant. You don't understand the hell that he would go through if he did that, everyone's family has good intentions and if those intentions are not being met he could be disowned, you are not from a religious family you have no idea. There have been ceremonies that I didn't want to take part in but I had to because my parents would get offended and my family would harass me. You have no idea.
I'm not being ignorant at all thanks. He doesn't even live at home any more, so would his Dad even find out that he had alcohol? The only way he would find out is if he told him! He keeps bleating on about how "his" religion is holding him back from doing what he really wants to do, so why keep being a part of a religion that has so many "rules" that you cannot abide by?

His family don't need to know if he drinks or sleeps with women, he can pretend to be the good little Hindu if he wishes to keep the peace or he can tell his family that it is HIS life & he is living it how HE wants. Up to him

Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

As for the glacier thing, sure, that looks like fun, as long as it's not above 12,000 feet or so. When I spent some time on the altiplano back in the day, I came down with a case of altitude sickness and had to fly down to the coast in order to recover. I went from feeling miserable at La Paz airport (13k + feet) to feeling marvelous thirty minutes later when the plane landed at sea level in Arica, Chile. I guess I'm kinda addicted to oxygen...lol.

Oh yeah, this reminds me of when I first landed in Cusco, which is 11,000 feet. I ended up having two (2) beers with people I'd just met, and i was doing fine until I stood up - and I got very dizzy. I learned real fast you gotta watch your drinking at altitude...lol.
I talked with the priest and he said that all I had to do was immerse myself in the closest freshwater body. Are there swimmable lakes around Atlanta ?

This location is at 18K ft, and I really want to do the hike. I've done horseback riding on himalayan peaks only once (at the age of 12), but it was in june and most of the snow had melted . I really want to do it again in fresh and fluffy snow, of course with Oxygen tanks. And if I am visiting such a serene location, might as well do the meditation if its very auspicious .

Old 09-14-2014, 01:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,506 times
Let's not start an argument about religions, please.

Alos, these 60s won't last. That's disappointing.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:08 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I talked with the priest and he said that all I had to do was immerse myself in the closest freshwater body. Are there swimmable lakes around Atlanta ?

This location is at 18K ft, and I really want to do the hike. I've done horseback riding on himalayan peaks only once (at the age of 12), but it was in june and most of the snow had melted . I really want to do it again in fresh and fluffy snow, of course with Oxygen tanks. And if I am visiting such a serene location, might as well do the meditation if its very auspicious .
Lake Lanier is where people go for a "beach" swim around here, it's about 30 minutes north of the city. Don't know of any swimmable places here in the city - dunno if the lake around Stone Mtn has a swimming beach or not (if it does, it's prolly closed for the season.)

As for the meditation thing in winter at 18k feet - you just might turn into a Popsicle if you do that...lol. Hiking in snow is extremely tiring over long distances, so you'll have to keep that in mind too.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:04 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
Let's not start an argument about religions, please.

Alos, these 60s won't last. That's disappointing.
No, so many people restrict themselves in life and hold back because of religion for no reason at all. If you truly believe that for yourself then fair enough, but for people who feel restricted because their parents force them or likewise similar, that is just ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:09 PM

I would let my parents down if I didn't do the ceremoney

Old 09-14-2014, 04:11 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
That's their problem if they want to force their religion on you. From the sounds of it, religion sounds more like a 'chore' to you which is why the whole thing is stupid. Nobody should be forced into something.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:13 PM

I know but this is Northern Ireland so.. We will be denounced if we don't conform
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather