Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Great stuff.

Looks cold in Melbourne too, 1.6C for the city, got down to 0.0C at the airport and -3.0C at Avalon.

Inland Canberra scored -6.0C whilst up at Perisher -13.0C.
I'm sure the rain-sodden inhabitants of NZ's Northland - massive totals for both June and July - would be happy to swap that for Sydney's 231 hrs of sunshine in July, with very little rainfall to boot and average Tmaxs at Obs & airport of 19.0C and 18.8C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Great stuff.

Looks cold in Melbourne too, 1.6C for the city, got down to 0.0C at the airport and -3.0C at Avalon.

Inland Canberra scored -6.0C whilst up at Perisher -13.0C.
Many sites in the southern tablelands dropped below -5C:
Cooma Ap -10.5C
Goulburn -6.7C
Mt Ginini -6.3C
Canberra -6.1C
Bombala -6.0C
Moss Vale -5.1C

Perth dropped to 3C as did Adelaide, Hobart 2C and Brisbane 9C. More cold mornings forecast over the next few days with Canberra expected to drop below zero over the next seven mornings.

Nice day for staying indoors and catching up on paperwork especially the tax return part. I love it when the government has to pay me a nice refund :-) and reading too with the heater on.

According to current long range models, highs look like shifting a bit further south which will result in warmer and humid easterly winds (hopefully with rain/showers) for here - bring it on

Old 08-02-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I'm sure the rain-sodden inhabitants of NZ's Northland - massive totals for both June and July - would be happy to swap that for Sydney's 231 hrs of sunshine in July, with very little rainfall to boot and average Tmaxs at Obs & airport of 19.0C and 18.8C.
To clarify some points, it wasn't an excessively sunny month with 130 hours over the first thirteen days alone and 30 hours towards the end of the month. Also the sun recorder is located at the airport which is generally a bit sunnier than the city and here.
We, in NSW, would gladly take Northland's rain right now because that horrible and evil drought is spreading it's tentacles further out :-(
Northland recorded most of its rain in a few days though. Wellington did much better with the high number of rain days and cloudy days (from the second week onwards), not to mention that lovely wet southerly spell mid month - I was so envious
As for temperatures, easily skewed by the last three days exceeding 23C - longest spell of consecutive days (for July) on record. There were many cold and windy days too.
The airport site tends to record "higher temperatures" in NW flows because it's too "near" a runway.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 08-02-2014 at 06:11 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 06:12 PM

5,741 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Many sites in the southern tablelands dropped below -5C:
Cooma Ap -10.5C
Goulburn -6.7C
Mt Ginini -6.3C
Canberra -6.1C
Bombala -6.0C
Moss Vale -5.1C
Pretty much like late spring in Alberta.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:20 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
To clarify some points, it wasn't an excessively sunny month with 130 hours over the first thirteen days alone and 30 hours towards the end of the month. Also the sun recorder is located at the airport which is generally a bit sunnier than the city and here.
We, in NSW, would gladly take Northland's rain right now because that horrible and evil drought is spreading it's tentacles further out :-(
Northland recorded most of its rain in a few days though. Wellington did much better with the high number of rain days and cloudy days (from the second week onwards), not to mention that lovely wet southerly spell mid month - I was so envious
As for temperatures, easily skewed by the last three days exceeding 23C - longest spell of consecutive days (for July) on record. There were many cold and windy days too.
The airport site tends to record "higher temperatures" in NW flows because it's too "near" a runway.
That sunshine is "excessive" for sure by NZ standards. The average % of possible in Sydney in July, Aug and Sept is far ahead of any NZ location's value in any month of the year.

Northland's flooding has caused a huge amount of damage, even though it's not exactly new - the mid-years of 1946 and 1956 (particularly) were extremely wet, with some locations passing their annual average in July 1956. The concentration in a third of the month only made matters worse. One of my brothers spent a year in Whangarei - one of its sunnier and relatively drier years - and was vastly unimpressed.

3 days of temperature "skew" can't change that June or July mean down to NZ levels, except in the most extreme instances.

The Ob. Hill average Tmax was higher than at the airport, albeit by only 0.2C.

The dull spell in W'gton started on the 11th, and was quite prolonged, turning a sunny start into a significant monthly deficit. Ironically rainfall was only about average.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Not always though. If there is a pure S, SE or E flow which is humid then that is fine with me but as for the SSW flow that is far too dry. There have been many occasions where I've had "electric" shocks from touching metal objects alone and it's so bloody annoying!
Oh, my mistake, I mean that SSE's are usually moist. SSWs are still on the dry side.

Btw, where do you get the sunshine hours data? You just said that last month had 135 hours of sun?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
A few seconds of soft hail , which is the first I've seen here. Very much early spring weather today. Temps around 15C, with frequent sun showers.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
That sunshine is "excessive" for sure by NZ standards. The average % of possible in Sydney in July, Aug and Sept is far ahead of any NZ location's value in any month of the year.

Northland's flooding has caused a huge amount of damage, even though it's not exactly new - the mid-years of 1946 and 1956 (particularly) were extremely wet, with some locations passing their annual average in July 1956. The concentration in a third of the month only made matters worse. One of my brothers spent a year in Whangarei - one of its sunnier and relatively drier years - and was vastly unimpressed.

3 days of temperature "skew" can't change that June or July mean down to NZ levels, except in the most extreme instances.

The Ob. Hill average Tmax was higher than at the airport, albeit by only 0.2C.

The dull spell in W'gton started on the 11th, and was quite prolonged, turning a sunny start into a significant monthly deficit. Ironically rainfall was only about average.
Of course it will feel nice to Kiwis but no big deal here.
Northland is like Sydney - very prone to wet and dry periods. That is one like I like about here - drought always ends with a big bang
As for the Observatory Hill site - I must point out that this site is not referred to popularly nowadays in Sydney weather circles because of the urban heat island effect (in a southerly, the airport represents the true value and Ob. Hill does not because it's in the lee of a sheltered "hill"). It is, however, good during the summers because it's exposed to the nor'easter which often warms up crossing land to other sites such as Penrith, Bankstown and Liverpool.
Sydney Olympic Park is becoming the "new" Ob. Hill site because it's in a area with good exposure and not shaded by high rise buildings and apartments. One of my friends lives out that way and it is certainly much colder than in the city and the same for my area too.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Oh, my mistake, I mean that SSE's are usually moist. SSWs are still on the dry side.

Btw, where do you get the sunshine hours data? You just said that last month had 135 hours of sun?
Sorry, my bad re the sun data. I meant recorded during the first thirteen days.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Well, I've Eeperienced clear and calm 4C degree late nights/early mornings. They feel frigid, but in a 'still' way. You can easily warm yourself up. Humidity is usually high too. Nothing too complain about it there. At least there isn't a dry, life-sucking airconditioner blowing in your face and body, thus making it feel 10x colder.

Again, it's all relativity. You folks better understand that. Even Einstein made quotes about relativity. 5C windchill compared to the average 17-20C winter days would feel bloody freezing to us!
It all boils down to "acclimitastion". People from the UK often find our winter temperatures warm whereas we, locals, do not because days above 20C are so common.
I don't consider 21C, 22C etc warm in a westerly flow because the dew points are so low. If it was during a easterly flow, it wouldn't feel so cold because of the increase in dew points. Another local feature is whilst it's calm inland, it's often windy on the coast and westerlies carry cold air to the coast so it's freezing. I wonder how you find it when you come to the coast from inland? Do you find any big variations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather