Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you rate Snowy Paradise?
A 9 33.33%
B 3 11.11%
C 2 7.41%
D 1 3.70%
E 2 7.41%
F 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

A++: I am buying property there. It looks more like my Ideal climate :

My current climate is a C+ due to hot summers, but at least we can hope for some cold in winter and cool A/C free nights in summer.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/His...ation=USNJ0485

And I will be moving to this F-- Climate where pleasant nights with mid 50's don't come till Mid October .
CNJ would mostly see its first frost by then .

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/His...ation=USGA0028

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 07-12-2014 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:52 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,975,599 times
A-. Summers are about 3c too warm and sunshine is too high, but I like the high snowfall.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:03 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
F-

A travesty...Lol...and do the summers have to be that wet? Seriously I would've given it an E+ if the summers were drier with less rainy days...!

Old 07-12-2014, 11:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
75% / C. May is too cold.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:19 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,105 times
F. This is a climatic nightmare.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 AM

615 posts, read 1,391,968 times
A classic case of "to each his own". Amazing how many people have popped up here to praise it. I give it a D-. The summer temperatures are not too bad, but July in particular is far too rainy. I don't like cold winters. If it were not for family, I'd be on the next bus south.

One RL city with a climate similar to yours is Houghton, MI (only, or course, with the great short peak of rain in July, which may be unrealistic) - or, the climate that Detroit has actually had this year, not its usual climate.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:23 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Have you ever really lived in the really frigid snow belt? I do, and believe me, it is not paradise. We've only had a couple days in June that hit 80. We're struggling to get into the 70's in July, with most days in the 60's and mid-40's at night. Now they're telling us to expect some ***cold*** weather! This is the summer we're getting after a record breaking cold and snowy winter.
You wouldn't happen to be from the UP, would you?

60's in July and 40's at night - all I can say about that is ahhhh. I notice the forecast for Houghton indicates 50's for highs Mon and Tues, pretty chilly for July, but 70's return by the end of the week.

To answer your question, I haven't lived in a cold "snow belt" climate, although I've always been a huge lover of snow. They say you're supposed to visit the place you wish to move to several times before making the big leap, so for my 2nd visit to the area will be in the winter. I'm hoping to do a January (this coming winter) visit up there to contrast it with my July visit of last year - I'm checking out Airbnb listings now, in fact. I'm hoping to get my uncle who lives in SE Michigan to join me as well so we can ride snowmobiles together.

So if I stay up there for a week at the peak of winter, and have a total blast, I'll be able to rebuff people telling me "you're gonna hate the winters"... lol.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:28 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
A classic case of "to each his own". Amazing how many people have popped up here to praise it. I give it a D-. The summer temperatures are not too bad, but July in particular is far too rainy. I don't like cold winters. If it were not for family, I'd be on the next bus south.

One RL city with a climate similar to yours is Houghton, MI (only, or course, with the great short peak of rain in July, which may be unrealistic) - or, the climate that Detroit has actually had this year, not its usual climate.
Yes, I based this on Houghton's climate, with a mix of Anchorage thrown in. My big concern with Houghton's climate, is in fact, the lower precip amounts in summer, but when I visited last July, I got to experience quite a bit of rain, and I think the total rainfall for the month was over the amount I have in my climate table. Everything was certainly very green and lush. Perhaps this is an indication of things to come? It was a bit hot as well, but at least I got to experience one full day of temps in the 60's, with a low of 43 the last morning I was there.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 AM

223 posts, read 300,346 times
Default Dream Climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight;35627585[B
]You wouldn't happen to be from the UP, would you[/b]?

60's in July and 40's at night - all I can say about that is ahhhh. I notice the forecast for Houghton indicates 50's for highs Mon and Tues, pretty chilly for July, but 70's return by the end of the week.

To answer your question, I haven't lived in a cold "snow belt" climate, although I've always been a huge lover of snow. They say you're supposed to visit the place you wish to move to several times before making the big leap, so for my 2nd visit to the area will be in the winter. I'm hoping to do a January (this coming winter) visit up there to contrast it with my July visit of last year - I'm checking out Airbnb listings now, in fact. I'm hoping to get my uncle who lives in SE Michigan to join me as well so we can ride snowmobiles together.

So if I stay up there for a week at the peak of winter, and have a total blast, I'll be able to rebuff people telling me "you're gonna hate the winters"... lol.
OMG...no, I'm not a Yooper! That place literally gets buried in snow from early November (even the end of October) until May. I'm from Northernmost Wisconsin. It's not much better, but at least it is better than living in the UP (if you don't like winter). I have lived in other areas of the country, but due to family issues, I have had to plant roots here for now.

You have no idea what it's like in mid-winter up here! I have special boots (with boot liners) that keep your feet warm down to -40 below zero...and my feet still get cold, so I have to put in disposable foot warmers too.

Tomorrow night it will get down to 42 degrees here with a high of 59 degrees. Ugh!

I agree with what people have told you...visit several times before moving to the UP...and make sure that you do several visits in mid-winter. It all looks like fun in the ads in magazines (snowmobiling, skiing, ice hockey, snowshooing), but when you have to live there day after day, it becomes a stark reality.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post

Tomorrow night it will get down to 42 degrees here with a high of 59 degrees. Ugh!
Wow, that kind of sucks . Though I am a cold weather fan, 59 F as a high in July is stretching it a bit too far. I am contended with winters in CNJ, but just wish the summers were a bit cooler. Around 75 F would be perfect.

Looks like the eastern exurbs of Seattle or Milwaukee suit me well in that regard. Though Milwaukee is prone to some nasty heat as well, its Less prolonged than down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather