Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 AM

983 posts, read 995,605 times

Advertisements

It's raining, it's pouring
the old man is snoring.
Went to bed and bumped his head
and he couldn't get up in the morning.

That will be my theme song starting in October. Lots of reading material, some hearty stews, school work, we always get through it. The rain keeps things lush and green here in western Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
It's already officially Autumn here, Britain uses the Meteorological seasons, and man does it feel like it! It's below 20c and no sun in sight! Nights are already cold! Sooooo Depressing!! Though this year, I think Autumn started in early mid August!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:31 AM

279 posts, read 461,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasguy_14 View Post
With the fall and winter seasons coming soon, so does the depression and sadness. I thought it would be a great idea for all of us to chime in and support each other as we go though these upcoming bad times. Positive and uplifting comments, bible verses, testimonials, bright sunny pictures, and thoughts of next spring and summer are just a few suggestions. Also things like how you survive the fall and winter seasons. It's all about POSITIVITY so we all can survive and get through this.

I know that I will be able to get through this winter. Any cold and dark times are just god's way of seeing how strong I really am! I think I think I can! I CAN do this!!!

If I lived in Texas the summers would make me depressed, not the winters. You're stuck indoors because of 100 F + heat that lasts for months at a time. You should be embracing the fall and winter months, you can actually go outside without being cooked like a fresh piece of bacon.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM

59 posts, read 79,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I can't imagine what it'd be like if you lived in someplace like the UP of Michigan - you'd really be hatin' life then...lol.

But seriously, what part of Texas do you live? Winters can't be that bad where you are, and you get plenty of sun all winter long, I'm sure. (Atlanta winters are sure sunny enough).

Some suggestions:

Move further west, like Yuma, AZ - tons of sun there and doesn't get that cold.

Go to Australia or Argentina for the winter months, and enjoy two summers a year instead of just one.

If you can stand the humidity, move to south Florida - winters are warm and sunny there too. Too many people though. :/

Get some Vitamin D-3 gel caps and take them religiously throughout the winter - this will go a long ways in alleviating SAD.

Take an extended trip someplace cold and dreary in the middle of winter, like Scotland or Iceland - that way, when you come back to Texas, you'll never complain about wintertime at home again...lol.

As for me, I adore winter and I can't wait for it's arrival.

I have more energy, I'm happier, I sleep better, life is just wonderful during the cooler season. And it's not "dreary" at all - quite the opposite. The house just glows in winter, due to the slanty sun and bare trees, and the sky is that magical blue I rarely get to see in summer. The rains are plentiful, with that intoxicating "earthy" smell, the bird life is just amazing, and we have flowers blooming just about all winter long.

To me, winter is just an amazing, wonderful, life-giving season, and I can't WAIT for it to get here.
I have a ton less energy in the fall and winter. Bright warm sunny days gives me energy....not cold dark gloomy days.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
If I lived in Texas the summers would make me depressed, not the winters. You're stuck indoors because of 100 F + heat that lasts for months at a time. You should be embracing the fall and winter months, you can actually go outside without being cooked like a fresh piece of bacon.
I'm outside EVERY single day in the summer enjoying the bright sunshine and warm temperatures! I grew up on a ranch out in west Texas and would play outside all summer long and the heat never bothered me. Years later it still doesnt get to me at all. It could be 115 out and I would not complain one bit. On the other hand, anything under 65 and I am shivering and miserable. Im not like some people that have lots of fat on there bones to give them insulation. I am a long distance runner so its all toned muscle.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
I'm outside EVERY single day in the summer enjoying the bright sunshine and warm temperatures! I grew up on a ranch out in west Texas and would play outside all summer long and the heat never bothered me. Years later it still doesnt get to me at all. It could be 115 out and I would not complain one bit. On the other hand, anything under 65 and I am shivering and miserable. Im not like some people that have lots of fat on there bones to give them insulation. I am a long distance runner so its all toned muscle.
I'm just hitting my stride when it gets under 65...lol. When it's 50, I'm the idiot who's still running around in shorts and a t-shirt...lol. And yes, I have a bit of fat on my bones - keeps me nice and warm on those cold winter nights.

If it's 115, I'd be praying for the aliens to take me home to their ice planet...lol.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:29 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Bright warm sunny days gives me energy....not cold dark gloomy days.
Is there anyone else here who loves warm & cloudy weather?

Old 09-12-2014, 04:33 PM

I guess I should elaborate a little more about why I despise fall and winter (the colder seasons so much). Many of you don't know this, but that Pacific/Alaskan ridge last winter killed both of my parents. My sister went into labor on Monday, February 3, 2014 at around 10am at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. My whole family was at the hospital including me to see the new baby. A mega strong evil cold front (caused by that dang ridge)came through the area that afternoon/early evening and sent temepratures falling fast. Just that past weekend, it had been in the 80s and so nice outside. It was like an early spring had come. Then that darn cold front came through and combined with moisture from the gulf, created freezing rain and sleet. My parents lived out in a small little town west of Fort Worth off Interstate 20 and could not stay the night in Fort Worth as they had pets and animals at home to take care of. So they left Fort Worth around 8pm or so that night to head home and ended up sliding off the Interstate and flipping their car around the Weatherford, Texas area, only about 10 or so miles from their house. They died instantly.

When I got the call that night, I went numb. I couldn't even believe it. I was so angry because they would have never had the accident had it not been for that dang Alaskan ridge that sent never before seen cold air into DFW. I had never seen anything like it in my entire existence. Anyone who says that this past winter wasn't bad is on crack because it was crazy scary! So it makes me so angry and upset to see people on here like Cambium and Chicagogeorge wish for and enjoy the same weather that killed my parents. That is all.

Mom and Dad,
There is not a day that goes by where I don't think about you and miss you. You both were taken from us way too soon and I will never understand it. I know that you are both in heaven looking down on all of us and enjoying being reunited with Caleb, who was also taken from us way too soon. I so miss all of the fun times we all had together and your way of making me feel better when it seemed like everything was falling apart. On days like today when it is dark and gloomy outside, mom would have found a way to cheer me up and make me smile. She could make anyone smile and laugh! I can't wait to be reunited with both of you one day.
Love,
Your son

Gone, but never forgotten!
R.I.P Mom and Dad
February 3, 2014

Old 09-12-2014, 04:34 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
No, that's a bad combination. If it's cloudy, all the heat is trapped in at night and it doesn't cool off. I don't care if it's 100 degrees, give me clear skies.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:35 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Warm and cloudy is nice as long as it's not humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather