Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
It's been well below normal / record cold nearly all over North America
Warming up today though . Its about 60 now and we are supposed to hit the 70s this afternoon. Unfortunately its still raining.

The mechanics of fall and winter in florida has always interested me. For example on monday at 5 pm the temperature was 88f on tuesday at 5 pm the temperature was 58f a difference of 30! You wouldnt think that differential would be possible in south florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Meh. This kind of weather happens once or twice every winter in that part of the state. Might as well be a part of Alabama weatherwise. In fact, most google pics that show snow in Florida are from THAT one area. You'll never see those conditions on the peninsula.

December 1989 Jacksonville had a couple of inches on the ground, and my dad who currently lives in Atlanta said Ocala had about 2-3 inches as well. Rare? Yes. But it does happen. I live in Ohio, and have all of my life, and I am NOT a fan of snow by any means! I have always preferred summer weather, so 85-90 degrees does not bother me. But I digress, I think it would be cool to see snow in Florida (I've seen the Google pictures from the panhandle). But to witness it in person would be cool, because of how out of place it seemed. Heck, when I was there in December of 85 and it dropped below freezing in the Miami area and was in the low 50s with a wind chill, that seemed out of place. It felt like our equivalent of late October, early November here, minus the fall foliage, or bare trees.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Warming up today though . Its about 60 now and we are supposed to hit the 70s this afternoon. Unfortunately its still raining.

The mechanics of fall and winter in florida has always interested me. For example on monday at 5 pm the temperature was 88f on tuesday at 5 pm the temperature was 58f a difference of 30! You wouldnt think that differential would be possible in south florida.

That sounds like mid to late September in northeast Ohio. We'll get a hot spell right before fall, where it's a few days in the 80s, sometimes close to 90, and then the bottom falls out.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Ive always been hoping for a repeat of the snow of 1977 here in south florida (which I was not alive to see). I love snow and cold (I go skiing every year) but admit that living and not just vacationing in it would take some getting used to! My dream climate would probably be like the climate of raleigh NC cool but not too cold in the winter, hot in the summer and allitle snow but not so much that it goes from fun to being a chore

Old 11-20-2014, 01:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I'm not so sure about that Deerfield Beach record low. Deerfield doesn't even have a weather station, closest is Pompano Beach (fairly new) with a record low of 34F. Further north, West Palm Beach record low is 27F. 21F at Deerfield Beach? Unlikely.
I think west palm got to 24f before.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
It didn't even get below 50F here due to cloud cover.
We got down to 55 in Fort Lauderdale but it didn't stay that cold for more than thirty minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
A chilly day by Miami standards. I'm sure many were wearing jackets and sweatshirts.
Down here people wear furs and parkas at sixty. Sweatshirts and jackets are reserved for chilly weather, aka 70 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Ive always been hoping for a repeat of the snow of 1977 here in south florida (which I was not alive to see). I love snow and cold (I go skiing every year) but admit that living and not just vacationing in it would take some getting used to! My dream climate would probably be like the climate of raleigh NC cool but not too cold in the winter, hot in the summer and allitle snow but not so much that it goes from fun to being a chore
That snow melted the second it hit the ground. You could barely see it in the sky and it didn't last 15 minutes. I was twelve and remember it well.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Doesn't look good for a warm Thanksgiving

Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
We got down to 55 in Fort Lauderdale but it didn't stay that cold for more than thirty minutes.

Down here people wear furs and parkas at sixty. Sweatshirts and jackets are reserved for chilly weather, aka 70 degrees.

That snow melted the second it hit the ground. You could barely see it in the sky and it didn't last 15 minutes. I was twelve and remember it well.
Thanks for ruining my dream! So you're saying I cant wish for a white christmas?.

Also the thanksgiving forcast doesnt matter to me much as I will be in arizona!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Why not use the official source?
That range of "coldest night" each winter month chart is incredible. You've had a January that has never gotten colder than 61 F and one that has gotten as cold as 27 F. Many winter months feature an absolute minimum in the 50s, yet several are below freezing. The range in most of L.A.'s populated microclimates is much smaller. From December through February, the absolute minimum temperature for that month would range from 35-42F in downtown L.A for example. We usually cool off on clear nights but almost never get much below the averages.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
That range of "coldest night" each winter month chart is incredible. You've had a January that has never gotten colder than 61 F and one that has gotten as cold as 27 F. Many winter months feature an absolute minimum in the 50s, yet several are below freezing. The range in most of L.A.'s populated microclimates is much smaller. From December through February, the absolute minimum temperature for that month would range from 35-42F in downtown L.A for example. We usually cool off on clear nights but almost never get much below the averages.
Its the same reason brownsville TX has a average winter low of 51 but a record of 12. If the conditions set up just right the cold air can funnel straight down to texas and florida hence the -2 record in tallahassee. However in some winters we have consistantly balmy, humid weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather