Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which oceanic climate do you like better?
London 37 34.26%
Seattle 71 65.74%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I feel like the British posters are whining about London's reputation for gloom and drizzle. It's not like Seattle has a good reputation either, it's probably worse. London has a reputation for being dreary and I always thought of it as being on the dreary side. But before I started to look up weather stats, my image of Seattle was much worse: of a continuously gloomy hellhole of a climate. I was surprised to learn that not only Seattle wasn't cloudier than London, it was sunnier by a large margin than London.
Precisely.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
As RW posted, London doesn't average over 50% sunshine in any month. It doesn't deserve the rainy reputation, but it is somewhat cloudy. I wouldn't call it dreary in London. I like cloudy days myself, and I get very tired of day after day of sunshine.

I often wonder why Paris or Berlin don't have the reputation of London. They get around the same sun hours as London, yet no one calls those places dreary or gloomy.
Good points. Not much of a range of sun averages amongst those 3.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Or could it be because of grunge?
I don't think so, I heard this reputation before grunge music which started in the late 80's. The reputation may not have merit, but I think it's because of the gloomy climate.

Quote:
It's 2001-2014 using the weatheronline climate robot. That weather box should really not be there.
I figured that. You need 30 years of data minimum.

Quote:
---

BTW, does 15 sunny days in a row mean more than 50% of sun every day or 15 days without a single octa? Because the latter is completely impossible.

We have a very difficult time having completely sunny days (thanks to Lake Michigan)

Quote:
We passed your question on to Frank Wachowski, who has been keeping tabs on Chicago sunshine since the 1950s. He noted in a typical year the city averages 46 days with 100 percent of possible sunshine and seldom more than two or three such days in a row. The city's record for consecutive sunny days dates back to July 1916, Chicago's sunniest month on record with an amazing 95 percent possible sunshine. The month featured 24 totally sunny days with two extended strings; nine days from July 3 to 11 and the record 10 days from July 21 to 30. More recently, Wachowski found two occurrences of eight straight sunny days in May 1972 and in June 1976
Ask Tom Why: What is the city's record for consecutive totally sunny days? - Chicago Tribune

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 01-22-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Here is a photo of today, which isn't totally clear skies, because of this pesky little cloud.

This is what most summer days are like when, there is little convective activity.
Attached Thumbnails
Battle of the climates: London vs. Seattle-img_0540.jpg  

Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Beautiful area!

Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I feel like the British posters are whining about London's reputation for gloom and drizzle. It's not like Seattle has a good reputation either, it's probably worse. London has a reputation for being dreary and I always thought of it as being on the dreary side. But before I started to look up weather stats, my image of Seattle was much worse: of a continuously gloomy hellhole of a climate. I was surprised to learn that not only Seattle wasn't cloudier than London, it was sunnier by a large margin than London.
London is a gloomy climate - but people love to exaggerate how gloomy it is without having years of experience living here to actually see for themselves that in reality it isn't cloudy every day and the sun does shine more than 5 hours at a time, and, to the surprise of many, rain isn't that common here - it's fairly common to go weeks without any rain at all (and by weeks I mean 2 to 4 - such a spell should occur at the very least once a year - but usually more).

Seattle is gloomy too, but summers kinda compensate for the winters.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London is a gloomy climate - but people love to exaggerate how gloomy it is without having years of experience living here to actually see for themselves that in reality it isn't cloudy every day and the sun does shine more than 5 hours at a time
Maybe, but many of who exaggerate its climate just tend to exaggerate in general. I'm not really used to sunshine being substantially less common than cloudiness, which is true of London, right?

Quote:
to the surprise of many, rain isn't that common here - it's fairly common to go weeks without any rain at all (and by weeks I mean 2 to 4 - such a spell should occur at the very least once a year - but usually more).
Conversely, I suspect many British don't realize that the Northeast US is wetter than much of England, with dry spells uncommon.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
the northeast and the south are also wetter than Seattle, Vancouver and Portland, but they are sunnier because the weather changes frequently.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Good points. Not much of a range of sun averages amongst those 3.
Paris and Berlin are both more continental though, so the weather is a bit more interesting. 30c in the summer is no big deal (unless it happens more than 5 days in a row).

Old 01-23-2015, 05:04 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Paris and Berlin are both more continental though, so the weather is a bit more interesting. 30c in the summer is no big deal (unless it happens more than 5 days in a row).
Berlin has similar summer averages to London though, so if it gets more 30c days than London it will also get more days below 18c than London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather