Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:19 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times

Advertisements

I like the heat and could adapt to humid muggy weather quickly. It's the bugs that annoy the hell out of me. It would be nice if we could wipe mosquitoes as a species off the face of the planet. They do no good to the planet and serve no real function. Anywho Florida is way too overpopulated and I would not move there for that reason alone.

There's a large number of cold lovers on city-data. In fact the MN forum is majority cold lovers. I can tell you here in eastern South Dakota most people complain about it mostly because we have to look at Rapid City and watch them be 20-30 degrees warmer a lot of days.

After spending time in Rapid City I have to say the great plains/banana belt climate is underrated. Rapid City, South Dakota... eastern Colorado, up into Billings Montana... areas that are dry and get chinook winds... yes it can get below zero in the winter but there are warm spells and many less bugs when out and about. I'd rather live in a place like this than a hot desert such as Arizona or an overly humid, swampy bug filled area where I'm getting eaten alive or having the bugs hit me all over my body while road biking because they are so dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 01:38 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Seems to me people from cold winter places prize Hawaii's climate like no one else. But if you're from a temperate place, like California, HI's climate may be overrated.
They're almost equivalent in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
After spending time in Rapid City I have to say the great plains/banana belt climate is underrated. Rapid City, South Dakota... eastern Colorado, up into Billings Montana... areas that are dry and get chinook winds... yes it can get below zero in the winter but there are warm spells and many less bugs when out and about. I'd rather live in a place like this than a hot desert such as Arizona or an overly humid, swampy bug filled area where I'm getting eaten alive or having the bugs hit me all over my body while road biking because they are so dense.
After driving through Rapid City, I looked up its weather stats. I was surprised to see it was slightly warmer than here, not what I'd assume given the frigid reputation of the Dakotas. Still, I'd prefer Hawaii. I've always had a fondness for constant warmth combined with lush greenery. Sure, it's still humid but it's still better than most tropical or deep subtropical locations. Other difference, at least in the case of no A/C is that the homes and buildings are built for the climate, unlike northern buildings which are built to keep air and heat in. There's no need for a home that's a heat trap. The culture and lifestyle (less suits, for example?) may accommodate hot weather better than most in the continental US.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 AM

55 posts, read 71,251 times
It would probably get a B+ in my book

I look at climates like "how comfortable would this climate be if I didn't have AC or heating.

I would be pretty much be constantly sweating during the summer, even at night. Would rather take the 70s instead of humid 80s. I wouldn't really find it bearable to live in Hawaii without AC, especially in the summer. Id much rather take Coastal SoCal's climate. At least on the chilly winter nights I can wear more clothing.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:44 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
It seems like a pretty boring climate.

I would rate it an F--too dry, too much sun, no temperature changes let alone seasonal changes.

Lower 80's for the highs January-March. Mid to Upper 80's the rest of the year. The lows are in the 60's year-round. The record lows are in the 50's for each month.

People say it's humid but the average humidity is 67% which is lower than a lot of U.S. cities. It's also pretty dry with under 20" of rain annually.

The sun seems to be constantly shining here, too.

Some people might like the mild climate but it has no seasonality. I guess it might be appealing if someone could live with the same exact weather every day.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,220,711 times
I would much rather live in a warm climate over a cold climate. I would be elated if global warming were true, and warmer climates really were migrating northward.... but I know better than to have such expectations.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:00 PM

736 posts, read 487,226 times
Does the desert areas of Hawaii (Kona?) have low humidity most of the time?

Old 03-31-2019, 01:48 PM

381 posts, read 249,076 times
The dry, leeward parts of Hawaii like Honolulu and Kailua-Kona are boring and overrated to me. I wouldn't like that little rain at all.

The wet, windward parts like Hilo are paradise.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:06 PM

736 posts, read 487,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaraptor View Post
The dry, leeward parts of Hawaii like Honolulu and Kailua-Kona are boring and overrated to me. I wouldn't like that little rain at all.

The wet, windward parts like Hilo are paradise.
I would like visit Hilo.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather