Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 PM

824 posts, read 689,359 times

Advertisements

YES, I know I'm a bit of cold lover, but infinite summer would get old really fast. I don't understand why tropical places are for vacations personally, I always thought really mild places like San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia would be, but maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Hawaii's climate is overrated for sure. Having the weather be like summer all year and be exactly the same would get boring even for this Southern CA resident. Los Angeles climate/weather beats anywhere in Hawaii because at least we have some variation in the weather here, something that Hawaii does not have.
The variation is nice but it often comes with very dry conditions/low humidity. You won't deal with that Hawaii, the best thing about its climate IMO.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM

351 posts, read 587,511 times
Default And I would say a BIG NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Hawaii's climate is overrated for sure. Having the weather be like summer all year and be exactly the same would get boring even for this Southern CA resident. Los Angeles climate/weather beats anywhere in Hawaii because at least we have some variation in the weather here, something that Hawaii does not have.
The statement in bold is a very ignorant comment. I live in Honolulu, and the high today was 73F, and the low last night was in the mid sixties. It was far more comfortable than the weather extremes I experienced in Sacremento, California when I stayed with my relatives one summer where it was 110F during the day, and 40F at night.

This is a picture I took of Mauna Kea on the Big Island when I was there 2 years ago around this same time in March. As you can see the mountain is covered in snow. There's a lot of variation in the weather depending on what elevation you're at.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 PM

749 posts, read 853,360 times
A lot of variation from windward to leeward, sea level to upcountry. I live in a leeward close to the beach area and right now it's quite nippy with strong steady winds and just at sunset the 'real feel' is in 60's, need sweaters, blankets, etc.
Summers get very warm here and many people use a/c a lot.

I'd say the climate here is a little overrated even on just a USA basis but way overrated compared to some places in the world like parts of Columbia, the Canary Islands and other spots with a more true 'eternal Spring' climate.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,969,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Hawaii isn't dry everywhere. The entire archipelago is muggy, and many parts of it are extremely wet. I'm talking make the Amazon look like Arizona wet. The wettest place in the whole world, in fact, is in Hawaii.
Yeah, that's true.

I guess I had Honolulu in mind.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times
I am pretty sure I'd love Hawaii. Besides not liking the cold, I don't like a lot of change. I don't find the same weather all the time "boring," and I have a hard time not calling people with that opinion downright idiots to be honest with you (I have to remember that we all have our own opinions and I wouldn't like someone calling me that). No, I like for things to STAY THE SAME, FOREVER. I take comfort in things such as people whom I know who have lived in the same place, the same phone number, the same personality, EVERYTHING, for the entire 35-odd years I've known them. That, to me, is the very essence of paradise--things staying the freaking darned same indefinitely, even if it's for the worse, so be it, but DON'T EVER CHANGE.

To that end, I absolutely cannot stand "wild swings" in the weather, especially freak things like 80s temps in December (if you're not in Hawaii) and the 50s in May (if you're not in Montana). I hate them. They are to me the antithesis of anything remotely resembling normal or even mentally stable. Constant change in the weather is like what George Bailey experienced in the "alternate reality of you were never born" in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life"--everything is totally wrong and it's frightening, or at least really annoying, and you are begging to "go back."

To me, the calendar is GOD. You do not EVER EVER EVER EVER have freak cold days in May, you do not EVER EVER EVER EVER have freak warm days in December. Ever, ever, ever, not even one-time in 25,000,000 years. I am absolutely serious. It's just not right, I'd even consider it downright evil, as if a crime has been committed or the like. (Yes, I know, I'm engaging in extreme hyperbole and you're going "wow," in a BAD way.) That whole thing of "if you don't like the weather in such and such, wait 5 minutes and it'll change"--no, no, you just DON'T DO IT. I cannot say it strongly enough just how much I despise that type of weather.

And here's the thing--it's ALWAYS doing this. Between these freak cold storms when it's still technically winter but it's almost over and it's supposed to be "winding down" now, and those days in the spring where it's 60 one day and 80 the next and 45 the next, and it rains for 5 days in a row when the temperatures are in the 70s but there's no rain to be found when it's almost 100 and you'd love some, I think pretty much all non-Hawaii weather is awful, frankly. To me, weather like Hawaii isn't "paradise" so much as it's MENTALLY SANE while the entire rest of the US (except maybe AZ and NM) are just INSANE.

So please--spare me this "I need variety in my weather"--that's fine if you do, but some of HATE variety. I know I do. I want it to be the stable, predictable, and NORMAL, not all over the place like the needle on a polygraph connected to a lying person.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Likewise, some people would say 85F with 80% humidity is disgustingly humid in Minneapolis but "perfect weather" or even "comfortably dry" if it was in Honolulu, even though it's the exact same freaking weather! I know Hawaii has trade winds sometimes, but it doesn't make that huge of a difference.
Amen, valstelle. I went to the Big Island for a week in a winter February. It was in the low 80s and seemed very humid to me. When I've read about living there, people talk about needing dehumidifiers to stop leather from rotting and books from getting moldy, etc. *That's too humid.*

I prefer weather around 20-60 degrees, plenty of sun, and dry. Colder would be OK, although it's not a favorite. More humid is not OK. I find New England summer way too sticky, not to mention very often hazy/grey.

I guess it would be nice not to need different types of clothing for different weather, cheaper anyway. I have a friend in Honolulu and she is getting "rock fever," just tired of the limitations of living so far from other places and environments. Heh. She is planning a summer vacation in Florida and talked of "maybe doing some sightseeing." I'll be interested to hear her impressions of Florida summer weather!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:50 AM

16,608 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
The idea that Hawaii or Florida is a climate paradise originates from tourists visiting from cool climates during winter. Most of these people only see these places in the comfortable season, so that's all they have to base their opinion on. We always want what we can't have. Loads will say Hawaii's climate is great during winter when they're cold and miserable, but if asked at the end of August I bet some will say it would be too much for them. We need change in order to not dislike where we live. The tropics gets old fast.
This is a very subjective topic, totally dependent on ones personal likes/dislikes. Many people prefer warm climates year round, and some actually prefer hot weather. Others of course love cooler climtes, or dry climates.
Funny enough this topic does not take into account that different parts of Hawaii and the other islands have just about every climate there is. For instance, taking the climate of the Big Island(aka Hawaii), you can have desert dry in Kona, or tropic wet in Hilo.
I live in S Florida, and really enjoy the climate here year round. I could do without the rainy season as it keeps us from doing whatever we want 365 days per year. However we are able to do more with our great climate than most other states can.
A majority of your top athletes come from FL, CA, TX, AZ, etc.
Ever wonder why?
Is it because we are just superior human specimens, our diet, what?
The primary reason is we can practice/play year round, much more than many other states. Heck look at college baseball season. Some colleges in certain states have not even played yet, much less a handful of games. Many teams in the states I mentioned have already played 20+ games and had a full Fall season of practice/games.

In my view, HI has some of the nicest weather in the USA and many parts rarely get that hot. Then again I come from FL, so temps that would melt those up north feel good to me. Conversely, cold temps are not pleasurable to me, where northerners barely need the type of clothing it would take for me to not freeze to death.

The tradewinds you get in HI are all anyone needs to remain comfortable in places like Maui. If it was not so far away, I'd probably have moved there. However I have my nice slices of heaven in FL, so I am not complaining.

`

Old 03-06-2015, 01:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Florida would be unlivable without air conditioning in the summer. Winters are perfect for me though.
Stayed in Kauai for a week and it was nice but a tad humid for my taste. I like the weather in California but too many disasters for me. I guess no place is perfect....

Old 03-06-2015, 04:25 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
in my opinion Hawaii is beautiful although it is not my ideal climate it still gets an a in my book. for me I do prefer warmth but I can learn to appreciate the beauty of every climate even climates like vostok station in Antarctica lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather