Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:22 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,262,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Actually I'm sort of surprised how many people on here like the cold. I've always preferred cold weather myself, but it seems like at least 70 percent of people prefer the heat. Here it's closer to 50-50.
I've noticed a lot of cold lovers on here too; More than you would normally find in most public settings it seems. Makes me feel less alone and appreciate this forum even more

As for Hawaii's climate: yes I feel it is definitely overrated. But then again, I feel the climates of most chronically sunny places tend to get overrated by the general populace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 06:03 AM

555 posts, read 804,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And you're not from a tropical place. Those who've lived in tropical places have a low threshold for cold. This forecast doesn't look hot:

National Weather Service
So true. I lived on a tropical island for a while, and in the "winter," the locals would wear parkas. PARKAS!!!

Old 03-07-2015, 06:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Y'all need to get a grasp on reality. Honolulu is a temperate zone (as is Hawaii in general). It is seldom, if ever above 90° in Honolulu and as previously stated, its average humidity is 71%.

Houston averages over 90° (93° to be exact) in July and 96% humidity (NINETY SIX FREAKIN' PERCENT).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Wrong, Tim. We have high humidity in Houston, but it only averages around 75%, (roughly the same as Hawaii's), not 96%. It does get a little hotter here in the summer than in Honolulu, (only about 5 degrees in July). As Tommy said, you have no idea what you're talking about

Old 03-07-2015, 11:14 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
WAYYYY OVER RATED!!!!! There is a cloud out today, and the temperature at the beach is 78 degrees.
Well it'll be 80 here today (yesterday too) and I am swimming today too. And it cools down nicely at night so I can cover up and sleep well with a window cracked. Yes, overrated.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,940,568 times
I don't think Hawaii's climate is overrated. Minneapolis July sounds great. Even Atlanta's July isn't that bad. If anything Florida's climate is overrated. You can quickly get away from the sea breeze near the coast but still get that stifling heat and humidity. Winters are nice in S Florida but cold snaps do occur from time to time and there will be freezing temps for a large portion of the state. Hawaii at sea level is much more predictable at least.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:57 PM

737 posts, read 1,463,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Upper 60s at night? Cold? That's hilarious.

Actually any temperatures above 60F feel hot at night to me.
It's all relative

Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,463,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And you're not from a tropical place. Those who've lived in tropical places have a low threshold for cold. This forecast doesn't look hot:

National Weather Service
Ahhh someone who gets it. I always laugh when friends from the mainland come to visit and all they bring is shorts, bathing suits, tank tops and slippers(no do NOT call them sandals...). I tell them at least bring a sweatshirt, and they laugh. I took some people to a get together up at Waikii Ranch. 45 degrees. Hilarious. Even Waimea drops down into the 50's at night for the better part of the year. Yeah it may not be -10, but it's cold if you are used to highs in the 70's and 80's.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Yes, Heat & Humidity year round isn't my thing. I love the cold weather. NH is the #1 climate, IMO.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I visited Honolulu in July and Miami in June and had absolutely zero problem with the heat and humidity. Honolulu even felt a bit cool late at night in shorts and t-shirt with the breeze blowing
Similar experience, in fact was pleasantly surprised.
There are parts of Honolulu that actually get the breeze from the windward side of the island, and actually claim not to even need aircon! (not sure on that one though).
My wife went there in October once a few years ago, and found it even more pleasant.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:40 PM

1,011 posts, read 716,369 times
I'd say it's a very comfortable climate for the most part, at least by my preferences. It definitely is a warm humid place though, not sure why anyone would be disputing that. If you don't like very warm 80-85°F and high humidity it's not for you.

Last edited by MeteoFlan; 03-08-2015 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather