Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Yea I think most of the general population would tire of the place quickly. I think the reason people tend to think the climate is so great is that they associate it with things like luxury oceanside resorts and sparkling blue beaches and the like.

But once they begin living their usual mundane lives there I'm sure the nasty humidity would have them longing for snow in not time.
Yeah I think tropical climates are good if you're on vacation in a comfortable air conditioned hotel but suck if you have to work there and sleep in it every single night. I would imagine a lot of places in Hawaii lack AC too because the climate is considered "so mild". This is a problem in the western US in general!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Yeah I think tropical climates are good if you're on vacation in a comfortable air conditioned hotel but suck if you have to work there and sleep in it every single night. I would imagine a lot of places in Hawaii lack AC too because the climate is considered "so mild". This is a problem in the western US in general!
No problem in the south.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
I certainly don't think living in the tropics is "paradise" but I know for a fact that any reason that I'd dislike living in a place like Miami or Honolulu would have zero to do with the weather which I know I'd absolutely love but rather other day to day life factors

Old 03-05-2015, 12:42 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
Although I don´t mind the cold and even kind of like it, living where you don't need to own long pants is sweet.

I lived on Kauai for 3 years and 6 months on Maui, the heat in Hawaii is not too much at all. Way better than say San Diego east county where I grew up. The only times I ever felt it was really hot was in Honolulu. It is not nearly as humid as the east coast / south east which I hate and their are the trade winds most of the time.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:37 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,958,943 times
Yeah, the tropics seem crappy since it's the same story all year with the temperatures. You either love or hate it.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,969,468 times
Hawaii is still better than Florida for me. The latter is just more humid and wet. At least Hawaii is dry.

But it's still too warm all year round.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
I lived in Hawaii as both a kid, and later went back as an adult.

Full disclosure...I was born in Minnesota, and love the snow.

And...no. The weather is very very nice. The mugginess is being exaggerated, the vast majority of the time theres a decent breeze. Dress light and you are good to go! dont wear shoes, wear flip flops.

Whatever you do, do not send your white children to public school though. It was bad. REAL bad.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:28 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
People act like it's room temperature all year but really it's not, it's actually uncomfortably warm and muggy all year. It's like having July in Minneapolis all the time. Doesn't sound very appealing to me at all.
This perhaps should be over in the Hawaii threads.

Everytime we've been there it has been quite comfortable. I do not find it "muggy"{and I am severly asthamatic, and cannot breathe well whne it is muggy ro too hot or too cold}..oh Honolulu can be a bit "smoggy', but not by much really, and the North shores tend to be more rainy, so yes, some moisture and mugginess would ensue, but tradewinds help.

ANYWHERE is going to have the "July in Minneapolis" syndrome some day/time/month or another....
If you don't like Hawaii, don't go back, simple!

BUT I will take Hawaii's over Minneapolis or even New YAWk!! I can at least be msierable in a place I Love, than elsewhere,
ALOHA, Mahalo, Nui Loa, Hawaii!

Old 03-05-2015, 04:52 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Hawaii is still better than Florida for me. The latter is just more humid and wet. At least Hawaii is dry.

But it's still too warm all year round.
Hawaii isn't dry everywhere. The entire archipelago is muggy, and many parts of it are extremely wet. I'm talking make the Amazon look like Arizona wet. The wettest place in the whole world, in fact, is in Hawaii.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,529,465 times
Hawaii weather is pure perfection. Wherever a record cold is like...56 degrees....is heaven to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather