Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 09:33 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,499,910 times

Advertisements

Downtown in the distance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 03:49 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,697,285 times
From yesterday evening.

The clouds were interesting

Airplane

Sunset

Old 08-09-2015, 04:58 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,654,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Some more dryness pics from Germany:

Such trees are still the exception but I see them with increasing frequency:

taking up the conversation from yesterday, here are some typical suburban houses (16 miles outside Frankfurt):
Those vegetation and suburban pics could easily be in southern England. Not sure why everyone seems surprised when places outside the UK look English (like the rural pics Cambium posted)?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 AM

83,686 posts, read 76,040,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Not as dry here.

Took these pics yesterday during bike ride around the fruit trees.
Nice and green! Nice farm there. I like how the rows are spread out in the last picture. They have them very tight in this state to try to get as much yields as possible. Judging by the storms rolling across Southern Canada I assume it's been wetter than normal or maybe just near normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Some more dryness pics from Germany:
That looks like its been bone dry.

More and more browning up here now but not as bad as we had thanks to June rains keeping it greener longer....

Typical see this in Summer even though our average rainfall is 11 inches (275mm) (J-J-A). So far 7.40 inches. 16th driest Summer since 1949.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 AM

83,686 posts, read 76,040,397 times
Went camping yesterday at Ward Pound Ridge in NY. State Park has 35 miles of trails but we picked one of the camp sites they had and stayed. The park is 4300 acres. Decent size considering it's near me in Southern NY. Zoomed out Map of where.

Nice day. Partly Cloudy. Temps in the 70sF and dewpoints in the 50sF

A lot of Pines dying from the 2 tropical systems we had back to back years. The Salt browned them up and killed many. You can see it towards the middle on the left.

Pretty interesting how they had a lot of road to get to different parking spots yet have so much woods to be in.

Got to the trail. Camp site is only 1 mile in. (20 min walking)

Interesting hole on the side there. Like someone crashed through it.

There must be sprinklers on this lawn.

Some sitting water. I think I heard a frog in there.

I hooked up a time lapse camera on a tree and it was capturing images every minute. Pretty cool!

here's the camp site.

Behind the camp site. Little running water. Ahhhhh, the sound of a stream & crickets the only thing we hear.

Had to head back to the cars for something so we took a walk in the dark. The camera flash lit up the front part otherwise was pitch dark all around. No moon.

Black Bears have been seen in the park time to time. Even a Bob Cat and of course the typical Coyotes. Deers are very common

I love how the sound of the day gets quieter as the sun goes down. I mean there were no people, buildings, or traffic nearby yet the noise when the sun is up is much more defined then when it goes down. It's like someone is turning down the volume. Love that silence and just crickets after it sets.

Last edited by Cambium; 08-09-2015 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,194,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice and green! Nice farm there. I like how the rows are spread out in the last picture. They have them very tight in this state to try to get as much yields as possible. Judging by the storms rolling across Southern Canada I assume it's been wetter than normal or maybe just near normal?

Um these pictures were not taken in Canada.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:03 AM

13,535 posts, read 9,100,479 times
From yesterdays storm in Malta, a waterspout in Valletta's Grand Harbour made landfall on Fort St Angelo & whipped up a dust storm...

Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,752,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Got to the trail. Camp site is only 1 mile in. (20 min walking)
Neat. I like walk-in campsite, roadside campgrounds are often too noisy and developed, keeps out the ones who treated camping as a party spot. Was it a pain to carry all that stuff? Didn't expect Westchester to have a campground and park that nice, except maybe near the Putnam County border. Was it cool enough for you to sleep? Tents often trap heat.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,752,295 times
From a bike ride yesterday. Old barn with solar panel. Morning sky almost looked fall-like with the cloud pattern:

street in Greenfield:

water is low

words of wisdom?

last time I was here, the water looked a bit deep in the middle. Very shallow now. Anyhow, shower time! But the shower is set too cold... Barely 70°F, maybe not even.

Worse, the sun got blocked by clouds making it feel even colder

Spoiler

blue sky in this direction

Brattleboro, VT

cheaters!

Spoiler

See that hill in the background of Brattleboro? Let's climb it!

three more:

Spoiler

looking back down at Brattleboro

snake, slightly out of focus

In New Hampshire. Three fireworks stores in a mile, didn't know that one store let alone three could survive selling just fireworks. Good business location to be right near the Vermont and Massachusetts border. Store says no fireworks use within 300 feet, you can buy the product, but they don't want you to use it nearby.

corn getting tall

canal. Turners Falls, MA

Under a railroad bridge

Sunset

Old 08-09-2015, 12:26 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,289,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium
Went camping yesterday at Ward Pound Ridge in NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From a bike ride yesterday.
Very nice pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather