Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The temperature contrast can get annoying at first but I'd find 65F way too cool indoors in winter after being indoors for a while. I'd need to crank up the heat.
Wear a sweater? It's been that cold inside most mornings for me.

Quote:
Meanwhile if it's very warm and I need to cool down I can't achieve that if it's 75F indoors.
75°F feels a lot cooler than 85°F. With air moving you cool. Sounds like a very narrow temperature.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:05 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think his heritage was 100% northern european, too.
Nitpicking, but there's really no such thing anymore. The most Northern European today people are probably the Finns, but even they are just 57% Northern European (hunter-gatherer) according to Nat Geo:

https://genographic.nationalgeograph...e-populations/

Old 09-25-2015, 07:05 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Of course; it's only one example of adaptation, which is why I mentioned it. It's why fairer skin tones are more suited to higher latitudes and darker ones to lower latitudes.
I know there are some exceptions to this, I actually know a few personally, but I think it's true for the most part. I'm so pale you can almost see right through me. If I think about the sun, my freckles start to come out.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Wear a sweater? It's been that cold inside most mornings for me.

75°F feels a lot cooler than 85°F. With air moving you cool. Sounds like a very narrow temperature.
Eh, prefer not to wear unnecessary layers indoors. I like wearing t shirts.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I know there are some exceptions to this, I actually know a few personally, but I think it's true for the most part. I'm so pale you can almost see right through me. If I think about the sun, my freckles start to come out.
I tuned a medium brown color this summer.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Lol,

I avoid the sun. At midday in summer here, it just feels so oppressive.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Eh? Humans are omnivores.
I agree. 99% of vegans will go to extremes to dispute this. I won't. And I don't preach about my personal choices. This is probably the most I've ever said about this....

I do agree that humans are omnivores from a physical perspective. But it is entirely possible, and proven more healthy (leaving out the ethical opinions), to get all the necessary nutrients and protein from a plant based diet. But it is also more expensive, takes a lot of dedication, and a dramatic change of lifestyle.

In my opinion: Those of us living in "first world" countries are not hunters and gatherers anymore. We do not need animal hides and storage of meat to survive a cold winter. We have evolved far beyond that. Humans don't need to drink milk from another mammal to be healthy. That's just silly if you think about it. We can improve the quality of our own health, and the lives of other living beings, by leaving the omnivore lifestyle in the past.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Lol,

I avoid the sun. At midday in summer here, it just feels so oppressive.
I've timed a lot of my outdoor time this summer in mornings or evenings. I do like the feeling of midday summer sun beating down on you though it's not good for long periods, but if I'm spending outside better to spend most of it outside of midday.

I miss long days and high sun.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I tuned a medium brown color this summer.
I'm jealous. I would look so much better with a tan. Unfortunately, I usually just burn. But shorter periods of sun exposure brings out my freckles, and if you don't look too close, it might look like a tan!

Connect the dots.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:

In my opinion: Those of us living in "first world" countries are not hunters and gatherers anymore. We do not need animal hides and storage of meat to survive a cold winter. We have evolved far beyond that. Humans don't need to drink milk from another mammal to be healthy. That's just silly if you think about it. We can improve the quality of our own health, and the lives of other living beings, by leaving the omnivore lifestyle in the past.
I think civilization will one day disappear... as will agriculture... and we'll return such a lifestyle. (Not necessarily in our lifetimes.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather