Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
So what would you do if one day the US became a "Third World Country", and your area became rampant with gangs and violence and you wanted to create a better life for you and your family? Would you just "accept reality" and stay in a knowingly dangerous country or would you do anything you can to provide an increase in the quality of life for you and your family?
That's beside the point, which is that our interests are in conflict with the those of third world people who want to come here. The universe is a zero-sum game. I am not passive enough to oppose my own interests. Maybe they should stay in their own nations and make those better. Why is that not an option? Seems like a false dichotomy you've created. And in any case, simply put, not all can come here anyway. Wouldn't it be more equitable not to let any in instead of just some?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I don't think so. But even if that were true, the bottom line is third world immigration is a bad deal for Americans. Not everyone who wants to come here can or should be allowed to. Otherwise, we'd have no borders (or country) at all and a sizable chunk of the entire world population would be coming here. So why should any of them be let in? This is not a land that should be solely devoted to the acquisition of money.
You think most Mexican immigrants are here to commit crimes?

I wouldn't consider Mexico a third world country. We share so much with them economically and culturally. No doubt Mexico has its problems, but they're partially the fault of the US with our absurd drug and gun policies.

Also worth noting a good chunk of the US was part of Mexico not that long ago. It may be US territory now, but Mexico's footprint their cannot be missed.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:16 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
Quote:
That's beside the point, which is that our interests are in conflict with the those of third world people who want to come here. The universe is a zero-sum game. I am not passive enough to oppose my own interests. Maybe they should stay in their own nations and make those better. Why is that not an option? Seems like a false dichotomy you've created. And in any case, simply put, not all can come here anyway. Wouldn't it be more equitable not to let any in instead of just some?
How is the besides the point? I'm asking to put yourself in their shoes. Would you not do the same? It's kind of ignorant to judge without being in their shoes before. You can't just make a third-world country "better" if the government is extremely corrupt and gives 2 craps about their people. Why should we put the residents of those countries at fault? You realize not all governments operate like the US government?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
How is the besides the point? I'm asking to put yourself in their shoes. Would you not do the same? It's kind of ignorant to judge without being in their shoes before. You can't just a third-world country "better" if the government is extremely corrupt and gives 2 craps about their people. Why should put the residents of those countries at fault? You realize not all governments operate like the US government?
Read the post you're replying to for the answer you seek. It is a zero-sum game.. it comes at our expense. I am not blaming or judging anyone. Our interests are at odds. Simple as that. Or do you really think conflicting interests do not exist?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Read the post you're replying to for the answer you seek. It is a zero-sum game.. it comes at our expense. I am not blaming or judging anyone. Our interests are at odds. Simple as that. Or do you really think conflicting interests do not exist?
How does it come at our expense? And I'm not arguing that there aren't "conflict of interests" but I'm not sure why that means we can't help people seeking asylum in this country?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Read the post you're replying to for the answer you seek.
Your answer wasn't there. Or rather why you disagreed with:

Besides, the people emigrating to the US 99% of the time are just here to work hard and create better life for themselves.

All you said was that it was besides the point, which reads as a deflection.

As an aside, in a conversation when someone it's "besides the point" often what's happening is the two people are making or interested in two different points. I thought it was the point of the conversation.

Quote:
It is a zero-sum game.. it comes at our expense. I am not blaming or judging anyone. Our interests are at odds. Simple as that. Or do you really think conflicting interests do not exist?
I don't see it as a zero-sum game, not obvious why it would be.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,958,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
They're terrible. They're always slobs and it's impossible to have a conversation with one. Completely useless human beings as far as I'm concerned.
Lmao, I guess you have a point

Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your answer wasn't there. Or rather why you disagreed with:

Besides, the people emigrating to the US 99% of the time are just here to work hard and create better life for themselves.

All you said was that it was besides the point, which reads as a deflection.

As an aside, in a conversation when someone it's "besides the point" often what's happening is the two people are making or interested in two different points. I thought it was the point of the conversation.

I don't see it as a zero-sum game, not obvious why it would be.
That's not all I said. What I said after that clarified it. No deflection. I am pretty much saying I don't disagree it's in their interests to come here. But it's not in ours. Real wages suffer, and various social problems arise, among other things.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
That's not all I said. What I said after that clarified it. No deflection. I am pretty much saying I don't disagree it's in their interests to come here. But it's not in ours. Real wages suffer, and various social problems arise, among other things.
What evidence do you have for these problems being caused solely by immigrants? And you don't think people thought the same thing when Polish, Irish, German, Italian, etc immigrants were coming here in the late 1800s? We seem to be doing just fine now.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What evidence do you have for these problems being caused solely by immigrants? And you don't think people thought the same thing when Polish, Irish, German, Italian, etc immigrants were coming here in the late 1800s? We seem to be doing just fine now.
Well, the nation's founding stock may disagree with that. I don't necessarily think pan-European immigration was a good idea either. I can be objective and honest about that, even as someone whose family came to this country in the twentieth century as a result of pan-European immigration. But it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather