Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times

Advertisements

The ounce or o-zee is standard here for pot. No one says 28 grams, except for cops.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Why do people think we give a flying fluck what the rest of the world does?! I don't give a damn. The rest of the world is still mooching off of us and our generous charity and aid!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:15 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,263,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Why do people think we give a flying fluck what the rest of the world does?! I don't give a damn. The rest of the world is still mooching off of us and our generous charity and aid!
Wow!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
I still don't understand why Europe uses inches for the size of the screens of TVs, phones, tablets and monitors.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Having everything divisible by 10 =/= logical. The other measurements are actually based on measures of the body and the natural world. That is, you can measure without a ruler in many cases. The month is first because when someone asks the date at they haven't been observing holidays lately, they want to know at the very least "Oh it's March ummm... let me check my calender... 15th" (BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH), they don't care about it being the 15th if they haven't kept track of the month. In order of importance, the month is most crucial (since knowing the date is no good if you are late or early by a month), then the date, then the year (since you are unlikely to need the year except when writing checks).

Don't kid yourself, the metric system has nothing to do with logic, and everything to do with French Revolution meddling. They also wanted to change the name of the months, but that one couldn't be justified long term. Yes the numbers are arbitrary. Life is arbitrary. Get used to it.

6 Reasons the Imperial System is better than the Metric System

RealClearScience - Why the Metric System Doesn't Measure Up

The imperial system is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6 making it better for surveying and actual measurement. The imperial temperature system is far more accurate and allows more range of temperature. Because you know, it does actually matter to an airline whether the plane's wing's are partially frozen, completely frozen, etc.

So, let's talk about the imperial versus metric, with regard to temperature.

You go into a hot theatre in Europe, that they're like "Man, it's 35C in here! Really hot!" Hold up, that temperature is just past 1/3 of the water boiling point in C. So why is it about 95F in the maximum is 212 in F? That means you are leaving out a few fine gradations of temperature there. -20C is actually really -4F. Essentially, you're projecting it way worse than it should be to make a fixed point.

My one and only beef with Fahrenheit is that his scale is that it starts at 32, making the maximum temperature higher than it should be. It's because it's based on salt water.

Ideally, -20C "twenty below" would be -36F (meaning you should not be outside). 0F would be typical water freeze temperature. 180F would be typical water boil temperature. The typical conversion of Celsius to Fahrenheit would then be a nice even easy to calculate 9:5 ratio, meaning that "really hot 35C" actually is a hot day of 63 (water temperature for pools always bugged me because the area felt really hot, but the water was supposedly 80, but felt cold to the touch until 95), while if the temperature is 100F you should be in some sort of shelter (132F old). In terms of conversion, in terms of temperature to human feel, in terms of general utility this seems like a better system. Please please please some scientists start using it, so we can drop this salt water nonsense.
Total BS, especially the month part and the 6 reasons.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:34 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,263,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I still don't understand why Europe uses inches for the size of the screens of TVs, phones, tablets and monitors.
Not Europe, UK..

Old 08-14-2015, 06:40 AM

I haven't seen it. Sizes are displayed in both inches and cm. People also use inches for the size of TVs when they talk. It's the same for car tires as well.

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...k%3Asamsung+tv

Last edited by Botev1912; 08-14-2015 at 06:54 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
... The other measurements are actually based on measures of the body and the natural world. ...
The argument that "imperial measurements are based on dimensions relevant to the human body" is not persuasive. When we have no means of reckoning other than our fingers and toes, yes indeed we'd have measurement-systems based on our bodies. But then, why aren't we still using cubits? The cubit is the distance from the middle fingertip (how appropriate!) to the elbow... developed independently by several ancient civilizations. But somehow it's been rendered obsolete. Why?

As for Fahrenheit being superior to Celcius because one degree of Fahrenheit is a smaller change in temperature (and is therefore more "precise")... are decimals of degrees somehow unusable or forbidden? What about 22.5 deg C, for example?

If I were designing a measurement-system from scratch, I'd base it off of Planck's constant and properties of the hydrogen atom... because, you know, now we can measure that sort of stuff, and these are fundamentals of the universe, rather than the size of some ancient guy's body-parts.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:03 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,454,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
What is he on about? Imperial measurements are illogical, as is your date system.

Your use of the word "Retarded" to describe something you don't like is offensive.

Please use a different term if you want people to take you seriously.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:06 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,454,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Interesting how people that favored going metric were called "communists". Sound familiar, hmmm?
No, it doesn't sound familiar. I lived through the Metric Scare of the 1970's and I don't recall "communist" as a particular term of disparagement. Maybe "hippie", "sandal-wearer", "French", but not "communist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather