Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 AM

83,549 posts, read 75,414,786 times

Advertisements

Bulkhead constructed and buried after Hurricane Sandy then Joaquin (hundreds of miles away) exposes it.

NJ

https://twitter.com/rousseau_ist/sta...17983367671812
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 AM

6,592 posts, read 4,987,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I really don't see why those people couldn't have left before the water got deep. Did it come tidal-wave style? Or were they sleeping, and woke up to that?
Quote:
Uh uh, if I see water coming up the street / driveway, etc - I'm getting my butt out of there. I know what's high and what's not, I'd be able to find my way out, trust me. It's not always a good idea to accept the "authorities" word as gospel - sometimes it's best to do the opposite of what they say. Just like in Florida, with all those evacuation zones - sometimes it's better to stay put, especially if you have pets that shelters won't accept (a big "pet" peeve of mine.) Back when I lived there and had pets, I'd stayed put even in a Cat 5 - why take the chance of being stranded on the highway with no protection at all?

I do what's best for me, myself and I - not what others think I should be doing...lol.

You just contradicted yourself.

"Uh uh, if I see water coming up the street / driveway, etc - I'm getting my butt out of there. ".

"with all those evacuation zones - sometimes it's better to stay put, especially if you have pets that shelters won't accept (a big "pet" peeve of mine.) Back when I lived there and had pets, I'd stayed put even in a Cat 5 - why take the chance of being stranded on the highway with no protection at all"

Apparently they did what they thought was best for them at the time, with the info they had. Tough call either way! I'm in a low-lying area so I know as long as I head away I'm likely to be ok. Maybe their terrain didn't allow for that.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Apparently they did what they thought was best for them at the time, with the info they had. Tough call either way! I'm in a low-lying area so I know as long as I head away I'm likely to be ok. Maybe their terrain didn't allow for that.
Exactly. Maybe the entire area was low lying. Also I don't think anyone would want to, or need to, or try to leave if their thought was only 2-4" of water was happening on their property... Sometimes it just keeps getting higher and higher then your trapped. Easy to "not understand" a decision but harder when you're actually involved in it.

I seriously dought we have the ability to say... "hey, you're property is forecasted to have 2 feet of raging waters around it"...

That's what historic means... NEVER HAPPENED. We don't really know end result possiblities.

And Just think if you did leave with just a backpack last week. and your home is gone when you get back or they (authorities) do not allow you back because of the situation and risk. Money also another thing to consider to stay elsewhere.

All I know is waterproof companies will be busy pumping the water out when it does recede.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:36 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,523,397 times
^^ Let's just say I'm awful glad to live on a hill.

I vividly remember ruling out whole streets of houses in my neighborhood because they were "too low" when I was house-shopping - these are the ones that got flooded out in '09.

There was some talk of FEMA buying out those flood-prone houses, but it never happened - I think they have to be virtually destroyed before they'd come in and declare the land unsuitable for houses.

I just read an article about how a developer wants to build a bunch of $450k houses along the Yellow River. Are they serious? Who in their right mind would want to buy a house along a river? For the sake of future (and uninformed) homeowners, I sure hope this proposal gets defeated by the county.

When buying real estate - two words to remember: high ground!

Old 10-05-2015, 12:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,726,561 times
Luckily Joaquin never came to shore, had it met up with the other storm together we're looking at double digit fatalities and massive outages and wider destruction up the East coast. The storm is not done yet, it maybe heading straight for UK.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:46 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
This is a slideshow, mostly from Columbia, of some of the damages..

Pictures: washed-out roads, rescues, flooded streets and homes | Local News - WYFF Home

This photo IS NOT REAL.. lol..

Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia. That's a photoshop.. It's not THAT bad.

Lots of washed out roads, bridges, etc.. Not necessarily a horrible thing, as Michelin has been complaining about the roads in SC for a while.. So.. This ought to shut them up.. They'll all be new.

Interstates were closed around columbia.. Myrtle Beach actually handled it well, but.. Hey.. They should be prepared for hurricanes, so.. this was comparable with a hurricane. There was localized flooding there, but nothing like what the midlands got.

I deal with a restaurant group down in Columbia, Lizard's Thicket.. Out of 15 restaurants, he had 7 open today, and they were only staying open until 2pm.. Couldn't serve ice.. Only Coffee and Tea as they were under a boil water advisory. 8 of the stores had no water whatsoever, so they were just closed.. I looked in on them last night remotely and 3 of them were down.. So, either internet or power was down at them.. All were back online as of 10am.

IT guy was the only one in the office today. I checked in with him and his response was that they had water everywhere except in the pipes.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
^^ Let's just say I'm awful glad to live on a hill.
100% Agree. I do too and would never flood. Or would I from a way the water finds flat ground somewhere and just keeps accumulating. My backyard is a river in a heavy downpour but it flows away from the house because I'm on a little hill. Insurance companies are hating this but Im sure they'll have to raise premiums on all those properties now.

Common scene around Myrtle Beach right now. It's not like those who didn't flood have access to all roads. Its a mess. Schools are closed, businesses. People trapped in their homes.

https://twitter.com/jamiearnoldWMBF/...574656/photo/1

Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Wow.

https://twitter.com/NWSColumbia/stat...54308335931393

Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Summerville, SC

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/s...014016/photo/1

Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 PM

Nice graphic of why it happened

https://twitter.com/NDilbeck_Wx/stat...79724400279552
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather