Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 01:13 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,148,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Very ugly pictures on these tweets. Are they using a phone camera from 2006?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 02:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,847,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Cool! Is that Hail or Sleet? Cant tell. If sleet that's more interesting and it does look like it. Sounds like the rain cooled part of the column to refreeze into pellets. I'd like to see a sounding from there to see the temp in the layers above you.
Hail first, then turning to pure snow, and finally sleet as the top layer, lol.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:19 AM

83,571 posts, read 75,516,329 times
Weather has been amazingly dry and seasonably warm (60s,70s) past 2 weeks. Only 1/4" of rain. Still too early to put anything out there EVEN IF there is no frost threat. Plants don't like 40s!

April 23, 2016

About 60 Tomatoes. All looking very healthy and strong. I have not fed them. The Potting soil in the transfer to the cups has enough food they need as a seedling.

By the time they deplete those nutrients it will be time to go into the Earth.

Florescent lights on 12hrs a day and a fan on them 10-20 minutes a day.

Close up.

Hot Peppers looking good too

More Hot Peppers

More Hot Peppers. Notice how much better looking the ones in the cups are. They were started 2 weeks later then these. I will put these in cups today.

Collards and Bell Peppers.

Cauliflower, Eggplant and Bell peppers. The Eggplant has been my challenge for years. Looks great now but for some reason hates the soil outside.

I will grab a couple outside pics today.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:42 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,445,960 times
Here the view is decisively spring-like instead. Practically all the trees had some trees on already a couple of weeks ago, and now even the area of the broad-leaved trees on the mountains (so till an altitude of more or less 1500 m) is turning to light green.

Those are some photos I took yesterday in Turin. It was cloudy, according to the forecasts it should have rained but it didn't, and the temperature was just below 20°C. I was in there with my sister for doing a walk under the arcades, but I also managed to take a couple of photos in a little city park and a photo of the sky.

As you can see Turin is already really green.

^It looks like they are planning to start a little vegetable garden in that park. There were plants of mint, strawberries, rosemary and other aromatic plants.

^that's a really strange stuff. In practice yesterday was the "book day", so in the city there were a lot of activity intended for making the people read more. In this case they put some boxes hanging up from the trees, each one with a book inside. Everyone could take the books for reading them. When I arrived practically all the boxes were already empty...

^ this is the sky over "Via Garibaldi", in the very center of Turin.

These instead are a couple of photos I took some minutes ago from my house. Today the weather is completely different from yesterday, it is windy and colder (last temperature recorded 13.7°C, now it is 12:30)

In both photos a lot of green spots are present, even at altitudes of 1000-1500 m.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 AM

29,569 posts, read 19,673,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Very ugly pictures on these tweets. Are they using a phone camera from 2006?
Webcam from another building.

Yesterday's sunset using a professional camera

https://twitter.com/barrybutler9/sta...00252652269568

Old 04-24-2016, 10:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times
Friday morning:

bike ride yesterday. Morning started out warm (high 50s), since the day before was in the high 70s with high humidity. Clouds from the rain yesterday hadn't cleared

Leaves just coming in, but the hills in the background look more bare than leafed.

A bit ahead of Spring 2014. This was May 4:

Spoiler

Waterfall!

downstream

grass is green at least

Spoiler

old mill building turned into coffee shop and bookstore

Don't see much logging around here, thought it was mostly limited to more remote areas of Vermont and New Hampshire. Not quite a clear-cut

Canal has a nice bike path. Unfortunately, more than half of it is closed for power line reconstruction. Went a longer route so I could ride all of it. Oh well...

Spoiler

Turner Falls. Basic Necessities

Used to be an A/V store, but the owner switched because there's not much business left in A/V. Street trees are green and skies cleared. North wind much of the day

Old mill town has some rowhouses

and factories. They look like they're still used for something

Even windier at the hilltop (about 1350 feet). Dewpoints had really dropped, felt chilly in the shade at times

Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Friday morning:
Even windier at the hilltop (about 1350 feet). Dewpoints had really dropped, felt chilly in the shade at times

Nice ride. I need to get me a bike. How far was this spot from where you live? Judging by the powerlines looks like it's an isolated location? Or maybe just a spot off the main road.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:34 AM

April 24, 2016

New Rochelle, NY (Google Map). Amazing difference.

A neighbors house down there. Not sure what that is. I think was a type of Birch tree? Pretty. So spring like just 25 minutes south of me!

Shade!

My mom loves plants. Gardenia. Smells amazing!

Palm?

Time to head back home. On the Merrit on the NY side in Rye Brook..

About to cross the border... See the sign? Welcome to Connecticut.

Yup, I'm back home. Welcome to CT. LMAO. This is literally 1 hour ago, not 1 month ago. lol

(Lots of Oaks & Hickorys around)

Last edited by Cambium; 04-24-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 11:12 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,356,293 times
Nice. New Rochelle looks ever so slightly ahead of here, which makes sense considering it's right at the Bronx's doorstep. The trees look like a different species though.

And that's a Sago Palm (or a close relative), which isn't a palm, it's an ancient cycad. It looks like it's on the verge of flushing out a new set of leaves which normally occurs annually or biannually. I have a smaller one, but it's outdoors, so it's nowhere near flushing yet, needs some real warmth.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:17 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,220,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Here the view is decisively spring-like instead. Practically all the trees had some trees on already a couple of weeks ago, and now even the area of the broad-leaved trees on the mountains (so till an altitude of more or less 1500 m) is turning to light green.

Those are some photos I took yesterday in Turin. It was cloudy, according to the forecasts it should have rained but it didn't, and the temperature was just below 20°C. I was in there with my sister for doing a walk under the arcades, but I also managed to take a couple of photos in a little city park and a photo of the sky.

As you can see Turin is already really green.

^It looks like they are planning to start a little vegetable garden in that park. There were plants of mint, strawberries, rosemary and other aromatic plants.

^that's a really strange stuff. In practice yesterday was the "book day", so in the city there were a lot of activity intended for making the people read more. In this case they put some boxes hanging up from the trees, each one with a book inside. Everyone could take the books for reading them. When I arrived practically all the boxes were already empty...

^ this is the sky over "Via Garibaldi", in the very center of Turin.

These instead are a couple of photos I took some minutes ago from my house. Today the weather is completely different from yesterday, it is windy and colder (last temperature recorded 13.7°C, now it is 12:30)

In both photos a lot of green spots are present, even at altitudes of 1000-1500 m.
What kind of hot peppers do you grow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather