Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 08:24 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,465,655 times

Advertisements

I don't remember what was the latest for any of them to start. I think there are always at least buds by April 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Our days are almost 13 hours long right now which is more than NYC, Miami, Las Vegas, LA.
Daylight differences are rather small in March. NYC is at 12hr45min not much of a difference. One week and a half ago at the equinox everywhere had exactly the same daylight. Before Seattle had less than anywhere further south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
My point still stands though. Plants respond much more to temperatures than daylight. Things bloom a lot later in Michigan than Georgia despite Michigan having longer daylight hours in spring.
Here's March in my location, NYC and Seattle. Easy to see why Seattle has the most leaves and flowers out — not a single freeze, consistently mild. NYC has gotten no deep freezes since the first week of March, but has had some cold weather mid-month. Obvious why there's no leaves here.

Spoiler

Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 PM

83,559 posts, read 75,454,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Obviously, not everyone has a fast internet connection. Dexter's photos were slow for me because of resizing. Anytime someone posts 20 oversized photos it's not just the connection, they have to be resized to fit the screen. There's no point in big photos, we can't see the extra pixels anyway.

Botev's photos were close to 1500 anyway.
Right. Recents ones were ok. The previous ones from Vegas were to big and like over 10 of them i think? I think was 2000x1500? Not as bad as what some used to post, but when theres a lot of them it matters. Lol

Didnt have a problem with PC but some of us arent always in front of one. Like now. Plus like you said, no point for it.

Btw... I did comment on those Vegas ones but then had to run. Just realized I never posted it.

I stayed in the Monte Carlo in Vegas when I went. White building. I dont think they were in any of the pics though

Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,142,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Im on my phone. Its ridiculous to have those sizes. Nobody is printing them out or using a big screen tv to view this thread. But its a conversation we all had already in the past and we agreed that a good size is less than 1500x1200. I tried loading this thread the other day with my phone and it froze. Was frustrating. Luckily its a new page now. Lol
OK what is the accepted resolution. City-Data makes it a pain to upload photos. I have never had any problems with photos on this forum no matter the size. And I have opened them on my phone too. But I am going to decrease them even more than that in the future.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,142,974 times
Quote:
Easy to see why Seattle has the most leaves and flowers out — not a single freeze, consistently mild.
To be even more accurate, we haven't had a freeze since January 9 when the temperature dropped to 30 (-1c)

Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,712,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
To be even more accurate, we haven't had a freeze since January 9 when the temperature dropped to 30 (-1c)
That's quite amazing for a city at that latitude. I would say it was just about impossible to have no frost after July 9 for here. Even the mildest winters still have frosty spells in every month.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

And speaking of bike rides from the other chat thread, here's photos from the ride I did today. South wind hit 25 mph, gusting up to 33 mph. Went north, so had a tailwind, cut a lot of the south journey using a bus. Was a bit more cloudy than sunny, bland cloudy sky. Some sun peeked out. Temperatures high 60s, briefly may have gotten up to 71°F. Definitely felt warm especially up any hills.

This valley tends to pool cold air, got a hint of cold air in one spot with ice on the side. None on this one. Wind must mixed everything thoroughly. Surprised to see ice surviving with the warm March

close-up. water dripping from above. Ice chunk must have fell from above

Spoiler

streams were running higher than last summer and fall which was on the dry side

Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That's quite amazing for a city at that latitude. I would say it was just about impossible to have no frost after July 9 for here. Even the mildest winters still have frosty spells in every month.
I'd expect some spots in southern England have been similarly nearly freeze-free some years.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,712,093 times
Quote:
I'd expect some spots in southern England have been similarly nearly freeze-free some years.
Maybe the Scilly Isles and some coastal spots, but places as far inland as Seattle would likely get some frost I would think.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,947,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

If only we had a fifth of those beaches down here. There's no use for such large beaches on the frigid North Sea shores.

That sand looks like the beaches here in New Jersey. This is a video from a NJ state park beach which I love visiting during the week when hardly anyone is there. This video is from August 2014, and you can see how few people there are there.

TBH, the beach in Spain I went to in Sitges and Barcelona left a lot to be desired when it came to the actual sand. I just didn't think the sand was very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F366wyRvPtM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather