Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 AM

892 posts, read 859,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
False, Miami's January average high is 24C. My bedroom temp is 72F (22C)
According to Wikipedia it's 25C, but this year was cooler due to the el-nino. So 24 C for this January is probably right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Sleeping is very easy, I even get chilly at night so I sleep with a duvet. My indoor temperature is about 27 C (80 F).
Wow! OuO 27 °C! That's 2 degrees higher than a quite strongly heated house. Then of course you find 20 °C cold! That would be like if I had 13 °C in my house, bbbbbb... >_<

So, so far the ideal temperature to eat something sitting outside is between 20 °C and 30 °C, which is fine, even though I don't like the upper half. I can even do that at 15 °C, if it's sunny and windless.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 AM

892 posts, read 859,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Wow! OuO 27 °C! That's 2 degrees higher than a quite strongly heated house. Then of course you find 20 °C cold! That would be like if I had 13 °C in my house, bbbbbb... >_<

So, so far the ideal temperature to eat something sitting outside is between 20 °C and 30 °C, which is fine, even though I don't like the upper half. I can even do that at 15 °C, if it's sunny and windless.
Today it's probably 26 because of all the clouds outside, basically I have my AC set to turn on at that temperature.

And as I type you this it's a bit chilly with all the wind coming into my place (I live in a high rise condominium) from my open balcony and the storm/frontal clouds.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:
According to Wikipedia it's 25C, but this year was cooler due to the el-nino. So 24 C for this January is probably right.
This January the average high was 23.4C at the airport, 22.8C in Miami Beach, and 22.2C where I live.

It's currently about 24C

Old 03-30-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Today it's probably 26 because of all the clouds outside, basically I have my AC set to turn on at that temperature.

And as I type you this it's a bit chilly with all the wind coming into my place (I live in a high rise condominium) from my open balcony and the storm/frontal clouds.
It's a bit chilly, yes.

Spoiler
For a tropical climate

I don't know what the opinion of someone who always lived in, say, double the latitude of Tropic of Cancer (like Bourges, France) would be. Or someone who always lived in a place with double the latitude of Miami (like Eindhoven, Netherlands), I think that person would find 20 °C a normal temperature.

So, it's really nice to hear different opinions. Not everyone thinks in the same way.
Of course, we're all humans, so we've got limits (we can't survive in temperatures, like, -150 °C or +150 °C without space suits LOL).

Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
False, Miami's January average high is 24C. My bedroom temp is 72F (22C)

You are slightly off. The latest NOAA 30 year climate avg has Miami avg high (airport data) 76.4/59.9F.

And the running 30 year running avg is 76.6/61F.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:32 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You are slightly off. The latest NOAA 30 year climate avg has Miami avg high (airport data) 76.4/59.9F.

And the running 30 year running avg is 76.6/61F.
For some reason I thought it was 75.9F, 76.4F=24.6C which I guess is closer to 25C. On the other hand that means that Miami Beach's January average high is a full 3F closer than that of MIA

Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
68-74F is ideal for me.

Last summer I had lunch at an outdoor restaurant in Florida, when it was 91F with a dewpoint of 75F. That was a bit sweaty...

Old 03-30-2016, 10:12 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
Quote:
If you noticed, wikipedia explained that it is not a real Italian expression (in particular not the spelling "alfresco", just terrible...). It seems more like an Italo-american expression.

From the page you posted:

Quote:
The phrase al fresco is borrowed from Italian for "in the cool [air]", but is not used in that language to refer to dining outside. Instead, Italians use the phrases fuori or all'aperto.[3] In Italian, the expression al fresco usually refers to spending time in jail.

Anyway, returning to the topic, it depends.
For example in this period of the year I like to have lunch outdoor under the sun (direct or half-shade) with temperatures of more or less 17-22°C.

If it is warmer I prefer to remain under an umbrella or something like that. Of course this is referred to lunch, the "sun problem" doesn't apply to dinner because we have dinner after sunset even during the summer (I have dinner more or less at 7-8 PM).
Talking about summer, usually I have dinner outdoor with 25-27°C and some breeze (if you are along the sea it can be also a little bit warmer and it still fells pleasant). It can seem too warm, but compared to the high temps that we have at noon it is already a relief, in particular if you already have 27-28°C in your bedroom. Of course the first thing we want to order is an ice cream - gelato
During the summer instead it is not so pleasant to have lunch outdoor, at least if you are not along the seaside under an umbrella or above 1500 m on the mountains

Old 03-30-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
If you noticed, wikipedia explained that it is not a real Italian expression (in particular not the spelling "alfresco", just terrible...). It seems more like an Italo-american expression.

From the page you posted:

Anyway, returning to the topic, it depends.
For example in this period of the year I like to have lunch outdoor under the sun (direct or half-shade) with temperatures of more or less 17-22°C.

If it is warmer I prefer to remain under an umbrella or something like that. Of course this is referred to lunch, the "sun problem" doesn't apply to dinner because we have dinner after sunset even during the summer (I have dinner more or less at 7-8 PM).
Talking about summer, usually I have dinner outdoor with 25-27°C and some breeze (if you are along the sea it can be also a little bit warmer and it still fells pleasant). It can seem too warm, but compared to the high temps that we have at noon it is already a relief, in particular if you already have 27-28°C in your bedroom. Of course the first thing we want to order is an ice cream - gelato
During the summer instead it is not so pleasant to have lunch outdoor, at least if you are not along the seaside under an umbrella or above 1500 m on the mountains
I have dinner at 7:30 P.M.

25-27 °C is on the upper edge of "warm-hot", I usually tend to stay inside where it's cooler. I can't stay for more than two hours outside at 27 °C.

In my bedroom the temperature doesn't go above 23 °C, so it's my "haven".

I don't eat ice cream at 27 °C, it will melt too fast, without being able to eat it.
Usually, the upper limit for eating ice cream is 20 °C, anything higher and it will melt too quickly.
I usually eat warm soups when it's hot.

1500 meters is a good altitude, a place with 30 °C as an average high at sea level will usually have 20 °C as an average high at 1500 meters. The problem is finding a city above 10,000 inhabitants at 1500 meters.

Isn't 28 °C in a bedroom unhealthy? I think you can get ill with those temperatures in the long run.
Don't you have A/C?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather