Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
London's summers ARE CLOUDY AND COOL, and Turku's ARE TOO. Sure they are summers compared to the winters, but for example last year when 4 of the 6 high sun months were below average here it was cool. Actually May-July was the coolest since 1961.
I'll concede that they're cloudy but what is cool and what is not is entirely dependent on what you are used to. This is common sense. I'll hear nothing of the contrary. People who say 'x location has no summer' are idiots.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'll concede that they're cloudy but what is cool and what is not is entirely dependent on what you are used to. This is common sense. I'll hear nothing of the contrary.
Cool in that context would mean slightly cold, so isn't a good choice of word, as I wouldn't call a summer warmer than mine, slightly cold.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:10 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,610,114 times
Quote:
I'll concede that they're cloudy but what is cool and what is not is entirely dependent on what you are used to. This is common sense. I'll hear nothing of the contrary. People who say 'x location has no summer' are idiots.
Wouldn't what is considered cloudy also be dependent on what you are used to as well? If 1600 hours of sun is normal for your location and then one year you get 2000 hours that would be considered a sunny year right? Though 2000 hours would be very dull elsewhere. In other words, it's all relative, but we compare climates to what we know and are accustomed to.

We had a very mild winter here by our standards. B87 would laugh at me for using the word "mild" to describe any Chicago winter, just like I would never consider summer in London hot (or someone from Phoenix would consider a Chicago summer hot).

Old 05-06-2016, 01:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times
First day with above 30c today in France, ore previsely near Bordeaux

Old 05-06-2016, 02:05 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,020 times
Quote:
As you said yourself, it is entirely dependent on what you're used to. Making definitive statements like 'London IS cloudy and IS cool' is complete crap and you know it. I could say 'Chicago summers ARE hot and VERY sunny' but I have no doubt chicagogeorge would disagree strongly with that, even though to me they absolutely are.

We all know you hate the summers in England Dean - so why you continue to live here I will never know.
London is cool and cloudy in summer though. It doesn't matter whether you're used to it or not, it just is. If summer weather was acceptable in England, you wouldn't get millions of us going abroad each year to get some sun and heat.

Weather alone wouldn't force me to leave, but it would be a factor. Having a young family and a good job are the main reasons I'm still here, but when they're older I'll then look at moving. Perhaps I'll join my sister in Brisbane.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:08 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,360,645 times
It's all a matter of opinion and preference anyways, if someone feels London is cool and cloudy then who cares? No need to take it personal, it's just their preference. Maybe it's too cool and cloudy for THEM. Hell - there might be people like Everblack who think London is too hot in the summer.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It's all a matter of opinion and preference anyways, if someone feels London is cool and cloudy then who cares? No need to take it personal, it's just their preference. Maybe it's too cool and cloudy for THEM. Hell - there might be people like Everblack who think London is too hot in the summer.
Cool belongs on the cold spectrum, so if someone says it's cool, then they're saying it's cold.

I come from a climate with colder summers than London, but I haven't noticed visitors from overseas showing signs of being cold during summer.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
People who say 'x location has no summer' are idiots.
This is one of the most hilarious and stupid claims here on C-D. It's Irene material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Wouldn't what is considered cloudy also be dependent on what you are used to as well? If 1600 hours of sun is normal for your location and then one year you get 2000 hours that would be considered a sunny year right? Though 2000 hours would be very dull elsewhere. In other words, it's all relative, but we compare climates to what we know and are accustomed to.
In 2014 flaming and I were the only European posters who clocked over 2000 hours of sunshine. That number is not "cloudy", especially when coming from an US poster whose Met Agency doesn't even collect sunshine anymore. And when it did, it used some 12th century censors who are comparable with the Icelandic Sagas. Might be true or might be not.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:43 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,360,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Cool belongs on the cold spectrum, so if someone says it's cool, then they're saying it's cold.

I come from a climate with colder summers than London, but I haven't noticed visitors from overseas showing signs of being cold during summer.
You can't argue what someone feels though. Your sun is stronger than London's so that may negate the "colder" feeling.

I don't agree that London has cool summers either, but I can see why someone coming from Philly or St. Louis would feel cool in London in summer. If you're used to 30-35 C temperatures during the day, then a 23-24 C high WILL feel cool.

And I find it silly that it seems some people on here take this kind of **** personally. It's just someone's preference. If someone finds London too cool in the summer, who cares?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:54 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
And I find it silly that it seems some people on here take this kind of **** personally. It's just someone's preference. If someone finds London too cool in the summer, who cares?
London is the end all of climates. How dare you prefer something that doesn't happen there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.