Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Critiques
Too hot year round 14 26.42%
Too cold year round 1 1.89%
Too hot in summer 25 47.17%
Not hot enough in summer 0 0%
Too humid in summer 19 35.85%
Too cold in winter 12 22.64%
Not cold enough in winter 16 30.19%
Too much variability in winter 10 18.87%
Too many thunderstorms 4 7.55%
Not enough thunderstorms 0 0%
Too snowy 5 9.43%
Not snowy enough 12 22.64%
Too wet overall 4 7.55%
Too dry overall 0 0%
Too much summer rain 6 11.32%
Too little summer rain 1 1.89%
Too much winter rain 5 9.43%
Too little winter rain 0 0%
Possibility of tropical storms 9 16.98%
Possibility of tornadoes 8 15.09%
Possibility of ice storms 10 18.87%
Too sunny 7 13.21%
Not sunny enough 2 3.77%
No complaints 5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

One of the better East Coast climates but still too many problems

a) Record lows are far too cold in the winter

b) Record highs are too hot year round - who the hell wants 95f weather in the middle of ****ing October

c) Winters are a bit too cool, I prefer winters with average highs in the teens

d) Somehow it still snows in March and April despite the fact that the city only average 6.1 inches a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 11:34 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Too snowy, that's a first. I don't know what your ideal climate is but I'm assuming it's a desert type climate since you said raleigh is not sunny enough.
I don't think it's too snowy, it's just the distribution that's bad. I don't want any snow during spring, and it's kinda depressing that they still get snow in April. Why don't we take all the snow in March and April, and put it in December and January? Lol

Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't think it's too snowy, it's just the distribution that's bad. I don't want any snow during spring, and it's kinda depressing that they still get snow in April. Why don't we take all the snow in March and April, and put it in December and January? Lol
March doesn't get more than trace most years, the average for March is skewed by big snow years like 93. April doesnt see snow, and if it does a trace amount, and not even that most years. Measurable April snow would be once in a lifetime thing.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:51 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times
Quote:

b) Record highs are too hot year round - who the hell wants 95f weather in the middle of ****ing October

d) Somehow it still snows in March and April despite the fact that the city only average 6.1 inches a year
The latest 95 degree day on record is October 6.
In the long term, snow in March occurs once every 3 years and in April every 30 years, and spring snow has become less common lately. So you don't have to worry too much about that.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:51 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly, zone 8a, lots of trees, especially oaks and lob lolly pines. I do agree though if we where closers to the coast raleigh would be my number 1 climate. We are still close though with Wrightsville beach by Wilmington less than 2 hours away and by mileage I calculated the closest beach from down town raleigh to be topsail beach at only 117 miles away. So the ocean is not too far . Although I live further east than raleigh and North topsail beach is closer to my house at only 100 miles.
I think it took us about an 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to wilmington from my friends house in downtown raleigh, i-40 is so fast. raleigh has a cool spring, warm summer and mild winter , very good for gardening, raulston arboretum has some really cool hardy citrus and exotics that can grow there

you dont see stuff like spanish moss and alot of palms in raleigh but I think north carolina is the northernmost area where palms are native. you do see a ton of kudzu. I doubt people would want to plant too many palms in the triangle though sabals and many varieties should do great with the temps, alot of tree lovers think palms are cheesy outside certain tropical beach type areas or deserts etc, maybe around some posh shopping center or luxury car dealership or pool. lots of oaks around there

Old 06-25-2016, 11:59 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Winters are far too cold (with ridiculously cold record lows), too snowy (I'd rather have none at all), too much summer rainfall & too much rainfall year round...

Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I think it took us about an 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to wilmington from my friends house in downtown raleigh, i-40 is so fast. raleigh has a cool spring, warm summer and mild winter , very good for gardening, raulston arboretum has some really cool hardy citrus and exotics that can grow there

you dont see stuff like spanish moss and alot of palms in raleigh but I think north carolina is the northernmost area where palms are native. you do see a ton of kudzu. I doubt people would want to plant too many palms in the triangle though sabals and many varieties should do great with the temps, alot of tree lovers think palms are cheesy outside certain tropical beach type area, maybe around some posh shopping center or luxury car dealership or pool. lots of oaks around there
About the palms, it's actually the opposite. Windmills palms are planted in front of a lot of businesses, public and private pools, houses, and even one in front of my school.checkout Pullen park in Raleigh next time you are around, oak trees, bamboo, lots of Windmills palms, some over 30 feet tall. Windmills are definitely part of the landscape and gaining even more popularity. We have lots of gardenias also, visit in the summer you will see all the beautiful white flowers, and the smell is absolutely amazing. As for sabal palmetto it is planted even in central nc. Dmv near my house has 3 (dead now though ), martial arts place in Knightdale has 2 large ones, all alive and unprotected, seen a house in North raleigh with 8 large ones, they are definitely here, but yeah not as common as windmills. Palms on the east coast are gaining popularity even in inland areas.

As for citrus, there are people even in Winston Salem growing citrumelos I believe they are called. Perfectly hardy in North carolina, hybrid of trifoliate orange and grapefruit, tastes and looks like a lemon from what I read. Raleigh due to it being a zone 8a climate, can't grow as much wonderful subtropicals as the coast, the med., and california. But we definitely can grow a lot still.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:

You wouldn't like Phoenix then, our October record high is 107 and our November record high is 95

Old 06-25-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Winters are far too cold (with ridiculously cold record lows), too snowy (I'd rather have none at all), too much summer rainfall & too much rainfall year round...
Lol! Why do you not like rain fall. Rain is the key to life! Also why do you always end your comments with...

Old 06-25-2016, 12:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Lol! Why do you not like rain fall. Rain is the key to life! Also why do you always end your comments with...
Galah prefers rain to be in winter like myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather