Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Critiques
Too hot year round 14 26.42%
Too cold year round 1 1.89%
Too hot in summer 25 47.17%
Not hot enough in summer 0 0%
Too humid in summer 19 35.85%
Too cold in winter 12 22.64%
Not cold enough in winter 16 30.19%
Too much variability in winter 10 18.87%
Too many thunderstorms 4 7.55%
Not enough thunderstorms 0 0%
Too snowy 5 9.43%
Not snowy enough 12 22.64%
Too wet overall 4 7.55%
Too dry overall 0 0%
Too much summer rain 6 11.32%
Too little summer rain 1 1.89%
Too much winter rain 5 9.43%
Too little winter rain 0 0%
Possibility of tropical storms 9 16.98%
Possibility of tornadoes 8 15.09%
Possibility of ice storms 10 18.87%
Too sunny 7 13.21%
Not sunny enough 2 3.77%
No complaints 5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:09 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You wouldn't like Phoenix then, our October record high is 107 and our November record high is 95
Oh yeah, that's a bit too much. I think Phoenix climate is just okay, Los Angeles and inland Oregon is better for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 12:11 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Lol! Why do you not like rain fall. Rain is the key to life! Also why do you always end your comments with...
Did I say I didn't like rainfall? I said there was too much rainfall & too much in the summer...

I do ... because I want to & I can

Old 06-25-2016, 12:32 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times
No major complaints as Raleigh is among my favorite climates. I would maybe prefer a little more rainfall.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:50 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
Quote:
About the palms, it's actually the opposite. Windmills palms are planted in front of a lot of businesses, public and private pools, houses, and even one in front of my school.checkout Pullen park in Raleigh next time you are around, oak trees, bamboo, lots of Windmills palms, some over 30 feet tall. Windmills are definitely part of the landscape and gaining even more popularity. We have lots of gardenias also, visit in the summer you will see all the beautiful white flowers, and the smell is absolutely amazing. As for sabal palmetto it is planted even in central nc. Dmv near my house has 3 (dead now though ), martial arts place in Knightdale has 2 large ones, all alive and unprotected, seen a house in North raleigh with 8 large ones, they are definitely here, but yeah not as common as windmills. Palms on the east coast are gaining popularity even in inland areas.
They must be more popular in Wake County. I've seen only a handful of palm trees grown here, and only two of significant height, one of which is in Duke Gardens.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
They must be more popular in Wake County. I've seen only a handful of palm trees grown here, and only two of significant height, one of which is in Duke Gardens.
Well wake county has a larger population so of course lol. You been to pullen park before?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:54 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
Quote:
Well wake county has a larger population so of course lol. You been to pullen park before?
Not since maybe elementary school.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,682,713 times
"Too much variability in winter" is that the major complaint? LOL.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:01 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
"Too much variability in winter" is that the major complaint? LOL.
only good thing about that is 60 and 70 degree days in winter.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:04 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,776 times
Winters not cold enough
Not much snow
Winters too variable

Old 06-25-2016, 02:55 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
About the palms, it's actually the opposite. Windmills palms are planted in front of a lot of businesses, public and private pools, houses, and even one in front of my school.checkout Pullen park in Raleigh next time you are around, oak trees, bamboo, lots of Windmills palms, some over 30 feet tall. Windmills are definitely part of the landscape and gaining even more popularity. We have lots of gardenias also, visit in the summer you will see all the beautiful white flowers, and the smell is absolutely amazing. As for sabal palmetto it is planted even in central nc. Dmv near my house has 3 (dead now though ), martial arts place in Knightdale has 2 large ones, all alive and unprotected, seen a house in North raleigh with 8 large ones, they are definitely here, but yeah not as common as windmills. Palms on the east coast are gaining popularity even in inland areas.

As for citrus, there are people even in Winston Salem growing citrumelos I believe they are called. Perfectly hardy in North carolina, hybrid of trifoliate orange and grapefruit, tastes and looks like a lemon from what I read. Raleigh due to it being a zone 8a climate, can't grow as much wonderful subtropicals as the coast, the med., and california. But we definitely can grow a lot still.
glad to hear that about the palms, I know they are native to the carolinas. some pretty amazing stuff gardeners can grow in the middle of state with all that rainfall and mild winters, I really think north carolina is probably the furthest north I would classify as truly humid subtropical. huge differences in winter and snowfall averages just moving from north carolina to virginia, in sea temps as well further up north from the outer banks.

I am really impressed sometime driving through many places pretty far away from the coast and see beautiful palms inland , I have seen some fantastic palms and some hardy citrus really far inland from the south carolina and georgia coast. . this was from a guy on palmtalk who took a picture of a few decades old washingtonia . columbia is in the middle of the state and a good 2 hours from the coast , 7b/8a I believe, raleigh should have no problem growing some really nice varieties if people chose to plant them

look at the thread a few posts below, washingtonia grow like crazy in charleston . he grows citrus, rudy red grapefruits, satsumas, clementines, navels, variegated oranges, limes & lemons in charleston. some beautiful pictures of australian bloodlimes in that thread Washingtonia filibusta in West Columbia, SC - COLD HARDY PALMS - PalmTalk

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather