Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 09:04 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times

Advertisements

Apparently, Kebnekaise's 2100m is enough to, combined with the thin ozone of only 290DU, get UV indices above 5 despite the mere 41° sun angle. Long plateu as well at 68'N so the strong sun lasts long. Combined with the snow, indices of 10 are easily reachable. We climbed the mountain yesterday and the weather truly was rudely good. About 7-9'C at 2100m at 68'N, blue dome sky and very calm (sometimes even not the slightest breeze which is obscenely odd when you're higher than anything for hundreds of kilometers...). I actually climbed the mountain without a shirt which I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be able to at 2100m and 68'N... Did get a decent tan as well, and there are a lot of red people walking around the valley now...

Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Why in the world would anyone want thunderstorms? I hate them. I'd love to never experience one ever again.
Want to trade places? You get a similar climate but with maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th of the storms you currently receive.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:51 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Want to trade places? You get a similar climate but with maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th of the storms you currently receive.
Southern Jersey is a bit nicer than LI. The farther south you go in the Eastern US the less annoying seasonal lag you get. Philly is only slightly warmer than NYC in winter but by March and April it seems to warm up much quicker

Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,776 times
Just 1 more day until Friday!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM

1,363 posts, read 791,713 times
drank tonigh some wine, ended up pregneant , tomoroorw will be buying a bottle of bourbon cant wait

Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Southern Jersey is a bit nicer than LI. The farther south you go in the Eastern US the less annoying seasonal lag you get. Philly is only slightly warmer than NYC in winter but by March and April it seems to warm up much quicker
I agree, although some parts of western LI are more like NYC than LI as they're within NYC's UHI. Philly and NYC are neck and neck in the winter, I believe LGA is actually warmer than PHL by a fraction of a degree. It feels like NYC and Long Island take forever to get going in the spring. The main thing I miss about living in DC was the earlier warm ups, they came at the right time, everything here is on a 2-4 week delay.

But ideally, I'd be somewhere much farther south than either South Jersey or Washington, DC.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I agree, although some parts of western LI are more like NYC than LI as they're within NYC's UHI. Philly and NYC are neck and neck in the winter, I believe LGA is actually warmer than PHL by a fraction of a degree. It feels like NYC and Long Island take forever to get going in the spring. The main thing I miss about living in DC was the earlier warm ups, they came at the right time, everything here is on a 2-4 week delay.

But ideally, I'd be somewhere much farther south than either South Jersey or Washington, DC.
Yup, indeed it is very weird (and sucky) that while we have the exact same winter as Philly, for some whatever damned reason they get much quicker spring warmups than us. And Upstate NY is even worse, Binghamton generally lags 7F in terms of highs behind NYC during most of the year, but in spring that increases to 10F It really is ****ing annoying in March and April when NYC is hitting regular 60s while this frozen hellhole is struggling to get past 50F Worst. Climate. Ever.

Ideally the same lol, but sadly once you go south of Washington there is very little in the way of civilization except for an occasional oasis like Charleston SC or Atlanta. As much as I hate living in a freezing snow-drenched dumpster, living in a backwoods boonietown in the Deep South where the average annual income is $9000 is not particularly attractive either

Old 07-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yup, indeed it is very weird (and sucky) that while we have the exact same winter as Philly, for some whatever damned reason they get much quicker spring warmups than us. And Upstate NY is even worse, Binghamton generally lags 7F in terms of highs behind NYC during most of the year, but in spring that increases to 10F It really is ****ing annoying in March and April when NYC is hitting regular 60s while this frozen hellhole is struggling to get past 50F Worst. Climate. Ever.
It's the delayed spring warm ups that add insult to injury. It's bad enough winter sucks, but then it never wants to leave. In March/April you'll see Philly-DC basking in sunny 70's with flowers everywhere while we're socked in with raw/drizzly 50's. Our seasonal lag in the spring really detracts from what would otherwise be a slightly better than average climate in my opinion, instead it's kind of "meh".

Quote:
Ideally the same lol, but sadly once you go south of Washington there is very little in the way of civilization except for an occasional oasis like Charleston SC or Atlanta. As much as I hate living in a freezing snow-drenched dumpster, living in a backwoods boonietown in the Deep South where the average annual income is $9000 is not particularly attractive either
Pretty much. I couldn't live in the south unless I was in a major metro area like Atlanta. The general nuttiness, nothingness, backwardness, bible thumping, nonsensical laws, racism, etc. in most of the south keeps me away. All of these things are prevalent across this country, but they're generally worse in the south. I have a low tolerance for the BS, so I try to steer clear.

Florida's my dream climate, but I'm convinced their craziness is unrivaled. Literally every other day there's a wild "Florida man...." headline in the news. Lol, I'll pass.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
It's the delayed spring warm ups that add insult to injury. It's bad enough winter sucks, but then it never wants to leave. In March/April you'll see Philly-DC basking in sunny 70's with flowers everywhere while we're socked in with raw/drizzly 50's. Our seasonal lag in the spring really detracts from what would otherwise be a slightly better than average climate in my opinion, instead it's kind of "meh".
I agree, the delayed spring warmup is easily the worst part of Northeast US. I could handle a 3-month long winter, but once that 3 months start turning into 4, 5, that's where I start to lose my mind. I think if NYC from February to June had the same temperatures as it does from December to August, it would even bump the climate up to C+. But the weak March/April is just annoying

Quote:
Pretty much. I couldn't live in the south unless I was in a major metro area like Atlanta. The general nuttiness, nothingness, backwardness, bible thumping, nonsensical laws, racism, etc. in most of the south keeps me away. All of these things are prevalent across this country, but they're generally worse in the south. I have a low tolerance for the BS, so I try to steer clear.

Florida's my dream climate, but I'm convinced their craziness is unrivaled. Literally every other day there's a wild "Florida man...." headline in the news. Lol, I'll pass.
The South and the Midwest are both really bad for that. Can't imagine myself living in either one of them, outside of the major cities of course. I hate Florida's climate, but Florida seems like a solid way at least to escape the cold weather while at the same time living in an urban environment with an East Coast feel

Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
This is extremely unusual, but even for someone like me who loves hoagies and loves Wawa, I've actually never had a Wawa hoagie. Yeah, I guess I always went for other places that sell hoagies/subs. Well, that's about to change. Since it's hoagiefest (discounted price for hoagies) at Wawa, I've got a Wawa Italian hoagie. So, far it LOOKS pretty good,.... and tastes good too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather