Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 11:25 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I'm not a parenting expert by any means, but I find it a bit sad and ridiculous that my five year old niece has an Ipad I rarely see her playing outside also. At the risk of sounding like an old man, it really does seem technology is taking over the world. I don't really even see little kids playing outside or playing sports outside in my neighborhood. Matter of fact, most of the people I see playing basketball at the courts or baseball at the fields are people around my age.
It must be due to where you live. Lots of school-age children here and they all play outside. Got to be extra careful driving on residential streets.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
I did. Like I said though, burglaries/property crimes in general are bad all over South FL. Thugs go to "good" neighborhoods more often than not - there's more to steal from rich people.

Also, my mom has been living in this neighborhood since June 2013 and that's the first burglary I've witnessed or heard of here. The rash of car break-ins however, has been a recent phenomenon...like the last couple of months.

I still don't really feel unsafe here though.
Property crime in Leeds used to be pretty bad too. Not so much these days though. Some of the richer areas were targeted, but it was mostly students who were victims because they leave their doors unlocked a lot.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:46 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Leeds doesn't have wealthy areas akin to what you would get in Florida. Rich communities in Florida are usually gated with round the clock policing.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Very safe here too. The only bigger problem is bike theft, which have been rampant for the past years. Violent crime is mostly concentrated on weekends in the central areas where the nightclubs are. Even there only a fraction of cases are of the 'wrong place at the wrong time' type, but mostly drunk people getting into arguments with each other and then fists start to fly. If you're not completely wasted and keep your mouth shut, you'll be perfectly fine.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Leeds doesn't have wealthy areas akin to what you would get in Florida. Rich communities in Florida are usually gated with round the clock policing.
Rich areas in the UK don't need gates or police officers round the clock. We don't have ghettos.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Don't think Alex's family lives in a gated community; so it's not relevant to the comparison.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Don't think Alex's family lives in a gated community; so it's not relevant to the comparison.
Key Biscayne's not a gated community either. Owen is confusing the Miami area with the palm beach area (where many wealthy people live in gated "private" golf course communities, although this is more to perpetrate an elite atmosphere than it is for safety) in Miami even the very rich, like my friend's dad who's a movie director, live in unprivatized areas, and often not far from poorer neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
I'm not a parenting expert by any means, but I find it a bit sad and ridiculous that my five year old niece has an Ipad I rarely see her playing outside also. At the risk of sounding like an old man, it really does seem technology is taking over the world. I don't really even see little kids playing outside or playing sports outside in my neighborhood. Matter of fact, most of the people I see playing basketball at the courts or baseball at the fields are people around my age.
5 years old does seem a bit young for an iPad, although there are a lot of games and educational apps that are geared towards the small child demographic, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. My 4 year old (at the time) sister used my old iPod for games and music, like a modern day gameboy or PSP. I think everyone could benefit from spending time outdoors though, especially children.

As tech-obsessed as I used to be, it feels good to withdraw from technology whenever possible.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:14 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
The government in Cusco clearly thinks that all foreigners are millionaires considering the insane prices they charge to see just about anything ****ing bull****, also the street pendlers who call out to you in English while completely ignoring the rest of your Peruvian friend group Cuzco is a beautiful place especially at night but it's a place where you everyone will treat you like an ATM machine if you look white, this never happens in Lima. The best part I guess is that Cuzco pulls in all the gringos and the tourists so that you can still enjoy Lima before it turns into a trap

Old 12-21-2016, 09:22 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It must be due to where you live. Lots of school-age children here and they all play outside. Got to be extra careful driving on residential streets.
Could be. This area seems to be full of sheltered people, maybe they shelter their kids more here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Property crime in Leeds used to be pretty bad too. Not so much these days though. Some of the richer areas were targeted, but it was mostly students who were victims because they leave their doors unlocked a lot.
I used to be one of those that left my car unlocked out of laziness mostly since I didn't have the "control" for my car where I can lock it from far away or as I'm walking away. Learned my lesson when I came in my car one day with the passenger side wide open and the glove compartment yanked open with all of my stuff that was inside the glove compartment on the passenger seat (luckily, I don't keep anything of value in my car lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Very safe here too. The only bigger problem is bike theft, which have been rampant for the past years. Violent crime is mostly concentrated on weekends in the central areas where the nightclubs are. Even there only a fraction of cases are of the 'wrong place at the wrong time' type, but mostly drunk people getting into arguments with each other and then fists start to fly. If you're not completely wasted and keep your mouth shut, you'll be perfectly fine.
Violent crime here seems to be like 95% gang-related. It's not common at all to have random shootings, most common is that an innocent bystander will get hit when the perp misses their "target", always really unfortunate when that happens.

Muggings and robberies are very common though, have to be weary walking at night here especially in any back allies or secluded spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nope, definitely not gated here lol. There's a main street literally in my backyard and the neighborhood is wide open - a prospective burglar, car thief or robber could easily get out really fast here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather