Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

No matter how you want to look at it, Eastern Canada is a geography and climate fail IMO.

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It's simple regarding why Eastern Canada is cold. Even with the Laurentian mountains, the Labrador Current aids in keeping it a cold climate. Hudson Bay while a fairly large body of water, it's very shallow which makes it easier to freeze over. Once it freezes over, the moderation is minimal, especially in spring when the ice extent is at its max.
Yes, in addition to the winds that come from the NW and Hudson Bay, there is a dominant cold wind in the wintertime that blows down the St. Lawrence from the northeast. It is known as Le Nordet (a contraction of nord-est).

We also get systems and winds from the Gulf of Mexico that move up the east-central U.S. towards the Great Lakes in the winter, and then into Quebec and out the Gulf of St. Lawrence. This usually starts off warm but meets up with cold air coming down from Hudson Bay that usually brings the temperature down enough to produce snow or freezing rain. Sometimes just cold rain.

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Haven't been but have flown over it a few times... looks like a barren wasteland to be honest.
I like how their version of a maritime-influenced climate has a -14/-23.1 January average! That's wild. That split between the Gulf Stream and the Icelandic Low is something else.

Also how on earth did Nain get a 15.7C reading in January and a 33.3C reading in June?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
alex985? Moving to Nain in a heartbeat.
Lol nah, I wouldn't want snow in June (maybe every 50 years or so for the sake of variance). I like warm/hot summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
No matter how you want to look at it, Eastern Canada is a geography and climate fail IMO.
Ah come on. Don't bring that retarded terminology here again. Just because you don't like a climate, doesn't mean it's a climate "fail". It's literally impossible for something to be a fail geographically or climate-wise. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, in addition to the winds that come from the NW and Hudson Bay, there is a dominant cold wind in the wintertime that blows down the St. Lawrence from the northeast. It is known as Le Nordet (a contraction of nord-est).

We also get systems and winds from the Gulf of Mexico that move up the east-central U.S. towards the Great Lakes in the winter, and then into Quebec and out the Gulf of St. Lawrence. This usually starts off warm but meets up with cold air coming down from Hudson Bay that usually brings the temperature down enough to produce snow or freezing rain. Sometimes just cold rain.
Very interesting write-up what's the longest you've seen a winter snowcover last there?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:16 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Best climates ever:

Southern Florida
Upstate New York/Great Lakes Region
Central Andes over 3000m altitude
That huge peninsula east of Hudson Bay
Vladivostok and the Kuril Islands
Singapore
Siberia
Saharan Desert, especially right next to the Red Sea - lovely climate

Old 01-25-2017, 01:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Lol nah, I wouldn't want snow in June (maybe every 50 years or so for the sake of variance). I like warm/hot summers.

Ah come on. Don't bring that retarded terminology here again. Just because you don't like a climate, doesn't mean it's a climate "fail". It's literally impossible for something to be a fail geographically or climate-wise. It is what it is.

Very interesting write-up what's the longest you've seen a winter snowcover last there?
It is a failure to me hence why I wrote "IMO". For others, it.could be a climatic paradise.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I like how their version of a maritime-influenced climate has a -14/-23.1 January average! That's wild. That split between the Gulf Stream and the Icelandic Low is something else.

Also how on earth did Nain get a 15.7C reading in January and a 33.3C reading in June?
Many places in northern Canada with extreme winter cold also have very high record maximums. (They also tend to be very consistently in the mid-20s C during the summer.

For example, check out the record highs for Moosonee on James Bay:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moosonee#Climate

All-time record high is 37.8, and it's not just a one-time fluke. Record highs for May, June, August and September are all easily above 30C. And even October is close!

Old 01-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:

One of the longest I recall was probably the winter of 1995-96. The first snow fell on October 31 (which happened to be the day after the Quebec independence referendum - that's why I remember it so clearly!)

And we had snow on the ground uninterrupted until about March 10 or 15. So that's about 135 days in a row with snow on the ground.

Although according to Environment Canada the longest was the winter of 2007-2008, with 143 days of consecutive snow cover, from November 21 to April 11.

The 1995-96 winter wasn't that memorable for the amount of snow, and we often had just a thin covering during the 135 days. But the 2007-08 was just insane with 432 cm. Close to the record of 444 cm.

Snow cover is highly variable though. Most of the time it does not arrive for good until Dec. 10-15. And it's usually gone by March 10-15.

Last year it only arrived on Dec. 30. And was gone by mid-March.

I've seen it arrive as late as Jan. 10 and be gone by late February too.

I've lived in other parts of the country but have been in this area for quite a while. I've never seen snow here in May, June, July or August. I've seen very light snow flurries on the last day of September once in my life. October snow is also very, very rare. April snow is a bit more common though most years there is none, and it rarely sticks to the ground when it happens. It's not common for November to have hardly any snow at all. March tends to be a pretty wintry month though, with snow common especially in the first half.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:12 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
On April 27 we had wet snow last year. That was unbelievable... barely ever experienced such an occurence, and needless to say at that time so late in spring it wasn't too fun!

Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,497 times
Quote:
On April 27 we had wet snow last year. That was unbelievable... barely ever experienced such an occurence, and needless to say at that time so late in spring it wasn't too fun!
So did I lol. I've seen snow in May several times, so i'm surprised that snow in late April is a big deal for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather