Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
The only thing reasonable would've been for NATO to invite Russia and Ukraine to join in the early 1990's, which would've eliminated all prospects of conflict in Eastern Europe.

As it was both the U.S. and Russian military industrial complexes gain a lot of money and influence from perpetuating about foreign threats, which today is upheld by the disgraceful Democratic Party in the U.S. which is rapidly descending into a horror mix of corporate hawkery and cultural marxism.
Russia joined the NATO partnership for peace programme in 1994. Finland and Sweden are also a part of this.
What good did it make? Nothing. Russia started to rattle sabres.

The Russian military-industrial complex was devastated with the fall of the USSR. Not even today have they the capability of supplying a big military.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No wonder theunbrainwashed left the weather forum. He's in the loony bin these days: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-why-cant.html
I think he has a point as well. Friend is a stretch, but I don't see a great reason why Russia needs to be treated as an enemy or even a rival. Its government is unpleasant but plenty of governments around the world are. It's not a threat to the US or American interests in any realistic way.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

As it was both the U.S. and Russian military industrial complexes gain a lot of money and influence from perpetuating about foreign threats, which today is upheld by the disgraceful Democratic Party in the U.S. which is rapidly descending into a horror mix of corporate hawkery and cultural marxism.
Not that vapid phrase again. I have no clue how to argue against that phrase, but the Democrats feel they hold a better claim to American political values, rather than undermining them.

The US Democratic Party isn't any more corporate than its been in decades, arguably a bit less recently. Until Trump, the Republican Party was more concerned and more anti-Russian than the Democratic Party

Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Cultural marxism is not the best phrase to use. The Soviet Union was mostly left wing radicals in economic issues, they were definitely right wing on the social ones. Gay discrimination, no religious freedom, nepotism in politics, it's not what you want. I'm guessing the Republican Party would agree with quite a few of the social ideas used by the USSR

Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I've studied music for literally half of my life now, but I still don't like listening to music.
So, are you saying you only like music when you're playing it?

I listen to music all the time, both at home and while driving. Especially since discovering some forms of modern music that I like.

Quote:
Probably because you haven't heard too much good music

Whatever's played on Swedish radio is outright terrible, haven't listened since 2005... lucky for me there's plenty of rock that floats my boat!
No Eric Prydz?

Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Trump Moves to Name Fiona Hill as Top Russia Adviser, Source Says

Excellent choice

Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think he has a point as well. Friend is a stretch, but I don't see a great reason why Russia needs to be treated as an enemy or even a rival. Its government is unpleasant but plenty of governments around the world are. It's not a threat to the US or American interests in any realistic way.
Some of those governments also happen to be our allies.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
NATO didn't encircle anyone.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Looking forward to Baba's response to the conscription news I especially like that if he'd been a week or so older he'd not been called in
Seems like Sweden is getting agitated because of Russia.

There are obviously many legitimate fears for nations in close proximity to Russia.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-02-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 11:59 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Seems like Sweden is getting agitated because of Russia.

There are obviously many legitimate fears for nations in close proximity to Russia.
It'd be a joke. Back in the 80's we could keep them at bay through the air force for a full week until resupplies from NATO came and allegedly we were #4 in the world after the US, Soviet and the UK, now we may well just wave the white flag on day one. There's nothing. We should work on the air force, I don't buy this ground troups thing. Modern warfare is mostly about controlling airspace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather