Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 04:18 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Let me give you the skinny: I'm from Helsinki (the capital), and came to Turku (the original capital) to study at the University here. I've been living here for 7 years now. These two capitals have a rivalry due to their former and current status. Columnists in the largest newspaper here have belittled Helsinki referring to it as a "Eastern Finnish fishing village" (see history of Helsinki).

The main rival of Turku is Tampere, which is sometimes called the Manchester of Finland. It's an industrial city and a noob in the scene (founded in 1779), but is now the second largest urban area. A big point is that both Turku and Helsinki are in the south, while Tampere is in central Finland. This obviously means that the northerners are all hicks.

As Helsinki is like London or Paris, Tampere is the antipode of Helsinki, the voice of the provinces, while Turku hates both.
Why was the capital moved?

In terms of the Helsinki/Turku rivalry, it'seems difficult to relate here since London has pretty always been our major city throughout recorded history, the same with Paris in France. I know you're not going to like this comparison, but is it kinda like the rivalry between Moscow and St Petersburg? There's probably a lot of other comparisons, Istanbul & Ankara, Tokyo and Kyoto, Rio de Janeiro & Brasilia, etc.

The funniest city rivalry has to be Sydney and Melbourne. It's so bad that people have actually vandalised the Wikipedia pages of each city, including the climate sections, in order to damage their reputations

Last edited by Razza94; 03-16-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,507,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
In terms of the Helsinki/Turku rivalry, it'seems difficult to relate here since London has pretty always been our major city throughout recorded history, the same with Paris in France. I know you're not going to like this comparison, but is it kinda like the rivalry between Moscow and St Petersburg? There's probably a lot of other comparisons, Istanbul & Ankara, Tokyo and Kyoto, Rio de Janeiro & Brasilia, etc.

The funniest city rivalry has to be Sydney and Melbourne. It's so bad that people have actually vandalised the Wikipedia pages of each city, including the climate sections, in order to damage their reputations
Stockholm and Gothenburg here.

The funny thing is that Gothenburg would be bankrupt if not for the Stockholm tax money being sent down there

Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,694,971 times
Trondheim (Nidaros) first capital way back, then Bergen (also way back) then Oslo. Still remembered.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:46 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Trondheim (Nidaros) first capital way back, then Bergen (also way back) then Oslo. Still remembered.
I'm surprised the capital was as far north as Trondheim.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Heading back to Aussie next week -hope I don't get attacked by a wallaby.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:59 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Probably because there's better and cheaper food available.
Yes we have our own junk food or at least variants of it, that the Americans either don't do or don't do well.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:15 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Americans chains is what I meant.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Why was the capital moved?

Turku had a huge fire in 1827 which burnt down 90% of the city. When Finland was a part of Sweden Turku was the administrative and cultural centre, and when we became a Grand Duchy under Russia the czar wanted to move the city.

A bit like Moscow and St Pete, yes. But only mentally, as the Helsinki area is so dominant today in every sphere possible. The rivalry where both pull roughly equal weight is definitely Turku-Tampere.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,957,243 times
yeah Ariete y'all don't have sh*t on the sydney melbourne rivalry. go right now in the aus weather thread for examples

Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
yeah Ariete y'all don't have sh*t on the sydney melbourne rivalry. go right now in the aus weather thread for examples
lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather