Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,833,026 times

Advertisements

Here's for the countries as a whole. While there are swings from year to year, and always will be, there is still a very clear trend there:

And me, who is sitting between the temperate continental/oceanic biome and the boreal subarctic one, we see changes in nature. We don't have to rely only on climate data. Trees burst to leaves earlier than they did, migratory birds arrive earlier and leave later, we see new species that haven't been here since the medieval times, we see less sea ice in the Baltic Sea and it arrives later and melts sooner.

It's there. The evidence is overwhealming. The only country where there is any kind of "climate change controversy" is the USA. The rest of the world has accepted the facts.

But no, I don't listen to experts who work for universities and met offices paid by tax money. They must be biased. I rather believe oil and car companies who make their profits by polluting the environment! They are unbiased!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
Here's Moscow, just January

Old 07-16-2016, 05:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Berkeley Earth has produced graphs by country, city and state/province (for some places):

Berkeley Earth

Old 07-16-2016, 06:04 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,256,347 times
I believe the world is warming; HOWEVER, no one has ever proved it is due to humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The earth has gone through four previous warming cycles as well as cooling cycles and guess what; 60 million years ago, there was NO man to blame it one. I have yet to see any global warming theorists explain how the planet warmed then and why it could not be warming now for the same reason such as orbit change, rotational change, etc. (Mars is also getting warmer.)

Old 07-16-2016, 06:43 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,282,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I believe the world is warming; HOWEVER, no one has ever proved it is due to humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The earth has gone through four previous warming cycles as well as cooling cycles and guess what; 60 million years ago, there was NO man to blame it one. I have yet to see any global warming theorists explain how the planet warmed then and why it could not be warming now for the same reason such as orbit change, rotational change, etc. (Mars is also getting warmer.)
I can agree with that.

World has been warmer ...it has been cooler....

Palm trees in southern Alberta during the dinosaur age .....

Not everywhere has been warming at the same rate....

Western Canada has been warming more than eastern Canada (bummer),
especially Calgary (all southern Alberta really).

There are a few places in Alberta that now have average high temps above freezing in January,
as far north as High River, it's just south of Calgary (and Calgary is just below freezing now).

Same with USA.

Places like Phoenix (and Las Vegas,NV) are amazing, the average lows are a lot higher.
If you look at 1931-60 or even 1941-70 climate normals you will see much cooler lows,
all year long, especially in winter. Average january low in Phoenix only upper 30s F
and Las Vegas pretty much at the freezing point.
Other AZ NV places have benefitted too, including Tucson (mid 30s avg jan)

No so farther east ....for example, Dallas not much warmer in January than it ever was.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:45 PM

29,558 posts, read 19,649,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Berkeley Earth has produced graphs by country, city and state/province (for some places):

Berkeley Earth
This is Chicago's temperature trend according to Berkeley Earth. My question is how did they get data for the 1700's when no station or settlement existed?

Old 07-16-2016, 07:11 PM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Even at 1900 Aurora which has the longest contiuous station in the Chicagoland are shows a warming of 1.3F over the course of the century. And notice since 1960 the trend is more than tripple that. Now I do agree that warming trends are nowhere near what those precious climate models forecast. That's all BS. Chicago isn't turning into north Arkansas within the next 15 years as the socalled climate forecast claim
There are factors such as Urban Heat Island that could account for the minor amount of warming that has occurred. One degree Fahrenheit in a century, or about 0.4 C, is hardly an emergency and is likely within natural fluctuation range.

Quote:
A more logical assumption would be not to focus on one city.
The reason for some single-city focus is as a reality check against the "models." Models can be manipulated, adjusted or just plain "fooled around" with. Prime examples are the destruction of climate-related e-mails at East Anglia University, and the splicing of actual temperatures recorded in modern time with "proxy data" in ways that accentuate trends in a visibly alarming manner (such as the fraudulent Mann "hockey stick") make some spot-checking imperative. No good accountant, for example, takes management's word on quality of receivables. On any but the most qualified reports, they always "test" receivables by checking with some account debtors as to whether the receivables are real. Ditto physical inventories.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Quite true as well. The climate fanatics will claim that there has never been such rapid change. Thus my emphasis in showing that whatever is happening is slow and gradual, and not outside historical experience.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The reason for some single-city focus is as a reality check against the "models."
The models are generally global models, so it's a poor check. Regional areas have more natural variability than the whole globe, so you're looking at more noise and less signal.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
The models are generally global models, so it's a poor check. Regional areas have more natural variability than the whole globe, so you're looking at more noise and less signal.
Except that the "global models" are prone to all kinds of shenanigans that individual city statistics are not. And at least such effects as UHI in individual cities are widely known. Global models are basically gibberish made to look scientific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
There was a good cartoon I remember about action on climate change, with a climate sceptic calling out in a lecture "what if it's all a hoax and we make a better world for nothing?"

Like, does it even matter if it's real or not? Surely finding cleaner and more sustainable energy sources is a good goal in and of itself.
But is it a better world if enormous amounts of money are extracted from the First Wold countries and redistributed to Swiss bank accounts of Third World kleptocrats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather