Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:42 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If it were at the same longitude as Bermuda it would range from 34 N to 48 N just east of the east coast. Look at St. John's at 47 N for reference, northern New Zealand would be similar to that.
This New Zealand is further east then Bermuda, a lot further east. Invercargill would be about 47 W and Cape reinga about 43 W. Bermuda at 64 W would be no where's near by. That's why I mentioned in between Newfoundland and the Azores Islands,

Plus this makes it even more difficult to try to figure out how this scenario would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 05:43 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,507,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Yes I am aware of it, and have looked at the climate before. Too bad it's so close to Atlantic Canada. If this climate was further out in the ocean it would probably be even more interesting.
Are you aware of this climate then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotska...C3%B6n#Climate

An isolated uninhabited island in the Baltic Sea (belonging to Sweden where it is a nature reserve).

I think this may also have a lot in common with how the northern fringes of the current South Island would look like! (but with slightly more continental lows during winter, diurnal temperature variation is extremely low in the Baltic Sea that time of the year)

Old 09-01-2016, 05:50 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post

An isolated uninhabited island in the Baltic Sea (belonging to Sweden where it is a nature reserve).

I think this may also have a lot in common with how the northern fringes of the current South Island would look like! (but with slightly more continental lows during winter, diurnal temperature variation is extremely low in the Baltic Sea that time of the year)

I've never seen this climate before but it is very similar to Sable Island. For the actual Sable Island I feel that if it was southeast of it's current spot it would have warmer winters, but summers around the same temperatures, due to a lessoning of the continental influences.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I've never seen this climate before but it is very similar to Sable Island. For the actual Sable Island I feel that if it was southeast of it's current spot it would have warmer winters, but summers around the same temperatures, due to a lessoning of the continental influences.
Probably true, but also I believe that continental influences at that latitude in an east coast climate is limited to winter only (unless we're talking about stupid levels of moderation aka West Coast in front of a mountain range as the only summer moderation).

If you'd put Sable Island a farther 300 km south east, you'd probably look at a 22/15 summer and 4/0 winter in my guesstimation. Another 300 km south east (below 40 degrees latitude) more like 24/17 and 9/4 due to the rapidly increasing surface temperatures. Such small is the difference between cold semi-continental and maritime subtropics...

Old 09-01-2016, 06:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:

How does a small island 100km off the mainland end up with a summer temperature 4-5C warmer than the sea temperature? Gotska Sandon has summers that are 0.8C warmer than here, but sea temperatures are about 5C cooler than the equivalent time of summer here -doesn't really add up.

I know the days are longer, but it can't make that much of a difference.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
How does an island 100km off the mainland end up with a summer temperature 4C warmer than the sea temperature? Gotska Sandon has summers that are 0.8C warmer than here, but sea temperatures are about 5C cooler than the equivalent time of summer here -doesn't really add up.

I know the days are longer, but it can't make that much of a difference.
Sea temperature figures on the global map are a diversion when it comes to the Baltic Sea, because it's probably overlooked as a 'large lake'. I'd say water temperatures off the coast where I live during a normal summer is around 18 C during the day. During a heat wave summer, it may even rise above 20 C during certain days, unlike in the North Atlantic like Sable Island.

As for Gotska Sandön, it is kind of complicated. There is another station that is ultra-maritime nearer the coastline that is called Landsort, that as you can see has daytime highs below 20C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsort#Climate

Having said that, the Gotska Sandön and Northern Öland stations are very sheltered. Prevailing wind travels over the island during summer, whilst surface temperature right next to land is very mild in this extremely shallow sea. Maximum sea depth is 300 m in the Baltic and the average is more like 70 m. Therefore a much greater volume of the sea has surface temperature, and combined with prevailing winds travelling from Holland through Germany, through southern Sweden, through Öland (a narrow island just outside the coast) makes Gotska Sandön a 'freak' example of a warm-summer isolated island.

Northern Öland is a story on its own and is absolutely insane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96land#Climate) If you see the picture above the chart in the article it's from the same region and it doesn't resemble the rest of the country at all with the vegetation...

During the heat wave two years ago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Swedish_heat_wave) Gotska Sandön recorded an overnight low of 23.6 C/74.5 F thanks to these favorable conditions. This is an ultra-tropical night resembling central Florida summers (!)

But it would not be possible if the circumstances did not enable it through great surrounding landmass and shallow waters that moderates the nights like crazy...

On Sweden's west coast it can be even more insane. During the 2014 heat wave, I lived in Örebro quite far inland. There it was 32/14 several days. On the west coast it was more like... 23/22 out by the islands... absolutely nuts on these latitudes, but it goes to show what the Gulf Stream and some shelter can do with super-long days

Old 09-01-2016, 06:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Sea temperature figures on the global map are a diversion when it comes to the Baltic Sea, because it's probably overlooked as a 'large lake'. I'd say water temperatures off the coast where I live during a normal summer is around 18 C during the day. During a heat wave summer, it may even rise above 20 C during certain days, unlike in the North Atlantic like Sable Island.

As for Gotska Sandön, it is kind of complicated. There is another station that is ultra-maritime nearer the coastline that is called Landsort, that as you can see has daytime highs below 20C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsort#Climate

Having said that, the Gotska Sandön and Northern Öland stations are very sheltered. Prevailing wind travels over the island during summer, whilst surface temperature right next to land is very mild in this extremely shallow sea. Maximum sea depth is 300 m in the Baltic and the average is more like 70 m. Therefore a much greater volume of the sea has surface temperature, and combined with prevailing winds travelling from Holland through Germany, through southern Sweden, through Öland (a narrow island just outside the coast) makes Gotska Sandön a 'freak' example of a warm-summer isolated island.

Northern Öland is a story on its own and is absolutely insane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96land#Climate) If you see the picture above the chart in the article it's from the same region and it doesn't resemble the rest of the country at all with the vegetation...

During the heat wave two years ago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Swedish_heat_wave) Gotska Sandön recorded an overnight low of 23.6 C/74.5 F thanks to these favorable conditions. This is an ultra-tropical night resembling central Florida summers (!)

But it would not be possible if the circumstances did not enable it through great surrounding landmass and shallow waters that moderates the nights like crazy...

On Sweden's west coast it can be even more insane. During the 2014 heat wave, I lived in Örebro quite far inland. There it was 32/14 several days. On the west coast it was more like... 23/22 out by the islands... absolutely nuts on these latitudes, but it goes to show what the Gulf Stream and some shelter can do with super-long days
Interesting -those are some pretty nice temperatures there.

Still a slightly warmer summer sea temperature here though, but here has colder averages, and nights close to freezing in summer. It's like the sea has no warming effect on minimums here, while on Gotska Sandon and Northern Oland, slightly cooler sea temperatures, still result in summer nights that are 3-4C warmer.

Oceanic moderation doesn't always work in an obvious way.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Interesting -those are some pretty nice temperatures there.

Still a slightly warmer summer sea temperature here though, but here has colder averages, and nights close to freezing in summer. It's like the sea has no warming effect on minimums here, while on Gotska Sandon and Northern Oland, slightly cooler sea temperatures, still result in summer nights that are 3-4C warmer.

Oceanic moderation doesn't always work in an obvious way.
I think it's got to do with two things that causes lower overnight lows adjacent to oceans on lower latitudes when on continents compared to Northern Öland and Gotska Sandön:

1, The continental 'hangover' effect: Without any land to the west to fall back upon, any wind contrary to from the ocean brings cool air to the shore (Half Moon Bay has very cool nights as well).

2, The long nights: When surface temperatures are gentle and the sea is shallow combined with a short night, it allows continued and reliable moderation throughout the entire summer. Going through the last 14 summers of Gotska Sandön in a personal Word document I transcribed from the official SMHI documents, no single July had an average low below 13.4 - even during downright chilly summers. Also no August below 13.7 since the moderate heat remains, similar to the lag at the lower-latitude Sable climate. So - reliable shallow waters and short nights make a huge difference.

I'd call it the 'East Coast summer effect' along with the 'Portland vs Portland effect': East coasts have nice and smooth summer nights due to continental heat along with quite warm seasonal waters. Also, 'hinterlands' behind the maritime west coast climates see background heat in winter than aides the warming of the summers. It's ultra-favorable, simple as that.

Feel free to send a private message with your e-mail address in it and I can send you basically any Swedish weather station you like's recent data... been working hard on it, the text is in Swedish but it's still ultra-easy to understand since months are called basically the same

Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
I've been looking at the climate contrasts between Newfoundland and the Azores Islands and thought of a scenario.

What if New Zealand was in the North Atlantic Ocean at the same latitude as it's current spot, but now it's in between Newfoundland and the Azores Islands. Plus in this scenario it would be flipped over so that North Island is now South Island, and South Island is now North Island. Auckland is now pointing towards the Azores Islands and Invercargill is pointing towards Newfoundland.

Do you think New Zealand would have the same climate as at it's present spot? The same flora? How do you think the Gulf Stream would effect it? How would New Zealand effect Europe? What about hurricanes?
You'd possibly destroy the north atlantic conveyor among other issues.

Grossly complex issue suitable only for someone with a COMPLEX geo-simluator that could re-figure the impact on currents etc.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
This New Zealand is further east then Bermuda, a lot further east. Invercargill would be about 47 W and Cape reinga about 43 W. Bermuda at 64 W would be no where's near by. That's why I mentioned in between Newfoundland and the Azores Islands,

Plus this makes it even more difficult to try to figure out how this scenario would be.
Oh sorry for the confusion, I was actually responding to tom's post about NZ being at the same longitude as Bermuda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather